Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problems With Bitdefender Is 2012

Options

Hello,

I am having some problems with Bitdefender over the years. This is a problem that has seamed to slip past tech support in 2010, 2011, and now 2012. I have patiently waited for 2012 to be released thinking that the problem would be addressed since it was on the beta complaint list. I am having problems with high latency, very slow loading webpages, and slow choppy downloads/uploads. Does anyone know any way to correct these issues? It is literally taking me 10 minutes for one webpage to completely display. I did not have this problem before installing Bitdefender. I performed a clean install of Windows 7 x64 and installed every Windows update as well as all the latest drivers for my hardware. I then tested the download, upload, and latency of the computer before installing Bitdefender. I was getting latency of 20ms, download speeds of roughly 7mb, and upload speeds of roughly .73mbps. This is on a 7.1mb/768kb DSL connection so as you can see I was getting excellent speeds. This all changed once Bitdefender 2012 Internet Security was installed. Why is it so slow, and what can I do? Also, I have read about a new feature called "Virtualized Browser." How do I use this new feature? I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks,

grimreaper

Comments

• Also, I have read about a new feature called "Virtualized Browser." How do I use this new feature? I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks,

grimreaper

First, close any open browser windows. Next, make sure you have Show bitDefender Toolbar turned on in the Privacy Control module. Open a new browser window. You will see a small black tab at the top of the browser window:

post-35640-1312322134_thumb.jpg

Click on that black tab to open the Toolbar.

Finally, click on the Sandbox button.

post-35640-1312322204_thumb.jpg

This will open a new virtualized browser window.

Regards,

• First, close any open browser windows. Next, make sure you have Show bitDefender Toolbar turned on in the Privacy Control module. Open a new browser window. You will see a small black tab at the top of the browser window:

post-35640-1312322134_thumb.jpg

Click on that black tab to open the Toolbar.

Finally, click on the Sandbox button.

post-35640-1312322204_thumb.jpg

This will open a new virtualized browser window.

Regards,

Thanks for showing me how to access the virtual browser option. I am able to see the toolbar in IE9 but not Firefox. Is it compatible with Firefox? Also, are you experiencing the slow loading pages, download speeds, and latency issues? Are you using the default Bitdefender settings? If not could you let me know how you have configured it?

Thanks,

grimreaper

• nikki605
    edited August 2011
    Options

You're welcome. :) I don't have Firefox installed, but the user in this topic sees it. You didn't say which BD 2012 product you are using. I am using BD Antivirus Plus 2012 which doesn't have the firewall. I have not seen slow page loading with it on my Win7 x64 laptop.

1415198890.png

I have the On-access scanning set to NOT scan IM or http traffic. AVC is set to Normal. Under Privacy Control, I have the BD Toolbar, Search Advisor and IM Protection turned off. Remember, these are just my personal preferences, not any official BD recommendation.

Regards,

• You're welcome. :) I don't have Firefox installed, but the user in this topic sees it. You didn't say which BD 2012 product you are using. I am using BD Antivirus Plus 2012 which doesn't have the firewall. I have not seen slow page loading with it on my Win7 x64 laptop.

1415198890.png

I have the On-access scanning set to NOT scan IM or http traffic. AVC is set to Normal. Under Privacy Control, I have the BD Toolbar, Search Advisor and IM Protection turned off. Remember, these are just my personal preferences, not any official BD recommendation.

Regards,

I spoke to Bitdefender tech support who told me to run supporttool.exe while trying to reproduce the problem and send the file it produces to them. I ran the tool and sent the results to them. They told me to set the firewall to "Trusted" with stealth mode "Off" and under generic select "Yes." I was also told to make some changes under antivirus. I was told to select "Custom", uncheck "HTTP Scanning", and "IM Scanning."

I made the above changes and rebooted the computer. The pages are now loading fairly quickly again, and the latency is right around where it was before installing Bitdefender. The only thing it did not improve was the download/upload speeds. When I run a speed test at www.speedtest.net they are slower than normal. Also, during the test on the little graph displayed for the download test the speed bounces up and down throughout the test. The graph looks like shark fins up and down all the way across. When I would run the speed test before Bitdefender I would get a fairly straight line on the little graph for the download speed test. Therefore, something is still choking off the download/upload speeds. The internet connection is trying to go fast, and Bitdefender is holding it back. This results in slow speeds with little bursts where it is normal. I have tried downloading a large file as well. It shows the same thing happening. The speed while downloading a file will average only around 50 KB/s with Bitdefender. There are bursts of speed where it will shoot up to 500 KB/s to 800 KB/s. However, most of the time the download speeds are stuck at around 50 KB/s. Normally I get around 800 KB/s without Bitdefender. I have sent Bitdefender a reply that the download speeds are still abnormal. Hopefully, they will have a solution for it.

I have read a lot of people are having these problems with the versions containing the firewall. People with just Bitdefender AV experience slow loading pages, but once they disable "HTTP Scanning" that resolves the issue. The solution is more complex for Bitdefender Internet Security and Bitdefender Total Security. I ran into this same problem with Outpost Security Suite Pro about a year or so back. I emailed them and they provided a work around. They corrected the problem in the very next release. I don't understand why this has been going on for at least 3 years (2010, 2011, and 2012) with Bitdefender and they have done nothing to correct it. All they do is tell the customers to disable certain features that they should not have to disable. If anyone has a solution for Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 please let me know. If I get a response for Bitdefender with a solution for these issues I will post it here. Hopefully it will help the others that are having the same type of problems. I will try disabling the other things you have disabled to see if they will help. Also, thanks for the link to the other post about Firefox.

