Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bit Defender is blocking multiple sites including Google and Bitdefender websites using Firefox

Options

I thought this may have been related to the latest version of Firefox 66.0.2 however when I turn off the Protection Shield in the latest version of Bitdefender I'm no longer getting the following message...

Firefox detected a potential security threat.

When I turn off the 'Protection Shield' sites display normally. I'm however getting a message in Windows 10 to turn on my antivirus software.

So it seems to be related to Bitdefender at this time using the latest version of Firefox.

No blocking or messages are appearing using Chrome and sites are displaying without issue.

I've attached image to show what is displaying on screen.

bitdefender.jpg

Comments

• Stefan I.
    Options

Hello,

It looks like our security certificates were not installed correctly on that browser. Please follow the steps below to address that:

- Open Firefox

- Press the top right menu with three horizontal lines

- Click on Options

- Click the padlock in the left menu (Privacy & Security)

- Scroll down and click on View Certificates

- Go to Authorities tab

- The list is shown in alphabetical order, from A to Z. Check if the entry Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender is listed here, under Certificate Name. Select it and press "Delete or Distrust", then OK. If Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender doesn't appear in the list, continue with the steps below.

- Now click the "Import" button and select the file below and then press Open

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt 

- tick all the boxes in the next window and keep pressing Next until the certificate is installed

- once Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender appears in the list select it then press "Edit Trust"

- check the box "This certificate can identify web sites"

- close, then open Firefox and check if the web pages load fine now

• Mackuk
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately that did not work. I got as far as ' "Delete or Distrust", then OK.'

I deleted the certificate.

I'm using the free version and could not find the ' mitm_cache ' folder.

Sites including yours and Google.com and many others are still being blocked unless I turn off the Protection Shield in Bitdefender.

• Mackuk
    Options

Update on this.

Have noticed google.co.uk is not being blocked, however google.com is.

In the search box top of Firefox 66.0.2 it uses google.com which is being blocked when typing in a search terms.

• Mackuk
    Options

Ended up uninstalling Bitdefender Free edition and I'm now just using Windows Defender.

Sites are no longer being blocked now.

• Stefan I.
    Options

Hello,

Wasn't aware that you were using our free edition. The file path is a bit different there.

If you'd like to give the app another try, the file path to import certificates on it is: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\web\mitm_cache

• JustMeJB
    Options

I'm using the free version also, and had the same problem. I found a youtube video that showed what to do, but it didn't work. I found Stefan's (Dovahbear) instructions here and was surprised to see he used the same Explorer address as what I had already tried when I followed the youtube's instructions:  C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt  (btw, the .crt behind fake-ca didn't show either of the times that I opened the mitm_cache folder)   This time, though, I followed Stefan's instruction to go to Firefox Options,  Privacy & Security, View Certificates (in the Certificates area at the bottom), Import button at the bottom, and found my way to mitm_cache\fake-ca and clicked on it, but I got a different popup message than what came up when I followed the youtube's instructions. I did what it asked and/or clicked Okay (sadly I don't recall what the pop-up message said) and when I attempted to open Firefox it loaded with no problems!

I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else had tried the youtube video I had seen and it didn't get the results they said you would get.

Thank you Stefan  --  I was on the verge of uninstalling Bitdefender Free edition also!

• Have tried the above with Bitdefender Internet Security - no luck.

The file: 'fake-ca.crt' does not exist on my system.

• So, any resolution to this yet? I bought Bitdefender Internet Security just a week ago & now I find it all but disables my browser of choice. I'm not beset with joy.

• Roxana G
    Options

On 6/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, HorseBlanket said:

So, any resolution to this yet? I bought Bitdefender Internet Security just a week ago & now I find it all but disables my browser of choice. I'm not beset with joy.

Hello HorseBlanket,

We are still working on  a permanent fix. Meanwhile, please try reinstalling your product and during the reinstall process keep all your browsers and email client closed. In case you are using a Mozilla Master Password, please temporary disable it while reinstalling the product.

• On 6/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, Roxana G said:

Hello HorseBlanket,

We are still working on  a permanent fix. Meanwhile, please try reinstalling your product and during the reinstall process keep all your browsers and email client closed. In case you are using a Mozilla Master Password, please temporary disable it while reinstalling the product.

Yes, that worked. Thank you.