Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is there anything I can do about BitDefender's completely unhinged memory usage?

Options

It just keeps escalating it's memory usage and never releases any of it, causing my browser to spout out-of-memory errors, or cause system-wide stutters when I share my screen with friends, or simply bluescreen with the error citing memory problems.

Searching around online only brings me to threads that are either pretending that this isn't a serious problem with bitdefender or simply offers the solution "just restart your computer lol."

Is my only course of action to abandon this AV? This is completely unacceptable behavior and the only way to keep it at bay is to reboot, which only restarts the memory-climbing clock.

Answers

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Can you give me more details about it? We have several services running under the same process (bdservicehost.exe) and first it would help to know which one is it. You can look up on the command line and paste it here, or right click the offending instance in the Task Manager details view and click on Go to service(s), and see which is the service name.

• It appears to be VSSERV, Bitdefender Virus Shield.

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

I was thinking it is vsserv, which contains a lot of complex components - which makes it complicated to pinpoint an exact cause. Is it possible to temporarily disable certain components (just open the main interface and set various settings to off, and note what settings were changed) and see if the memory usage decreases?

I know I am asking a bit much from you, but I would like to get your feedback on this one, since in my particular tests I am not observing such numbers.