Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Email Scanning in BD AV 10

Options

Hello:

Simple questions today.

1 does BD 10 scan both incoming and outgoing email? I only scanning on incoming

2 does BD 1o scan the message or the attachments in and out

3 does it use all signatures bot AV and ASW? in scanning?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello Escaladar

1) BitDefender scans by default both incoming as outgoing email.

2)BitDefender scans the attachments and also the message. You can verify when you receive or send a mail than you will normally see a kind of popup of BitDefender where you can see it's scanning.

3) The attachments are both scanned with anti-spyware and anti-virus signatures.

Regards

Niels

• Unknown
    Options

Also BD don't scan encrypted (SSL) traffic. So if you grab your gmail inbox with thunderbird for example and has viruses bitdefender can't know until you ru the attachemnt..

• Also BD don't scan encrypted (SSL) traffic. So if you grab your gmail inbox with thunderbird for example and has viruses bitdefender can't know until you ru the attachemnt..

Hmmm seems like a choice between gmail validation versus virus's sneaking past. What do you think?

Doesn't thunderbird check virus?

• Hello Escaladar

2)BitDefender scans the attachments and also the message. You can verify when you receive or send a mail than you will normally see a kind of popup of BitDefender where you can see it's scanning.

3) The attachments are both scanned with anti-spyware and anti-virus signatures.

Regards

Niels

Niels:

My ISP uses 110,587 ports for in and out email. Do?how I have to chnage BD options for these scans to work?

• khufu
    Options

Gmail use SSL connection. If you create an account in Thunderbird for Gmail you will have to use 995(SSL connection) for pop3 server and 587(TSL) connection for SMTP.

You will receive e-mails trough 995 port (SSL).

• Gmail use SSL connection. If you create an account in Thunderbird for Gmail you will have to use 995(SSL connection) for pop3 server and 587(TSL) connection for SMTP.

You will receive e-mails trough 995 port (SSL).

TY

I use MS Outlook for email or just my isp server mail service.

• husky
    Options
    Also BD don't scan encrypted (SSL) traffic. So if you grab your gmail inbox with thunderbird for example and has viruses bitdefender can't know until you ru the attachemnt..

In other words no snowballs chance in h**l to get BD to scan incoming gmail. :huh:

• Hello Escaladar

Regards

Niels

Hi Niels:

My ISP uses 110,587 ports for in and out email. Do?how I have to change BD mail port options for these scans to work?

• khufu
    Options

I do not know why i had the impression that you use Thunderbird and Gmail.

My bad :D

• Niels
    Options

Hi Escaladar

So far as I know BitDefender scans only the default ports of in and outgoing mail. The problem is that you can't change the ports if they are different from the default ports.

Regards

Niels

• JTMBDF
    Options
    So far as I know BitDefender scans only the default ports of in and outgoing mail. The problem is that you can't change the ports if they are different from the default ports.

Too bad all the techs at BitDefender Technical Support not aware of this. (and I had known about this forum)

Shortly after an BD update (that required system restart), AT&T changed their email ports to the SSL ports.

Just assumed that the cause for no longer getting the pop-up from BD showing that it is scanning incoming or outgoing mail was due to a bad BD update.

Emailed BD Tech Support that I was using BD AV v10, and after an update was no longer getting the pop-up from BD showing that it is scanning incoming or outgoing mail.

First reply was to "Please open BitDefender and go to the Antispam module to check if it is disabled."

I sent a reply back that per my email I was using BD AV v10, not BD AV Plus v10.

Second reply email from BD Tech Support said I needed to download the latest BD AV v10 from link provided, uninstall and reinstall. Needless to say that was of no help. :(

I did some searching and came upon this forum/post.

Have since sent a reply to BD Tech Support that they need:

* To notify all techs about asking users if they're using SSL ports for email before telling users to uninstall and reinstall BD AV.

* Improve info in BD Help section on email scanning -- nothing noted as what email ports are being or not being scanned.

• Niels
    Niels
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hello Jon T

You can post your suggestions in this forumsection: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=13

Softwin (BitDefender) looks at that section. Most isp uses the default ports that are assigned by the international assigned number autorithy. This is their website: http://www.iana.org/ Here you will find the assigned default ports:

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/

Regards

Niels

• JTMBDF
    Options

Niels,

Thanks for the reply and info/links.

I'm aware of the standard ports used for email, was just referring to BitDefender's Help does not provide any info on the emails ports it scans.

Here in the U.S. most of the "Baby Bells" telcos have been acquired by SBC, now AT&T.

With AT&T switching to using the SSL email ports, going to affect a lot of users in the U.S.

Jon