Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Excessive Hard Drive Usage

Hello,

i have internet security 2013,

ever since installing windows 8 i have noticed that when BD does a full scan the HDD goes into full (100%) usage.

when pausing the scan it keeps on using it, also if i wait for like 10 minutes while its scanning it dose not stop using 100% of my HDD even if i completely stop the process.

if i try to complete the scan it grind's to a halt and might take hours.

This is my system spec:

cpu:8350fx

mobo:990fx

gpu:7970

ram:corsair dominator platinum 16gb

hdd's: X2 2tb seagate barracuda

my HDD's are about half way full, they are not overloaded.

the problematic HDD in question is the one who holds the OS and obviously BD.

i know i should give a log of things but i thought this might help.

please post the log links so i can reply quickly.

Thank you.

Comments

• This is nearly identical to my problem, except that my system is overloaded with files(should not matter, scan it all!). I did manage to get it to complete a scan...23 hours later with the computer completely unusable during that time. I'm not willing to run and submit the support tool and logs that the the support staff here respond with as I'm not comfortable with the amount of personal data it pulls from my system.

Dorian101 if you submit a support tool log that they ask for and get a response would you mind forwarding what they suggest and or claim the problem to be in a personal message & or on here?

• My system uses a Phenom IIx4 processor (4 cores), 4 GiB of RAM and a 1.75TiB HD, that's about half full. The product I use here is "Bitdefender Antivirus Pluss 2013". My system is currently runing at about 75% processor saturation, with about 60% HD usage and a queue length of about 10. All this according to the Win7 Resource Monitor. The one process that is showing more than about 3% of the processor is vsserv.exe. That process is reading 505,000 B/sec.

With all this going on, my system is unusable. I've tried Game Mode (the feature that got me to buy the product) and I've tried disabling th AV function. No change. I'd like my system back, please.

• This is nearly identical to my problem, except that my system is overloaded with files(should not matter, scan it all!). I did manage to get it to complete a scan...23 hours later with the computer completely unusable during that time. I'm not willing to run and submit the support tool and logs that the the support staff here respond with as I'm not comfortable with the amount of personal data it pulls from my system.

Dorian101 if you submit a support tool log that they ask for and get a response would you mind forwarding what they suggest and or claim the problem to be in a personal message & or on here?

My system uses a Phenom IIx4 processor (4 cores), 4 GiB of RAM and a 1.75TiB HD, that's about half full. The product I use here is "Bitdefender Antivirus Pluss 2013". My system is currently runing at about 75% processor saturation, with about 60% HD usage and a queue length of about 10. All this according to the Win7 Resource Monitor. The one process that is showing more than about 3% of the processor is vsserv.exe. That process is reading 505,000 B/sec.

With all this going on, my system is unusable. I've tried Game Mode (the feature that got me to buy the product) and I've tried disabling th AV function. No change. I'd like my system back, please.

From reading these forums i see alot of people have this problem, i'm sure the BD staff are working on it but it sure will be nice to know that first hand.

IF i do get some sort of answer i will publish it here guys, good luck!

• I have experienced this issue too, I have installed Bitdefender Windows 8 Security and after that a lot of my users have complained about their PC being very slow and unusable whenever Bitdefender is scanning, I deeply regret buying this product for my company PCs as this makes the PCs very very slow and unusable and the Full System scan takes more than 24 hours to finish on some machines.

I hope they fix this as most of my users turn off autoscan to resolve this scanning issue which can compromise our system.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello and thank you for letting us know about this issue.

I kindly ask you all to submit a support tool log from the computers where you encounter this issue (run "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2013\supporttool.exe" to generate the support tool archive).

Please upload the support tool log on www.sendspace.com or www.mediafire.com, then post here the download link.

Thank you :)

• Hello and thank you for letting us know about this issue.

I kindly ask you all to submit a support tool log from the computers where you encounter this issue (run "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2013\supporttool.exe" to generate the support tool archive).

Please upload the support tool log on www.sendspace.com or www.mediafire.com, then post here the download link.

Thank you :)

Here is the download link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t4lxao

please help

thank you.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Dorian,

Please tell me if this issue persists with the latest build version 16.29.0.1830

(right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35498

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• I have the same problem and can't send the log file becase the required license key. "Only directions to older versión..."

• I'm having the same problem as well, using the latest 16.29.0.1830 build. Hard disk is running permanently at 100%. The widget seems to be showing a scan in progress, but there's no way of stopping it that I can see. Turning autoscan off makes no difference, manually turning on game mode doesn't stop it, and running a game with automatic game mode on doesn't stop it either!

Is there no way of controlling when it scans?

• I have the same problem and can't send the log file becase the required license key. "Only directions to older versión..."

I have just downloaded and installed the new versión... Let's see how it behaves...

• Same issue here! sick of this buggy crap. Win 8

• After the crazy hard drive activity my LAN port stopped working, reporting that no cable was connected. Uninstalled Bitdefender and it started working again. I won't be re-installing it!

• And of it goes again 100% disk usage, no scan in progress visible except in task manager.

Also i don't want my machine scanned every time i go to make a coffee let me decide when!!!!

• ll014n1866@blueyonder.co.u
    edited July 2013

Me too,

BDIS 2013, XP

For BD support since you don't seem to get it.

For some (maybe many) users, autoscan runs while the computer is being used, contrary to it's intended behaviour.

This causes heavy HD use and, for some, high CPUsage too.

either of these slow the machine to a crawl with frequent freezes.

Fix the issue of it running while machine is being used

Make it run as a background task at lower than normal priority.

Simples.

If not, I fear the best all in one product will go down the tubes.