Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

system scan

Options

I started a system scan. My only reference is Norton as I have run systems scan using it. Is the bitdefender scan slow or is it my imagination? It's run for 25 minutes and has scanned less than 10,000 items. At this rate it may be scanning after midnight.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @rslackde

No, it is not your imagination, the initial System scan can be slow, but there is a workaround that can be found in this article to help speed it up. The subsequent scans will go faster, as Bitdefender will index files that have not been modified or changed.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Sue Price
    Sue Price Director, BSocSci, JP
    Options

Tried to do a system scam, gave up when it reached 22 hours and over 6million files. In stopping the procedure I have no way to check the 35 files that came up needing to be checked.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited January 9
    Options

Hello @Sue Price,

You can run the scan again and the second time it won't take that long and any files need checking will appear again in the scan log. Because System Scan performs a thorough scan of the entire system, depending on your disk space the scan may take up to an hour or more.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sue Price ,

It might also be helpful to know the make and model of your computer, RAM installed, and available hard disk/SSD free space, as well as the version of Windows you are running.

A full system scan on my computer (Dell XPS 8930 SE) with 180 GB of programs and data takes about 20 minutes. BD reports scanning 3.6 million files. Even an initial scan should not take anywhere near 22 hours unless the computer has issues, a very slow processor, insufficient RAM, other programs hogging resources, etc., or a combination of those factors. There are numerous possible reasons.

More information is essential to assist us in ascertaining the cause of such slow scanning.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor