Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is There Way To Run Web Protection Without VPN On iOS Device?

aule10
edited November 2022 in Mobile Security

Hey so i tried to setup my IOS devices with bitdefender, and when i turned on webprotection it ask for VPN setup. I do not wish for you to setup any god damn VPN on my phones. And it should not be a thing for web protection. The only thing this will do is to make me suspicious of your usage of my data, because no i dont trust you enough to allow you to be able to look at everything i do on my phone, through a VPN which is what this enables you to do. So is there anyway i can actually use your mobile web protection, in a safe way? if not your mobile protection for IOS is useless, which is sad, because it works fine without VPN on andriod.

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited November 2022

Hello @aule10 and welcome to the Community!

As the two operating systems are very different, they allow separate development routes when it comes to the available features.

On iOS, for Web Protection Bitdefender uses a custom VPN that only picks up DNS traffic to check if access to a certain domain is safe. If it's not safe, it will be blocked. Otherwise, the rest of the traffic follows the normal path, not through the VPN tunnel.

Compared to Android, this method allows us to protect all traffic on the device, not only on browsers, but also from other applications on the device.

There are also a few screens in the app that explain the mechanism:

The user can revoke these permissions from Settings -> Web Protection -> Agreement, but then Web Protection will become inactive:

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

In addition to what @Alexandru_BD already said, check out this article:

Regards.

• Gjoksi, that is rather simple, it's because web protection is using a VPN to do the protection, you can only have 1 VPN enabled at a time.

• This sucks. The VPN I use is so much better than the BitDefender one. Even if it weren’t, the issue would still be the same. I can’t turn on iOS web protection and not agree to use the BitDefender VPN. Bit Control Central also always shows my iOS devices at risk. The MacOS version has no problem with my using another VPN. Is there a workaround or do I just have to delete BitDefender for iOS and get another product from another company instead?