Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Add Option To Permit Stopping / Cancelling A Usb Or Cd/dvd Scan

Options
garioch7
garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see BD include an option for stopping or cancelling the scan of a USB flash drive or CD/DVD, as you can when your hard drive is scanned. These scans can take a lot of time and when it is known

that the files on the drive are not infected, it is a waste of time.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Comments

• also, when a scan of the cd/dvd or usb drive has started there is an icon in the task bar tray. right click that and you can stop the scan from there.

• columbo
    Options
    Hi Phil, just make sure that "Automatically scan USB storage devices" is disabled and it should skip scanning the USB and DVD drive. smile2.png

We have 3 options in Settings/AV/Exclusions. BD did a pretty good job in covering those bases, let alone by opting out of scanning this device, if you have the settings set for, Ask every time enabled.

BDUSBScans_zpsdd30d4aa.jpg

BDScanthisdevice_zps9696d3fd.jpg

• garioch7
    Options

Thanks for your replies. I did select "Ask Every Time", but that turns off Auto-Pilot. I would prefer that be on. I will check the task tray next time when it starts a scan. If I can stop the scan from there, it would be

great. I can't say as I have ever noticed any icon in the task tray when the scan is running, but that doesn't mean I just didn't see it.

Thanks again. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• garioch7
    Options

Can confirm that an icon does appear in the task bar when USB device is being scanned. Right clicking it gives the option to stop or pause the scan. Please disregard this suggestion. I was just too dumb to notice

the taskbar icon. Always learning, but forgetting faster, at my age.

Regards,

-Phil

• I would always want a USB/Flash drive auto scanned.

My lad came back from college and wrecked his system with a USB stick that was compromised, despite the college systems he uses supposedly being heavily protected.

USB/Flash/Portable media seems to be the biggest vector for problems right now.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Can confirm that an icon does appear in the task bar when USB device is being scanned. Right clicking it gives the option to stop or pause the scan. Please disregard this suggestion. I was just too dumb to notice

the taskbar icon. Always learning, but forgetting faster, at my age.

Regards,

-Phil

No problem Phil, as you've missed my many times of..."oops, missed or forgot about that one" and other members here have helped to rescue me. That is why I named myself Columbo, as in Peter Falk from the T.V. series Columbo, who was always forgetting or remembering things, after the fact ^_^

P.S..lol, I'm doing the Columbo thing now, nice John Deere snow blower attachment you have there, Phil :)

• garioch7
    Options
    I would always want a USB/Flash drive auto scanned.

My lad came back from college and wrecked his system with a USB stick that was compromised, despite the college systems he uses supposedly being heavily protected.

USB/Flash/Portable media seems to be the biggest vector for problems right now.

Adrian:

In principle, I agree with you 100 percent. In this particular instance, the USB flash drive is used solely by me to backup data files and emails from my scanned computer. It is formatted weekly and then the files

are copied to it. If I forget to disable the scan when I insert it to format it, then BD takes about 10 to 15 minutes to work its way through all of the emails and data files (about 6,000).

As I indicated, I don't like to disable or even "ask every time" which did not always work right in TS2013, but seems to work fine in the new TS, but it does turn off the Auto-Pilot, which I like to leave on

so that I am sure that I am practicing "safe hex."

Like you, I scan virtually every other USB flash drive that I own or that is provided to me for some reason, usually relating to me helping someone restore their computer to health, and I recommend that practice.

Thanks Columbo, for your kind comments. Unfortunately, this winter I have had to use my snow thrower attachment too many times: 11 and counting. I thank you for your significant and important participation

in the BD Forums. I was a great fan of the Columbo TV series and the character. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil