Security Widget: What Does The Left Panel Do In Bd Av Plus 2013?

Hello;

I am running BD Antivirus Plus 2013. Can someone please explain to me what the left-hand side of the security widget (the one with the question mark) does? I have a blue bar that is about ¾ of the way up, and when I click on it my browser (Firefox) window opens up but all I see are interminable attempts to connect to http://www.bitdefender.de/media/html/widget/ (nothing happens other than a constant flickering and attempts to connect). My reading of the manual shows that the firewall option is NOT available on this version of the BD product, so it would be nice if the function of the left side panel would be explained somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Tonia

Comments

• Hi Tonia, :)

As you have found in your research, the left side is the Firewall Activity, and would show the same blue activity bar as on the left scanning side of the widget. It may have been a bit much for Bitdefender to come out with a AV+ widget which doesn't include the Firewall "pane" on the widget when they made so many improvements with the 2013 version. I suppose that could be petitioned in the Feature Request forum.

As far as your right side, Scan Activity, mine only goes up approximately 10-25% the way up when I load my browser (F.F. or Chrome) and do a light search then close it out. Your right, that high of an activity is not the norm, let alone the flickering.

Are you having problems with other web pages than the one you linked to?

You can try running a repair from the Programs and Features/Uninstall Bitdefender, which will load an uninstall/repair window, and see if that helps. Otherwise, the follow up info. you could provide can give Christian a head start :)

Firewallmanualupdate.jpg

Columbo :)

• Hi Columbo;

Thanks for your response. There seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding my query, and my apologies if I was not clear.

The flickering and constant attempts to connect to the bit defender website only occurs in the browser, not the widget, so the activity on the right hand side is not a problem for me (my system shows the same behavior you describe).

I am also NOT experiencing any other difficulties accessing other websites.

I am simply curious that if the firewall option is not available in AV Plus 2013, then what does the left-hand panel show (especially if the blue bar indicates some sort of activity, as in my case) and does anyone else have difficulty accessing the website it tries to connect to.

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Tonia

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Tonia :)

We have tested that button and the redirection to that website is working properly for the English and German version of Bitdefender.

That option is empty because Antivirus Plus doesn't have a firewall module. If you click on it, it should present you all the new features from Internet Security and Total Security, in case you want to upgrade to another version.

Also, you can do this right now, but your license will be 2 or 4 months shorter due to the price difference.

Let me know if you want to upgrade to Internet Security.

Take care.

• Thank you for your reply, Christian. You wrote “That option is empty”, yet there is very often a blue bar that fills anywhere from 10-80% of the left side of the widget. If this option is non-functional, why is there a blue bar, and why does its size vary (what is being monitored)?

Thanks again for your time and help.

Regards,

Tonia

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

That option is sometimes filled because Bitdefender Antivirus is also scanning the web traffic.

Let me know if you want to upgrade to Internet Security. You have all the details in the previous post.

Take care.

• Thank you for your reply, Christian. Can I ask you to please elaborate a little on what you mean when you say that the AV is “scanning the web traffic”? I’m not sure what this means and would appreciate a bit more detail, especially since the left-hand panel on the widget is supposed to be non-functional in AV Plus.

I should also add that when I click on the question mark that appears in the left panel of the widget, nothing happens (before it tried to connect me to a website, now nothing). You wrote that “We have tested that button and the redirection to that website is working properly for the English and German version of Bitdefender”, but this is not happening for me (I have updated to build 1406).

Thanks also for the details regarding updating to Internet Security, but I will stay with AV Plus for now as I try and get accustomed and comfortable with the product and its features.

Thanks again.

Tonia

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012

Hello :)

Our products scan all the traffic send and received via the Network card.

All the webpages and packets ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_packet ) and will block all the threats before entering in your PC.

As for that button in the widget, I have posted a feature request on your behalf.

Tonia, that button should have a function in a future product update.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Have a great day!

• Hello :)

As for that button in the widget, I have posted a feature request on your behalf.

Tonia, that button should have a function in a future product update.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Have a great day!

That's going to be nice to see what you give us...and the improvements just keep coming, incredible, thank you Bitdefender, and Christian :)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi :)

You are most welcome!

For new ideas, please provide us tour feedback here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=324

Take care.