Bitdefender Does Not Turn Off Windows Defender. Any Advice?

Rich A
edited November 2022 in Install & Updates

Have installed BitDefender on windows 10 64-bit pro PC. Been having crashing issue with MsSense.exe crashing and MS Windows Defender for a long time before installng BitDefender today. Was never able to turn off Windows Defender and still can't. Decided to install a 3rd party A/V (BitDefender) which I thought would disable the Win 10 Defender built in A/B. But I still have the original Windows Defender running after installing BitDefender. The windows Defender program and all it's services are still running and crashing. All attempts to uninstall, stop, or disable the Windows "Defender" A/V do not work. The error is involving the MsSense.exe which shows it crashing and starting and stopping ALL DAY long every five mnutes. I was really hoping that switching over to a 3rd party A/V would stop this problem (just installed BitDefender) but my system now shows TWO active antivirus programs running. Window Defender AND BitDefender.

In addition to the constant starting and stopping of the MsSense.exe the PC sometimes crashes completely with a BSOD (caused by MsSense.exe crashing. I've even tried an in-place replace / repair windows with the correct latest MS Win ISO for my system and the problem can not be fixed. Wonder if anyone in this community has run into a problem where they could not turn off Windows Defender and just use BitDefender for all their security needs (which I what I would like to do).

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

When Bitdefender is installed it will automatically turn off Windows Defender (Passive Mode).

TBH, so far i haven't read a thread by a user that has the same issue as yours.

My advice to you would be to do the steps below.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Hello,

I haven't encountered this scenario before and as @Gjoksi wrote, Bitdefender will automatically turn off Windows Defender. If this doesn't happen, I would also recommend getting in touch with the Support Teams.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user