Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Hacker

Options
EddyBear
edited June 2023 in General Topics

Hi folks,

I have recently received an email from a would-be hacker who claims that he has videos of me and unless I credit his/her BITCOIN account with funds, I will be embarrassed by the release of said videos.

I am probably in the wrong section to discuss this matter, but some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EddyBear

Best Answer

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

That must be the oldest phishing tactic in history.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I am quite aware that I am possibly concerned about nothing, but........................

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

If this is a concern, you can do the following:

• A full system scan to find out if anything suspicious resides in the device;
    • Export the scan log by following the instructions from the article below and send it to the Support engineers for further analysis.

Based on the scan log, the engineers will determine if anything malicious has been planted on the device or if there are any records of suspicious activity. But I doubt it, like I said, these phishing schemes go way back and usually the perpetrators use cheap scary tactics to lure potential victims into thinking they caught them with something sensitive and threaten to release the information publicly, if they don't pay a ransom. The malicious actors usually spam inboxes randomly with such messages, who are often poorly written and have gramatical errors, hoping someone will take the bait. That's where the term "phishing" comes from.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user