Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Network Printing Blocked!

Options

I just installed the "upgrade" to BD 2009 Internet Security, and now network printing fails - can't connect is what the print spooler says. I managed to get a document to print last night (panic, I was teaching a class) by turning off the firewall in BD (until reboot), running the Network Installer (control panel), and power cycling the printer a number of times, and when I rebooted my own PC the document printed (!), but this morning when I powered up I can't print again. I sent an email to "support@bitdefender.com" - with all the attachments they want, and I'm hoping for something useful, but I'm not holding my breath. I also tried messing with the firewall rules, but it's not clear how they are supposed to work. How do you be sure the spooler is allowed? How are mere mortals supposed to cope with this?

Any ideas on what might be wrong? Or an easy work-around?

Happy trails,

Stuart

Comments

• stuartdole
    edited November 2008
    Options

Hi, it's me again. I just got an email back from tech support and the problem is solved. I needed to do two things in the firewall section - enable network connection sharing and set the network type to "trusted local".

I'd like to suggest, if any BD developers troll this forum, that this might be built into the install process - if the installer can't detect that there is a network printer on its own, to ask the user and make the settings appropriate for him/her. I know installation scriptsare extraordinarily complex to begin with (I've created them myself), and maybe this will help fine-tune it a bit.

Happy trails,

Stuart

• Hi, it's me again. I just got an email back from tech support and the problem is solved. I needed to do two things in the firewall section - enable network connection sharing and set the network type to "trusted local".

I'd like to suggest, if any BD developers troll this forum, that this might be built into the install process - if the installer can't detect that there is a network printer on its own, to ask the user and make the settings appropriate for him/her. I know installation scriptsare extraordinarily complex to begin with (I've created them myself), and maybe this will help fine-tune it a bit.

Happy trails,

Stuart

Dear Stuart!

Your post was a very usefull for Me! Here using BitDefender from 3 years ago.Yesterday My licenze finished and I bue BD2009.All O.K.,but Printserver was blocked...

I made like You and in few minute printer working!Thank You!

Greeting from Bulgaria!

Merry Xmas and happy New Year to all You Famili!

Ivan Rusev