Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Working on de-bugging an app issue... and they are saying check the antivirus. Help.

Options

I am having an issue with another Windows application, and one of the points their support folks are making is saying to look at how my antivirus program interacts with their program. So I need to know IF Bitdefender is doing what they say might be the issue here.

So here's the scenario:

I'm on a high end-ish Win 10 Pro machine designed for video and audio editing work (liquid cooled i9, clocked a bit, 64 G RAM, multiple SSDs, etc.). Hardware is pretty much ruled-out in the issue. After a bunch of diagnostics work sending file stuff to them, everything in my machine specs tells the support people the problem I am having shouldn't be happening. But it is. So they are thinking it is maybe "procedural" within the machine environment.

What we are getting is too slow rendering of HD and 4K video files (compared to what would be expected with my machine specs).

When rendering a video, the program in question creates single frames as image files at a rate of 24, 30, or 60 frames per second (depending on what is selected). Then the single frames are run like traditional animation works. At the moment, we are debugging @ 30 fps. So the program is creating new files at a needed rate of 30 fps of video time ... which is a lot of newly created files in a unit of time for it to render or display at any kind of decent rate. 10 secs of video is 300 new individual files that get created, processed, and displayed.

They mention that SOME anti-virus software programs scan each individual file as it is created by a program in order to make sure it is a "safe" file that is happening or being used. They don't know if Bitdefender is one of them that does this kind of thing.

So my first question is: Does Bitdefender do something like this?

And my second question is: Is there a way to tell Bitdefender to "ignore" anything at ALL to do with a particular program's running and activities, without just turning BItdefender off altogether when using the program?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

best,...........................john

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @WiltonJohn and welcome to the Community!

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend to create an exception that will stop Advanced Threat Defense from interfering with the legitimate process of a trusted app. You can find the detailed steps on how to achieve this by checking the article below:

Then, you can also exclude the folder where the files in question are kept, from Antivirus scanning. To do this, simply follow the instructions presented in the link below:

Let us know if this helps.

Best wishes.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• @Alexandru_BD ,

Thanks for the fast reply and the welcome.

I'll take a look at those links and take the recommended actions. The program in question is pretty expensive paid commercial ware... so I'm not worried about it from a security point of view. And I DO scan any content I might bring in for use in that program. So having stuff "off" for that use does not worry me.

Do you know specifically if Bitdefender actually "looks at" / scans every file as it is created and/or as it is opened?

If so, at that 30 frames per second as the video software is compositing and displaying a video in the viewer window, it is creating 30 new files every second, and then opening 30 files per second, and then trying to also DISPLAY them at 30 files per second. Even with my fast SSDs on holding the video files (and Bitdefender)........ all that scanning is gonna' impart a lot of processing time "lag".

I'll post the results back here in a while. Thanks.

best,

...........................john