Clicked on a scam email

Hello all,

Last week, before signing up for Bitdefender I unfortunately clicked on a scammer email (it was disguised as an email from a friend asking if I recognize a pic).

The minute I clicked, I knew it was a mistake. I quickly delegated the email.

What more should I do? I am scared to use my mobile for any transactional activities. Bc it was email even scared to do anything on my iPad as well.

Help please

Thanks

Answers

• Hello @Tystar and welcome to Bitdefender and the Community!

Well, the first step would be to scan the device. The scan will reveal if there is anything to worry about. If you haven't saved files and didn't run any executable from the scam e-mail, you should be fine.

Let us know what the scan results are.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello @Alexandru_BD,

Thank you for the welcome and the information. No thank God didn't save anything, just clicked on the link and it led me to a political article.

I've run the scan several times and so far the results are clean.

Thanks again for the response.

Regards

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

@Tystar , I know what you mean as far as the photo "I need to see". My stepmoms email was hacked and I've gotten about two of those from her in the last week. I use a PC a lot, so I usually check those by hovering over the name.

In the last couple of days, Mcafee (small "a") wants me back, really, really bad. Even though I've never used McAfee before. Three different address from the same domain, as once you report one as Spam, they just use another address.

We really need to be on our toes these days, don't we.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi Scott,

Yes that's exactly it. I think you're already doing a great job of being diligent, this Mcafee one is a great chat and it also helped that you've never been a customer.

And you're right, going forwards I have to be on my toes for sure. Am sure now they're usingu.name/email address to spam others.

I appreciate the response.

Thanks

• McAfee antivirus scams are one of the most common ones doing rounds these days. Several users reported receiving emails or messages claiming that either their McAfee subscription is about to expire or has already been renewed and they have to pay the subscription fee and these reports can be easily found on various forums on a Google search.

Identifying a phishing email from the lot is not simple but with a few quick pointers in mind, you can easily spot them in time and take the necessary action.

• Check for grammatical errors: Phishing emails are likely to have errors mostly in their communication. The grammar might be off, and also, there might be spelling mistakes.
    • Check the sender’s email address: The sender’s address in a phishing email doesn’t have the domain name of the corporation.
    • Examine the images and graphics: The graphics in phishing emails are of inferior quality and have low resolution. For instance, the logo of the official source would be blurry or certain parts of it could be missing.
    • Check how the sender addresses you: Since scammers do not have your complete details yet, phishing emails do not address with your name and instead use phrases like Dear customer.
    • Examine the links: Verify the links listed in the email and if these don’t go with the subject, it’s likely a phishing email. For instance, an official communication from McAfee would have links related to the antivirus and not redirect you to other websites.

This being said, since the e-mail addresses are probably generated automatically and they create new ones all the time, even if they are being reported or marked as spam, there are situations where they keep flooding the inboxes.

To stop "McAfee" phishing emails, you can go into Outlook settings. View all Outlook settings Rules >+Add new rule >"your chosen options". Some users made a rule to delete any messages with "McAfee" in the subject line or body. That should cover all of them.

Cheers.

• Thank You @Alexandru_BD , this is incredibly helpful.

cheers.

• You are most welcome @Tystar, glad I could help.

Cheers