Thanks,

Grimreaper

• Hello,

The issue has been already escalated and we are working on a fix. As soon as it will be available, I will post it in all related topics. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,

• this one of my problems i reported it and no replay here

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=27782

and other problem with vmware workstation

• Hello,

You have created multiple topics and posting every few hours. You got an answer from my colleague Daniel (check the link below) on August 4th saying that the issue is resolved.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=116389

I am sorry but I have to warn you +20% for off-topic posting. Please read the forum Rules !

• i have the same problem

pages load really slow

IDM does not start download

after uninstaling BD ts 2012 issue is solved

please someone tell me if the issue is solved in newer releses

bitdefender 2012 (not beta)

• im having the exact same problems as grimreaper.. did a speedtest before bitdefender which was very smooth download speed, installed bitdefender which gave me "shark fins" for downloading. Tested everything with firewall "on", "off", went into registry to bypass the IDS, no luck. I finally unistalled it and did a speedtest again and sure enough saw smooth download speeds again. Hope to see a fix soon

• islamyouness
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • rootkit
    Options

Hello

Sorry for the delayed reply.

A topic about internet slowdown is available here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125795

Thank you very much.

• Thanks for the link Christian - but of no use to me. Sharing the same problem with Grim Reaper using BD 2012. Have used different BD products for a few years now but this has to be the most problematic version yet. At first I didn't know why pages were suddenly not loading correctly or why I was getting network problems - it was all very hit and miss. Fortunately I have a PC on my network that is not running BD and by process of elimination it became apparent that BD was the culprit as pages that wouldn't load properly with BD loaded perfectly well without.

I am no expert, but after viewing the sorce code of sticky pages, it became apparent that your browser scanner dops in a CSS file and a Javascript file into the loaded webpage - whether the scanner is turned on or not.

As far as I could tell your files were clashing stopping other scripts and CSS from loading properly and being executed by the browser.

Try as I might, I could not find any way to disable this function other than switching to 'Game Mode'. As soon as I did that pages started to load correctly again without the browser scanner being present.

Annoyingly this means more often than not I have to run BD in 'Game Mode' now which is not ideal - what did I pay for? Might as well have just downloaded a free antivirus app and saved myself some money - and while we are at it - a lot of PC resources! Can requiring 1Gb of ram to run really be justified??? I bought my computer and its resources for me - not for you.

Networking needs looking at too - it has not been easy to set up.

I chose Bitdefender a few years back as it was lightweight and had minimum impact on system resources and performance - unlike a lot of its then competitors. Sadly that is not now the case. If Bitdefender is not going to address these issues in an update or new version, we will be parting company, probably along with others I originally recommended it to.

Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• gazzaweb
    Options

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding to it.

First let me say that there are many good things to be said for Total Security 2012. The new interface and auto pilot is clean and user friendly and one of the reasons for my delay was to let the software settle down to see what issues remained.

As for doing system checks - unnecessary. TS2012 is running on 3 PC's and all have the same issue with web pages loading. Most content now seems to load but pages are still sluggish on all machines. If accessing pages by a search engine it can take an age for the Bit Defender search advisor to report on the search results, THEN it can also take a while for BD to insert its code to report if the page is safe or not.

I have disabled the search advisor to be honest, just to speed things up - its all way too intrusive. Unfortunately the web page advisor cannot be disabled.

To add insult to injury, after all that, Total Security seems to be less than Total as it will happily allow trackers and 3pes for the corporate sector, (Google, Doubleclick etc etc) to load and track us and what we are doing to oblivion. At least one of these organisations is currently being investigated by the EU for possible infringements of privacy and civil rights - and others consider them to be behaving as badly as any n'er do well who might want to hack and attack. I now run Ghostery in my browsers to prevent this - but why should I have to when I have already paid a premium price for your software?

I didn't pay for 'Selective' protection.

Last issue is Update Events. One of my PC's is used mainly for working offline and is only connected when needed for software acquisition or updating. This inevitably leads to HUNDREDS of Update events being reported and try as I might, I cannot stop BD doing this! The danger is that a legitimate event gets buried in all the false reporting.

I would have thought in this day and age that BD would be able to 'net detect' as all other software requiring a net connection has been able to do since the 1980's to the best of my knowledge. In any event, not all of us use routers, some of us still use modems and prefer to have control as to when we connect to the internet.

Fix these issues and BD may well be worth having again, especially if there is or will be a version to run on the Symbian Belle smart phone OS in a all inclusive reasonably priced package for desktops and smart phones together. This will be a deciding factor for me at renewal time as other Security Software vendors already offer this.

Thanks

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback!

I will need some example related to the situation with the web pages, also some logs. You have the instructions above.

Regarding the cookies, we can not block them because you won't be able to log on on some pages. For this matter, we implemented to delete those cookies when you run a scan.

The Events can not be stopped, the update module is considered critical because we delivered new definitions every hour.

We will see what we can do about the other things.

Have a great weekend!

• Hi

I still don't see the point of software trying to update when the host machine is not connected to the internet and then reporting a false positive - that's just plain ridiculous.

As for the rest, I have better things to do than try and garner examples from three separate PC's when the point was quite simple the browser advisor should be able to be turned off on occasions if it is proving to be intrusive.

So on balance I have a better idea - I'll look for something else at renewal time.

Thanks for your time.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.