CHATGPT OPENAI.COM fraud

64pplc
64pplc Phd
edited May 2023 in General Topics

Anyone aware of the CHATGPT OPENAI.COM fraud?

Have a look at

https://community.openai.com/t/my-card-was-used-for-chatgpt-subscription-payment-fraud/172663/46

Below what happened to me:

I received a 2FA from my bank on 26/04/2023 at 22:40 for 24 USD CHATGTP subscription , I did not notice the request so it was discarded, but at the same time I received a SMS from my bank, telling me that there was a potential fraud. Saw both the request and the SMS 27/04/2023 at 10 AM. I cancelled my credit card right away.

Unfortunetely, the 28/04/2023, I received a notification for 2 x 24 USD CHATGTP subscription which where authorized by my Bank the 27/04/2023 without 2FA …

I have never used ChatGTP, I guess the money does not go to OpenAI, their billing system seems completely fooled …

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited May 2023

No, I was unaware of this until I saw this post. Looking at the openai community, I see that there are many users who report the same unwanted charges. I think it's best to open a chargeback with your bank for the respective amounts and block your card. A quick search on the internet revealed they experienced an outage in March and some data might have been exposed during this:

According to their statement, I quote: "Upon deeper investigation, we also discovered that the same bug may have caused the unintentional visibility of payment-related information of 1.2% of the ChatGPT Plus subscribers who were active during a specific nine-hour window."

I hope you'll get to the bottom of this and I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi,

Thanks for you reply. The weird thing is that have never been on the openAI.com site ... And that the fraud bypassed the 2FA. Still puzzled by that.

Anyway, as soon as I discovered the fraud, I cancelled the credit card (VISA by the way) and asked my bank for a chargeback.

Regards