iOS Data Scan

Bitdefender for Desktop found two Trojans on my iPhone backup. These were removed from the backup but what about the Phone? How do you scan the iPhone's data and remove the trojans?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited January 31 Answer ✓

Due to Apple restrictions on its iOS OS, scanning for malware is not possible for any antimalware vendor. The main feature available in Bitdefender for iOS is VPN and malicious/phishing website blocking.

All features that are available in Bitdefender for iOS can be checked in the link stated below

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/mobile-security-ios.html

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 1 Answer ✓

More information about Bitdefender Mobile Security for iOS, specifically its core feature - Web Protection can be found here:

Apart from this, it doesn't have advanced scanning capabilities because Apple restricts access to third-party developments in some areas. This is how the scanning results look like on iOS after a casual scan:

Regarding malware removal on iOS, first you will have to restart your iPhone. Malware may spread with your phone on. Then restore a previous backup. iCloud may contain a virus-free backup. If this fails or you don't have a backup, you'll need to erase your device and reset it to its original settings. That should purge the malware from the system.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Answers

• Thanks for the replies. I do indeed have several backups of the phone.

Question: should I erase the phone back to factory status and restore from one of the “sanitized” backups that I have, or can I just do a restore without the nuclear option of factory reset? Thanks.

• Maybe there are a few steps to consider before pressing the erase button. Is your iOS version up to date? Many types of malware rely on exploiting outdated versions of iOS to infect the iPhone. Also, should you find a strange app on your phone, simply delete it. Then, you can proceed to restore your phone to a backup made before you noticed the problems, as this can help get rid of the malware infection. If this doesn't help (although it should), then the final option is a factory reset, but keep in mind this is irreversible.

Regards,

Alex

• Yes, latest version of iOS is installed. Need to purge unused apps.

I will do a restore from a “clean” backup and will post results. Thanks to all for suggestions.

• You're most welcome @MacDoc. Let us know how it went.

Cheers!