Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Installation Of The New Total Security

Options

Hi All - this is my first post in the forum, hope i will get an answer for my problem.

I have been using bitdefender (BD) antivirus for a year and found it very efficient. i decided yesterday to upgrade to the the Total Security and purchased a key from BD website. i received the key through email with installation procedure. it asked me to unistall the BD antivirus plus version that i have.

I followed the instructions and successfully uninstalled the previous version and started the installation of the Total Security.

the installation could not be completed and says: ' cannot uninstall Norton automatically" !

I tried:

- uninstall the Norton through removal tool

- install the BD total security offline by downloading the full link.

But did not work!!!

Anybody knows how can i overcome this?

Hope to find an answer

Thanks

skhleifat

post-163561-1383206832_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hi All - this is my first post in the forum, hope i will get an answer for my problem.

I have been using bitdefender (BD) antivirus for a year and found it very efficient. i decided yesterday to upgrade to the the Total Security and purchased a key from BD website. i received the key through email with installation procedure. it asked me to unistall the BD antivirus plus version that i have.

I followed the instructions and successfully uninstalled the previous version and started the installation of the Total Security.

the installation could not be completed and says: ' cannot uninstall Norton automatically" !

I tried:

- uninstall the Norton through removal tool

- install the BD total security offline by downloading the full link.

But did not work!!!

Anybody knows how can i overcome this?

Hope to find an answer

Thanks

skhleifat

Did you run Norton's removal tool in safe mode?If you haven't tried that,please do so now..Also it doesn't hurt to run a registry cleaner like ccleaner and selecting only the registry entries that pertain to norton/symantec.Norton leaves all kinds of garbage behind even using the removal tool.You might also want to clear your TEMP files as well.Typical way to do that is select run type in %TEMP% and click ok,then hit shift and A to select all items in this folder.Then right click and select delete.Reboot the machine.

• Did you run Norton's removal tool in safe mode?If you haven't tried that,please do so now..Also it doesn't hurt to run a registry cleaner like ccleaner and selecting only the registry entries that pertain to norton/symantec.Norton leaves all kinds of garbage behind even using the removal tool.You might also want to clear your TEMP files as well.Typical way to do that is select run type in %TEMP% and click ok,then hit shift and A to select all items in this folder.Then right click and select delete.Reboot the machine.

Thanks for your response.

I have tried it all, it is now almost 8 hours working on this, the problem is that the BD started counting down the lic while the program is not installed yet!!!

I ran the Norton removal tool on the safe mode and then have searched the registry for Norton/Symantec and cleaned files related, then ran the ccleaner to fix registry records, still did not succeeded..

The problem is i sent the BD service centre and inquiry and did not receive any feedback or advice. may be they are promoting for their other tool for installing the antivirus!!! This is really disappointing

• Quite sure it also checks for drivers/registries :)

• Georgia
    Options

@ skhleifat

Please please post here a support tool log to see what is wrong:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.speedyshare.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate these logs, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• I have also been facing the same issue. I have noticed many people coming across this problem. In the pre-installation phase, It comes up with an error that BitDefender cannot uninstall mcafee and there are some where it would say that you need to manually uninstall any anti-virus software on the computer. Below given are steps that I performed while I tried to remove Norton from the computer.

1. Ran the NRT.exe (norton removal tool) in safe mode

2. Removed all the entries through ccleaner and revo and also from registry hives and so from the device manager.

3. removed all the norton related folder from appdata, program data, common file, locallow, temp, prefetch, shared, etc but then it did not help ....

3. advanced clean boot.

4. windows installer cleanup utility to find the traces of norton and when the windows cleanup utility did not detect, I manually provided the Norton product name which is alpha-numeric to remove it but nothing worked.

I also performed some very advanced troubleshooting to fix it but then could not get bitdefender to install on the computer ...

No traces of Norton but still the problem persists !!! And I do not want to reinstall window or perform recovery on the computer ....

Is there any other way ... other than these ????

• Georgia
    Options

@ boom

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this issue.

What Bitdefender does is searching for certain registry entries known to be created by the other security solution. In this case, I need to know the exact name of your previous antivirus software so I can look it up and indicate the registry keys to be deleted.

After that, the Bitdefender installation should run smoothly.

I am looking forward to your reply.