Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender identified a Dell Firmware BIOS Update as an unwanted app:DBUtilDrv2.Sys is unwanted app

Options

Does anyone know why Bitdefender would identify a Dell Firmware BIOS Update as an unwanted app? When I try to download and install the BIOS update I receive a popup from Bitdefender specifying that DBUtilDrv2.Sys is an unwanted app and then I receive a notification from Dell that the update failed. I tried adding the exe file name identified by Dell to the list of exceptions but Bitdefender will only allow me to add the file name as an Online Threat Prevention exception, not as a Advanced Threat Defense exception.

Best Answer

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AGJZ ,

I am guessing that you are trying to update your Dell BIOS via SupportAssist or Dell Update. The filename you cited BD as identifying is not the usual Dell naming convention for its BIOS updates . . . ?

According to my research, that file was a part of the older Dell Update program, which did have a security vulnerability. Hover over *** this link *** for more information.

As a frequent Dell Forums visitor, the consensus among the most knowledgeable participants, like @RoHe , is that using the *** F12 BIOS Flash Update *** method is the safest BIOS update option. Please hover over the "*** F12 ... Update ***" above to go to one such Dell Forum post.

I long ago uninstalled SupportAssist and Dell Update from my two Dell Computers (8930 & 7590). They are more trouble than they are worth, IMHO. I check the Dell Support Site, enter my Service Tags, and search for specific updates for my computers weekly.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Thank you for your advice. I just tried downloading the BIOS update from the Dell Support Site (after entering my Service Tag) and the same thing happened -- popup from Bitdefender and the installation failed.

• Scott, I only had four temp files and all were in use. However, I disabled Bitdefender as you suggested and the BIOS update downloaded and installed successfully. Thank you VERY MUCH for your help.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

You're welcome, AGJZ, I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back with your results :) Have a great holiday season :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AGJZ ,

If you had used the F12 BIOS Flash Update method I linked you to, you would not have had to do anything to Bitdefender or any other program. Windows never loads. It is just the BIOS updating itself. That is why it is the recommended method of doing Dell BIOS updates on the Dell Forums.

In any event, like @Scott , I am glad you got your BIOS updated. 😊 Those updates most often are issued for CVE reasons, so they are important.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

If possible, kindly share the serial number and product ID of your Dell laptop, and I will provide you with the exact BIOS firmware that you can update. Additionally, before providing you with the BIOS file, I will share the VirusTotal results with you.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• The same thing is happening to me. We have about a dozen different Dell models and 6 or 7 of them are all now flagging the latest Dell BIOS updates as this same threat. I have 300 computers to maintain and this latest round of BIOS updates addresses some pretty serious threats. There is no way to do this manually. I have been running these updates via PDQ for years (literally) after they are released by Dell and have never had any issues.

The following models (all of which have are different files) are all having this issue for us:

Latitude 3420

Precision 7820 Tower

Precision 7920 Tower

Precision 7550

Precision 5550

Precision 5540

Precision 5530

Precision 3561

It would be extremely helpful to get more details on this threat to ensure that this is not a false positive or to let Dell know that they are rushing out potentially malicious software.