Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

New install of BD on Win11 blocks access to network (local and internet)

Options

I've now tried freshly installing BD (tried it twice) on my Lenovo P70 laptop on which I've freshly installed Win11. Internet connection is wired, ethernet cable to the router.

For some reason, BD is seemingly blocking all access to my network adapter, producing assorted error messages from assorted apps as if my connection to the internet (or network adapter) was not present. "Please check your ethernet cable connection".

I cannot get to my network, or use any browser to access any web site. Seems like the network adapter is being completely blocked. So I can't get to the router, and thus can't get to other devices on the network, and also can't get out to the internet for web sites.

I've tried un-checking all of the "protection" features (e.g. firewall and all the other protections I could while still leaving BD installed) and it has no effect. I assume it must be some protection guarding me against vulnerability of some sort. But even with everything turned off that I can turn off, it still doesn't allow me to use any browser to access any web site. Also can't use my email client program, which connects to a "host server" running on another PC on the LAN which I cannot contact.

Only when I uninstall BD does everything return to normal.

What could be going on?

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 21
    Options

Check this if it helps.

1) Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

2) Type services.msc and press Enter. This will open the Services console.

3) In the Services console, locate the following services: Windows Time, Windows Update, WLAN AutoConfig (for WLAN), Wired AutoConfig (for LAN), Network Location Awareness, DHCP Client, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, DNS Client

4) For each service, do the following: Right-click on the service name and select Properties from the context menu. In the Properties window, under the General tab, find the Startup type dropdown menu. Select Automatic from the dropdown menu. Click on the Apply button, then click OK to save the changes.

5) Once you have set the startup type for all four services to Automatic, you can close the Services console.
    After completing these steps, Windows Time, Windows Update, WLAN AutoConfig (for WLAN), Wired AutoConfig (for LAN), Network Location Awareness, DHCP Client, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, DNS Client will be set to start automatically whenever your computer boots up.

Some of the services may already be set to automatic. Just click Apply if available, or if it's greyed out, click OK.

Now, what will each service do when set to automatic?

Windows Time (W32Time): This service ensures that your computer's time and date are accurate by synchronizing with an official time source.

Wired AutoConfig: Sets up your internet connection when you use an Ethernet cable.

WLAN AutoConfig: Does the same as Wired AutoConfig, but for Wi-Fi connections.

Network Location Awareness: Adjusts your computer's settings based on the type of network you're connected to (public, private, work).

DHCP Client: Asks the network for an address so your computer can connect to the internet automatically.

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: Helps your computer communicate with others on your local network.

DNS Client: Translates website addresses into numbers your computer understands, helping you find and connect to websites.

Windows Update: Checks for updates and installs them to keep your Windows operating system secure and up-to-date.

If issue persists, kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Depending on your selected product and the type of issue you're facing, you can reach a support representative via email, chat, or phone.

If you choose email support, you will receive a ticket number in your registered email. Kindly generate and attach the following logs to the ticket:

Generate Bitdefender BDsysLog: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1922/

Generate Bitdefender Support Tool Log: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Generate Bitdefender Connectivity Log: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/

If the generated logs are larger than 25 MB, which is the attachment limit for most email vendors, you can upload the logs to https://upload.bitdefender.net/ and share the link with the support team.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I had one other serious issue with the Win11 system I'd been building out, that also should not have been occurring and also seemingly could not be resolved or corrected. Along with the inexplicable Bitdefender anomaly I really decided something had gotten "broken" by whatever I'd installed and customized so far.

Even though I'd invested 3 days so far, I decided to just scrap it and start over. Surely everything would be working properly with a fresh reinstall. I don't know what it was that was responsible for my two major problems, but I don't care.

So I did just that, deleting the new Win11 partition and recreating it from scratch. And at a reasonable stopping point I verified that Bitdefender could be installed and would absolutely work properly. And it did! I will continue to confirm that it is still working as I move forward with the rest of the build-out over the next few days. Hopefully it will keep working perfectly, but if not at least I will be alert and aware, and have a very good idea about what I'd just recently done that somehow had caused the problem to recur. But honestly I don't expect that to happen.

Also, the other major issue that I also could not tolerate has also magically corrected itself with the new reinstall from scratch. Again, whatever culprit it might have been over the 3 days of build-out, I don't care. It should never have been happening, and it does not happen with this fresh reinstall. That's what I was looking for.

So I'm once again starting the 3-day build-out process for this new Win11. I don't expect any serious issues to arise, but I will be sure to take frequent step-by-step Macrium backups along the way so that I will not have too much to redo if something unexpected occurs.

Case closed.