Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

2023 Unable to Show Hidden Files in Windows 10: Is this still BitDefender doing this?

Options

Hi there. I have used BitDefender for over a decade. In previous editions there was sometimes a conflict with Intrusion Detention that prevented you from toggling Show Hidden Files and Folders in the File Explorer view settings, but it didn't matter because you could temporarily toggle it off.

There isn't any such setting in the current free version. But I presumed that wouldn't be a problem if I simply togged off both the Shield and Advanced Threat scanning for a given period, during which I could get "Show Hidden Files and Folders" to be sticky.

Unfortunately, this did not work. I tried using folder settings, control panel settings, running a bat file and manually making changes to my registry. I still can't see Hidden Files and Folders and when I toggle the checkboxes to see them, the checks instantly disappear.

There is also another oddity: BitDefender Shield (In Protection/Advanced/Shield) might not be going off when I toggle it off. It toggles just fine, asking me how long I want it to stay off, but when I go back into settings during the period it is supposedly off, the toggle says it is ON!

I have seen some old posts here and in Reddit from ticked off people who believe it is wholly impossible since 2022 to simultaneously show hidden files and run BitDefender, but I find that hard to believe: it doesn't sound like something developers would do on purpose.

Can you please tell me whether or not this is so? And if it is so, and I uninstall BitDefender in order to be able to see my hidden files, will I still be able to see them if I reinstall it?

I am extremely flummoxed. Until I saw all the posts blaming BitDefender, I presumed malware was preventing me from seeing by hidden files, but I ran deep scans with BitDefender, Malwarebytes and other tools on the strictest settings and no infections were detected.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be fantastic!

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Just did a test on my laptop and here are the results:

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64

With Latest Windows Updates Installed

OS Build 19045.3516

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0

BD Total Security 27.0.20.105

As you can see, i can see the hidden items (marked with the line).

You should follow the steps below.

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

or

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been solved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 3 --

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Thank you so much for this wonderfully detailed answer, which I am going to save in case I ever need it.

I didn't actually need to uninstall BitDefender. I decided to try running my batch file to show all hidden files and folders in Safe Mode and that did the trick!

(It still says hidden files are hidden in the explorer control panel after I reboot normally, but they are not actually hidden).

The one drawback to relying on safemode to do this is that most modern windows laptops encrypt your drive with BitLocker by default and you need the encryption key to log into safe mode. So you have to either go into encryption settings and print the key before booting into safe mode, or turn encryption off altogether, which is what I did.

Gjoksi's instructions are obviously the better way if you think you'll be toggling the file and folder view on and off, but for me it was one and done so I:ll leave my BD config as is! Thanks again!😁