Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

All of a sudden vpn won't connect, keep getting Error code 9. Was working fine until an hour ago!!

Options

How to fix an error code 9 on vpn which was working fine until an hour ago..

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello.

Follow the steps from this article:

If that didn't help, you should contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

Chat is the fastest way to get in touch with Bitdefender Consumer Support.

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

Regards.

• Thanks, but went through all of that..came back an hour later and it was up and running!!!!!!

Go figure..

• Gjoksi
    Options

@Alexandru_BD

Kindly check on this issue. Thanks.

@JackofallTRADES

Wait for @Alexandru_BD's response, as he works for Bitdefender.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

@JackofallTRADES the VPN team opened an investigation concerning this error message. So far, it seems that the situation has been fixed.

If the error comes back, kindly get in touch with the Technical Support teams, as they are collecting more information to assist the development teams in their investigation.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• EM
    Options

Tried VPN now and it still gets error code 9. What to do?

• Omar Alani
    Options

Hello All,

I normally don’t have any problem and tried VPN now and reinstalled it and followed the given solution and it still gets error code 9. What should we do?

• Gjoksi
    Options

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a connectivity log file, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

This was a temporary glitch that has been resolved, kindly retry to connect and let us know the outcome.

Regards

• knott
    Options

@BD Seems like a whole lot of stuff to do, in order for your product to work right.

I wonder if I can still get my money back so I can go with someone else?

Jeff

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @knott,

That's a bit generic, don't you think? 🙂

Can you share with us exactly what seems to be the problem/error message you are experiencing?

Due to a large number of possible system configurations and installed software, determining what might cause an issue with a specific Bitdefender module/feature is not as simple as it sounds and everything must be taken into consideration. For this reason, a debug log from the affected PC is sometimes required, in the event the basic troubleshooting steps don't fix the issue you have encountered. The support teams created a special tool to diagnose and troubleshoot Bitdefender installation failures or product issues on Windows computers. This Support tool collects details required for debugging technical issues, such as logs and product usage information, thus in some cases this means the user is required to follow a couple of steps to generate the logs and send them to the Bitdefender engineers for further investigation.

It's like when your engine management light comes on and you take your car to the mechanic. They will have to investigate thoroughly to find the source of the problem, they won't know what's wrong just by looking at it from a distance or listening to the engine over the phone.

Of course, if you are not satisfied with your Bitdefender purchase, you can request a refund within 30 days of your initial purchase or of the automatic renewal date by using the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Regards,

Alex

• knott
    Options

No. I don't think it's generic to say. And the difference in the check engine light coming on, in my $45,000 car and my $50 vpn not connecting is really quite different. A check engine light coming on, doesn't make the car turn off!

But keep on thinking it's relatable, Genius.

No worries though. I got your vpn to work with a computer reboot.

But since I've had the program over 30 day's, I'll wait till the service is up and use one of the many vpn's out there.

I was using CyberGhost. But that was for a vpn only and I needed an AV as well.

At any rate. I'll figure it out.

Thank's Jeff

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @knott,

Through the earlier comparison, I was trying to highlight the fact that there can be several reasons why the vpn may not connect. While connectivity issues may also be caused by a specific server that you are connecting to, if we remove the infrastructure from the equation, or a possible bug, there are a few common causes of Bitdefender VPN errors, as the support article on this topic explains:

• No Internet – Make sure your device is connected to the Internet with a fast and stable connection.
    • Firewall – Check that your firewall isn’t blocking the VPN. If you’re not sure, look in your router’s manual, contact the manufacturer or your Internet provider.
    • Another VPN or Proxy – If you’re running another VPN or Proxy, disable it when trying to connect.
    • Public Wi-Fi (like in a hotel, school, or office) – Contact the network administrator to see if they can change the firewall settings and allow the VPN connection.
    • Port 443 is blocked – Port 443 UDP must be open for Bitdefender VPN to work. Access your router’s settings by typing its IP address into a web browser (refer to your router’s manual if necessary), find “Port Forwarding” or a similar section, and ensure Port 443 with UDP protocol is allowed. Save settings, then restart router and computer.

True, you may still drive with your check engine light on, but in many cases it's a matter of time until it goes into limp mode. 😉

If the issue is not caused by the VPN itself and the problem is elsewhere, the situation can persist with another vpn as well. This is why I recommend going through the basic troubleshooting steps before anything else.

Of course, it's entirely your decision to make. I was just trying to help, you can take it as it is or as you see fit.

Regards,

Alex