Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Slow System And Out Of Memory Problems

Options

I installed BD2013 for the first time a week ago, based on the rave reviews. Since then, after being logged in for 1 to 2 hours, the incessant memory accessing begins - the culprit appears to be vsserv.exe. This continues for up to four hours. During that time my system c-r-a-w-l-s. Then it stops and I can work at normal speed. Then it starts again for an hour or two. And so it goes until I run out of memory and can't save my work (Photoshop message saying there's not enough memory to save a document). I have to trash my work and reboot. Then it all starts over again. This never happened with my prior security software while working on multiple documents many times larger than the ones I can't save now.

As an experiment I rebooted, launched Adobe Photoshop CS5 and nothing else, and left. When I came back a few hours later the CPU was grinding away as described above. It has also happened while the only program I had open was Firefox (15.0.1).

Before I uninstall and abandon BD, I thought I would find out if this is a known issue with a fix.

Windows XP, SP3

1.86 GHZ, 2 GB Ram

Dell Precision PWS390

BD Build: 16.22.0.1534

I'm not a techno-geek so any fix will need to be fairly simple to do. If this is not a known issue with a fix, please provide instructions for fully uninstalling BD so I can go back to my prior security software. Thank you.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• peleus
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi VTP. Looks like you may need to upgrade your PC specs. 1.86GHz and 2GB of RAM is not enough these days. Even without BD on, you will still experience some lags by just browsing some heavy sites. smile2.png

• That's a bit of a silly answer - 2Gb should be enough to browse anything, and if it worked before BD install it should work afterwards

I recommended BD to a friend and after buying and installing it, her laptop that was ok before is unusable - there's constant disk activity and any action takes foreve, but especially browsing

• I installed BD2013 for the first time a week ago, based on the rave reviews. Since then, after being logged in for 1 to 2 hours, the incessant memory accessing begins - the culprit appears to be vsserv.exe. This continues for up to four hours. During that time my system c-r-a-w-l-s. Then it stops and I can work at normal speed. Then it starts again for an hour or two. And so it goes until I run out of memory and can't save my work (Photoshop message saying there's not enough memory to save a document). I have to trash my work and reboot. Then it all starts over again. This never happened with my prior security software while working on multiple documents many times larger than the ones I can't save now.

As an experiment I rebooted, launched Adobe Photoshop CS5 and nothing else, and left. When I came back a few hours later the CPU was grinding away as described above. It has also happened while the only program I had open was Firefox (15.0.1).

Before I uninstall and abandon BD, I thought I would find out if this is a known issue with a fix.

Windows XP, SP3

1.86 GHZ, 2 GB Ram

Dell Precision PWS390

BD Build: 16.22.0.1534

I'm not a techno-geek so any fix will need to be fairly simple to do. If this is not a known issue with a fix, please provide instructions for fully uninstalling BD so I can go back to my prior security software. Thank you.

I seem to have a similar problem, although i run on a Windows 7 Home Premium_x32 laptop with 4GB of memory and a i3 CPU.

I recently bought and installed BD IS 2013 which runs allright on this machine. However, i happen to use a application called Photomatix Pro 4.2, which is a tool to generate HDR (High Definition Range) Pictures. I have been using this program for a long while, in fact since it first came out. Before i switched to BitDefender, i used AVG Internet Security.

When i first used Photomatix after installing BD IS 2013, i had several crashes, "out of memory" crashes of this program, letting med saving my work (!!) before CTD. Upon restart i experienced the same behaviour again and again.

I contacted then the dev-team of Photomatix with this issue. They helped me with a special tracing edition of the program in order to generate logfiles for them to evaluate.

I'd like to quote a few lines of their conclusion:

Many thanks for this log file - it gives some very useful information. It appears that you are suffering from massive memory fragmentation for some reason. By the time it ran out of memory, there was a 1.2GB area of memory that was just full of fragmented memory sections, each being less than 1MB in size, whereas under normal circumstances you should have had a single block of probably at least 800MB there. I'll plan to analyse the log in more detail, but it appears almost certain that there is something particular on your system which is responsible for fragmenting your memory like this.

We had one other person report a similar problem a while ago, and never got to the bottom of what was causing it. It's possible that an anti-virus program or some driver may be the culprit. I understand that Symantec Anti-Virus has been known to cause memory fragmentation.

