Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question About Build Updates

Options

Hey guys,

New to bitdefender and i just had my first build update.

I was just watching youtube when my microsoft alert told me that i needed to enable an antivirus out of nowhere. I looked and bitdefender was shut off. I clicked the icon on my desktop and got "file location cannot be found"

Then bitdefender just reopened and told me it was updated and i had to restart for the changes to be complete.

I tried googling it and searching these forums for an answer but had no luck, is this normal when bitdefender updates builds?

Like, there was no warning at all and it scared the fk outta me.

I am now at build 27.0.14.75 Engine version 7.94921

If anybody could shed some light on this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• ConfusedUser
    Options

Hi @Scott

Thank you for all the information.

I am glad to know that this is normal but man did it shave a few years off of my life when it randomly happened.

It appears to have happened almost exactly like how Alexandru explained except it didnt happen when I booted up windows, it happened randomly when I was using it. Thank you for the extra clarification that I am still, in fact, protected during this time.

I have noticed that bitdefender does updates hourly (what i have it set to) for malware/virus signatures and I am happy to just let those go but is there a way i can get an update just for new builds so that way I can be alerted to when that will happen?

Also, when I restarted and system scanned, i got the "this is the first time you are system scanning so this might take a while" message. Is that because of the new build update (since it seems like in did some variation of an uninstall/reinstall real quickly)?

Sorry for the follow up questions but I switched to bitdefender and bought a new PC because my last one went rogue on me so i am kind of paranoid at the moment.

Once again, thank you very much for all the information provided. You have made me feel much better.

PS: Seems like I am one of the lucky ones with the brand new build first :D

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

No problem with the follow-up question :) "Shaved a few years off my life"..lol :)

The initial System scan can take a while, so you get that notification. They even created an article with some tips to speed it up. Once the first system scan is completed the subsequent scan will be faster and shorter, as BD cache's files that have not been modified. After a build update, the System scan will still be shorter than the first, as a new build won't reset that.

You're asking some good questions, I hoped this reply helped as well :)

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Be safe, not paranoid.

• ConfusedUser
    Options

Hello @Scott

Yea I understand that is why I got the notification but it wasnt my first system scan (i run one daily when i first start the computer). Thats why i was confused when it said it was my first one. It completed at about the same speed/duration of all my other scans, just found it weird that I got that pop up again and was just wondering if that was only because of the build update.

Thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer my questions :D

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

To be honest, I run so few System Scans, once or twice a month, that I've never had that notification after a build update, so I'm not sure. I do the more frequent, once or twice a week Quick scans.

And you're welcome, @ConfusedUser , it was gladly done :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Be safe, not paranoid.

• ConfusedUser
    Options

Hello @Scott

Fair enough. I usually just run 1 a day to be extra safe and my PC has nothing installed on it except bitdefender, chrome and firefox so it usually completes in under 10 minutes. I will have to test this next time I get a build update to see if its every time or not so i can help someone in the future if they have this same question!

Thank you again for all of your help. I hope you have a great rest of your day/night :D