Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

A;; Of A Sudden Bdis 2015 Doesn't Like Thunderbird

Options

Today after popping in to check some emails, I read and answered a few and the system became non-responsive. E-mails wouldn't open, nothing worked and a "Not Responding" message was in the program's title bar Checking Task Manager confirms the not responding message.

Going into DBID window and turning off AV (5 minutes) suddenly brought everything back to life. As soon as the 5 minutes was up, the behavior returned .... rinse and repeat 6 times, same thing.

I'm 82 days into my subscription and I have spent time on at least 2/3 diagnosing one problem or another.

Comments

• Lionet
    Options
    Today after popping in to check some emails, I read and answered a few and the system became non-responsive. E-mails wouldn't open, nothing worked and a "Not Responding" message was in the program's title bar Checking Task Manager confirms the not responding message.

Going into DBID window and turning off AV (5 minutes) suddenly brought everything back to life. As soon as the 5 minutes was up, the behavior returned .... rinse and repeat 6 times, same thing.

I'm 82 days into my subscription and I have spent time on at least 2/3 diagnosing one problem or another.

Hi JackNaylorPE,

Welcome on the forum!

Please give information on your system.

Be sure you do not have any other antimalware program.

We need:

one and only one firewall.

one and only one anvirus.

You could repair your AV.

Open your Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender>Double click it and choose "Repair".

Allow it all to complete and reboot the system.

Does it fix the problem?

Regards,

L.

• Lionet
    Options

I add to my previous answer:

Edit: you could check & clean your system, it could help too. I do that once or twice a year:

Cleaning the system

Regards,

L.

• JackNaylorPE
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi JackNaylorPE,

Welcome on the forum!

Please give information on your system.

Be sure you do not have any other antimalware program.

We need:

one and only one firewall.

one and only one anvirus.

You could repair your AV.

Open your Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender>Double click it and choose "Repair".

Allow it all to complete and reboot the system.

Does it fix the problem?

Regards,

L.

Oh boy, guess I should have stated the obvious

1. System

CLEVO P170EM Laptop

2.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3720QM

16 GB

Intel® HD Graphics 4000 [Display adapter]

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M [Display adapter]

750 GB SSHD

2. There are no other AV, malware, firewall programs.... not that having any "non active" manual scanners would ever be an issue.

3. BD didn't get broken over the course of 5 minutes. I fixed it myself.

4. I make archives of my e-mail weekly w/ Mozbackup. PRC files are stored on one of my partitions for:

2015-07-16.prc

2015-07-09.prc

2015-07-02.prc

2015-06-25.prc

2015-06-25.prc

which represents the last 5 weeks of backups.

6. Apparently, BDIS 2015 has no problems with Thunderbird, no problems with my e-mails, no problems with their attachments. But suddenly, it has problems with the archives of those e-mails and yet not in all of them .... even tho the same e-mails are in each archive, some it objected to and some it did not. And again, it still doesn't have a problem with those e-mails when not archived.

7. I moved the archives to a networked machine and made a new one. Again, it had no problem with the files just when they were archived.

8. So I did a full system scan, and I'll stop here to ask a question and give you something to tease the engineers with :).

Ask them if they ever heard of SSDs. I had 2 BD log files one was 19 GB and one was 22 GB and there were 3 copies of each tho knowing windows, the other 2 were phantom copies. I'm using an SSD but have been putting our OS's on a separate 128 GB partition for over 20 years and the BD Log files have eaten almost half of that. The Program is on F:\ all our data is on G:\ ..... no way to store these where we want ? No way to delete the BD Program interface ?

9. Another thing, when it scans the archive and says "inbox", would be nice to know which of the 6 e-mil accounts they want you to look at.

10. So, in summary, I don't understand why it wouldn't let me use the program at all to send messages when it had a problem with a backup copy in an inbox archive on a separate drive. And if it had a problem with a email attachment, why not just a warning and a message for taking action; why freeze the program making such action impossible ?

As for cleaning ....

1. I use CCleaner about once a week

2. I use chkdisk and sfc /scannow when appropriate

3. I also do the WU checker

4. I check and manually clean registry once a month

5. Manually remove tmp / dmp / install files once a month

6. Manually remove excess / duplicate files once a month

• JackNaylorPE
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well spend most of the last 2 days troubleshooting w/ consistent results.

1. Scanning Thunderbird profile folder, shows no issues.

2. Scanning back up file shows issues, one of which interestingly enough was a IrfanView download file which I reported to an AV vendor was giving a false positive. which they later confirmed. I had Bitdefender scan the actual file and it's fine with it. I backup the file and scan the backup folder and it doesn't like it.

3. I delete the files from the email profile folder / I make the archive.... it still doesn't like it.

4. I delete all BD log files.... I scan the email profile folder and then remake the archive and I get thru without any false positives.

5. However I do get prompted for a password for a file about half way thru the scan. There are no password protected files and if their were, ya think it wuda complained when doing the actual profile folder. So it's fine with the file....it just doesn't like the archived file.

6. I deleted the file, scanned the folder (no issues) remade the archive, scanned the archive... it still asks for the password naming a email and a file which is not present.