Today, i uninstalled BD IS to test if i could reproduce the crashes of Photomatix. I was eager to do so and set massive load on the system by generating one HDR picture out of 7 RAW-pictures, each 32MB of size, a task i couldn't accomplish the past weeks i had BitDefender installed (but without any flaw back in the AVG years). I could work the picture, and save it as 8-bit *.tiff picture afterwards, which (before) made the program crash right away.

Now some of you might say that x_32 systems are no longer en vogue, that these errors wouldn't occur on x_64 systems. Unfortunately i didn't find any system specs on this site, telling me that BitDefender will render my sparse memory unusable when installed on _x32 system...

For those thinking of asking about the swap - or pagefile: It's pretty standard and default, no manual configuration here, i let Windows do the work. The system has been reinstalled two months ago, there is no malware bugging the system (how could it with BitDefender?), everything is pretty normal.

Does anyone know the answer to this problem, or does anybody know the cure - apart from finding other AV solutions for 32bit systems?

• I seem to have a similar problem, although i run on a Windows 7 Home Premium_x32 laptop with 4GB of memory and a i3 CPU.

I recently bought and installed BD IS 2013 which runs allright on this machine. However, i happen to use a application called Photomatix Pro 4.2, which is a tool to generate HDR (High Definition Range) Pictures. I have been using this program for a long while, in fact since it first came out. Before i switched to BitDefender, i used AVG Internet Security.

When i first used Photomatix after installing BD IS 2013, i had several crashes, "out of memory" crashes of this program, letting med saving my work (!!) before CTD. Upon restart i experienced the same behaviour again and again.

I contacted then the dev-team of Photomatix with this issue. They helped me with a special tracing edition of the program in order to generate logfiles for them to evaluate.

I'd like to quote a few lines of their conclusion:

Today, i uninstalled BD IS to test if i could reproduce the crashes of Photomatix. I was eager to do so and set massive load on the system by generating one HDR picture out of 7 RAW-pictures, each 32MB of size, a task i couldn't accomplish the past weeks i had BitDefender installed (but without any flaw back in the AVG years). I could work the picture, and save it as 8-bit *.tiff picture afterwards, which (before) made the program crash right away.

Now some of you might say that x_32 systems are no longer en vogue, that these errors wouldn't occur on x_64 systems. Unfortunately i didn't find any system specs on this site, telling me that BitDefender will render my sparse memory unusable when installed on _x32 system...

For those thinking of asking about the swap - or pagefile: It's pretty standard and default, no manual configuration here, i let Windows do the work. The system has been reinstalled two months ago, there is no malware bugging the system (how could it with BitDefender?), everything is pretty normal.

Does anyone know the answer to this problem, or does anybody know the cure - apart from finding other AV solutions for 32bit systems?

My computer is strong enough with quad cores and 8gb of RAM so I don't experience the heavy usage BD uses, I can tell though that my internet is slower and videos have some connection problems at time. I have 35mbps fiber optic connection and i still notice slow browsing speeds once I installed BD 2013. I am trying to get an answer on how to fix it cuz I have never had problems before with any other security suite

• Tom H
    edited October 2012
    Options
    My computer is strong enough with quad cores and 8gb of RAM so I don't experience the heavy usage BD uses, I can tell though that my internet is slower and videos have some connection problems at time. I have 35mbps fiber optic connection and i still notice slow browsing speeds once I installed BD 2013. I am trying to get an answer on how to fix it cuz I have never had problems before with any other security suite

I have a 1090T 6 cores and 16 GB of memory ----- I bought Bitdefender because the reviews I saw showed it was the least resource hog (that review was for 2012) but I have to constantly click stop and refresh for different webpages to load. I even uninstalled BD 2013 and tried a bunch of different Security Suites and BD 2013 was the only one with this problem.

It also seems to take longer than normal with other things like trying to execute a file. ( I have a SSD drive )

So, I believe vtp probably has a problem with a hurried and buggy BD 2013.

• Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

Hi Christian, I downloaded the Bitdefender Support Tool and ran it while I worked. I discovered that it conflicted with my scanner (the software froze) requiring not just a reboot of my computer but that both machines be powered completely off and restarted before I could resume scanning. Finally, after getting multiple out of memory messages while working in Photoshop, I got to the point of running a report. But because Bitdefender was already doing something enormous in the background it crawled. I stopped the whole operation after two and a half hours and uninstalled the program. The new security software I've installed in its place is much lighter weight and even caught a trojan on the initial full system scan that BD did not see (not a false positive). I appreciate your attempt to help but Bitdefender 2013 really needs a lot more work to reduce its very large overhead demands.

Have a nice day.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.23.0.1637(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=162888

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.