Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Virus Found But No Response Taken

Options

//b

Over the past week I've been running bitdefender on my HP Media Center PC m7248n 4200+ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor computer. Bitdefender says that it has found a virus: Generic.PWS.Games.4.ECF6104A in D:\I386\apps\app12833\src\install\WorldWide-MediaCenter\games\{1280194E-E905-4253-95E7-40169E2A4848}.exe=>(NSIS o)=>lzma_solid_nsis 0001 and that no response can be taken because it is located in the archives. Is this a virus?

I've turned of system restore and then I ran counter spy, webroot, spybot-sd, Malwarebytes, TrendMicro and adaware in the safe mode to remove this virus. All these programs show that my computer is clear. When I try to start bitdefender in safe mode it freezes.

On my system the single harddrive is partitioned into c: drive (main) and d: (recovery). Bitdefender has found said virus in the d: drive and cannot remove it because it is in the archives. The files on my system for the d: drive are locked. How do I disinfect the d: drive or remove the infected file?

Thanks

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello generic,

Please press the windows button together with r now type this msconfig press enter. High light the start-up tab and look for an entry called hpsysdrv.exe if so uncheck it. Confirm to reboot your pc but keep pressing F8 button before the windows splash screen. Select safe mode press enter. Log in with your account. Now try to access d: ignore the warning. Search for this D:\I386\apps\app12833\src\install\WorldWide-MediaCenter\games\{1280194E-E905-4253-95E7-40169E2A4848}.exe

In this case I am assuming that this is false positiv. So I recommend that you archive it. See this topic for instructions more specifically the 2nd post. Upload it to your next post. There is a 2 mb upload limit. Otherwise just upload the file on an online file host and attach the download link into a text file and upload that. For file hosts see also that topic. If you have done that go back to the start-up tab and check hpsysdrv.exe again and reboot your pc now.

Kind regards,

Niels

• generic
    edited November 2008
    Options

Hello Niels,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I've been working with Bitdefender customer support to resolve this issue. Using winrar I was able to open the d: drive and see the "infected" file. I sent it to Bitdefender and they said as you assumed that it was a false positive. My question is, how come only recently is this file being detected as a virus? Do I need to worry any longer?

I was able to archive the file, but it's too big to send. I will try to find an online host.

Sincerely,

Generic

Hello generic,

Please press the windows button together with r now type this msconfig press enter. High light the start-up tab and look for an entry called hpsysdrv.exe if so uncheck it. Confirm to reboot your pc but keep pressing F8 button before the windows splash screen. Select safe mode press enter. Log in with your account. Now try to access d: ignore the warning. Search for this D:\I386\apps\app12833\src\install\WorldWide-MediaCenter\games\{1280194E-E905-4253-95E7-40169E2A4848}.exe

In this case I am assuming that this is false positiv. So I recommend that you archive it. See this topic for instructions more specifically the 2nd post. Upload it to your next post. There is a 2 mb upload limit. Otherwise just upload the file on an online file host and attach the download link into a text file and upload that. For file hosts see also that topic. If you have done that go back to the start-up tab and check hpsysdrv.exe again and reboot your pc now.

Kind regards,

Niels