[FIXED] Total Security '16 Blocks Dism /online On Windows 10

Feilakas
edited November 2015 in General

As of last week, Windows 10's latest stable build is 10586, replacing 10240 and everyone that cannot defer it will be forced to "upgrade" to that.

On said build, Bitdefender Total Security 2016 appears to interfere with the "/Online" parameter of the DISM command.

For those that don't know of it, the command

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

will repair a Windows 8/8.1/10 image when it becomes corrupt and the SFC /ScanNow command cannot repair it. Specifically the "/Online" portion tells the DISM command to download the appropriate files directly from the Windows update servers.

With a completely fresh Bitdefender Total Security 2016 installation where absolutely NO settings have been changed from their defaults, the above command after taking several minutes returns an error to the effect of "the sources were not available/could not be downloaded".

Turning off any and all modules, including the firewall makes no difference whatsoever.

After uninstalling Bitdefender, rebooting the system and re-running the above command results in a MUCH faster scan and a positive result:

"The restore operation completed successfully.

The operation completed successfully."

A further SFC scan also returns a "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." message.

Unfortunately I have noticed that a corruption occurs after every Windows update with Bitdefender installed and suspect (but cannot be positive) that Bitdefender somehow interferes with the update process and causes the "corruption" which in truth is simply a file mismatch, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender every few days.

Comments

• As of last week, Windows 10's latest stable build is 10586, replacing 10240 and everyone that cannot defer it will be forced to "upgrade" to that.

On said build, Bitdefender Total Security 2016 appears to interfere with the "/Online" parameter of the DISM command.

For those that don't know of it, the command

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

will repair a Windows 8/8.1/10 image when it becomes corrupt and the SFC /ScanNow command cannot repair it. Specifically the "/Online" portion tells the DISM command to download the appropriate files directly from the Windows update servers.

With a completely fresh Bitdefender Total Security 2016 installation where absolutely NO settings have been changed from their defaults, the above command after taking several minutes returns an error to the effect of "the sources were not available/could not be downloaded".

Turning off any and all modules, including the firewall makes no difference whatsoever.

After uninstalling Bitdefender, rebooting the system and re-running the above command results in a MUCH faster scan and a positive result:

"The restore operation completed successfully.

The operation completed successfully."

A further SFC scan also returns a "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." message.

Unfortunately I have noticed that a corruption occurs after every Windows update with Bitdefender installed and suspect (but cannot be positive) that Bitdefender somehow interferes with the update process and causes the "corruption" which in truth is simply a file mismatch, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender every few days.

Ah, I too suspected it. I am facing the very same issue. I tried every trick in the book to do a DISM Restorehealth. I even uninstalled BD. No Luck.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

As one of those who has yet to upgrade to Windows 10, and a user of BDTS2015, your reports are of concern to me, and I suspect, other users.

I would strongly recommend that each of you open Support Tickets with BD Technical Support.

I am planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 in the near future and upgrading to BDTS2016.

I would be most interested in the response that you receive from Bitdefender Technical Support in relation to the issue that you are reporting, which is, IMHO, very serious.

Thank you for posting, and hoping that Bitdefender Technical Support finds a solution for both of you that you can share with us here in the Forum.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• In my attempts to ascertain that there was no issue with my Windows installation, I used the MediaCreationTool for Windows 10 to download the latest Windows 10 ISO (version 1151 - 10586.14, the version I was previously running being 1151 - 10586.11) and ran it as an in-place re-installation, effectively replacing the entire OS but retaining my files, apps and most of my settings.

Once it was completed I ran a full diagnostic (both SFC and DISM) and found no corruptions. After that, I created a Restore Point and proceeded to reinstall Bitdefender.

Once the installation, activation and update were complete, I re-ran the checks and was again greeted with corruptions that, this time, like mirage22 reported were NOT able to be repaired even after I uninstalled Bitdefender.

SFC detected corruptions but couldn't repair them and DISM would not find appropriate sources even when I ran

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:esd:D:\x64\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

which specifies the folder containing the very files used to install the current Windows image as the source for the repair*.

After everything else failed and with BitDefender removed from the system, I restored Windows to the previously created Restore Point and re-ran the diagnostics, verifying that the corruption had indeed been repaired (or rather, undone).

Seeing as even the local sources failed to be detected (meaning it was not a connectivity issue), at this point the only assumption I can come to is that, Microsoft must keep separate versions of the files for every Windows build (8, 8.1, 10240 and 10586) and that Bitdefender must mix files intended for the 10240 build in 10586 thus corrupting the identifier and making the DISM command unable to properly detect the correct build in order to download/copy the appropriate files.

*One correction I must make to my previous post is concerning the /Online parameter. The /Online parameter specifies that DISM should target the currently running Windows (the OS that is "online"), as opposed to the /Image:<path_to_image_directory> parameter which specifies the path of the Windows being repaired, so that you could for instance connect the hard drive of a non-booting PC to a functioning one to repair it.

For online images, DISM will by default check Microsoft's Windows Update servers for the correct sources. To change that behavior one must specify an alternate source ("/Source") and add the "/limitaccess" parameter, instructing it to ONLY use the specified source.

• Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We will run some internal tests in order to replicate the situation and post back with our results.

Thank you for your patience!

• Hello all,

Thank you for your patience.

Our internal testing replicated the error "The source files could not be found" without Bitdefender installed also.

Could you please attach to your reply a screen shot displaying the exact error message received on your end?

Also include a Bitdefender diagnostic log:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

Thank you in advance for your help!

• I am afraid I have since used an offline session under Windows PE to repair the corruption and no longer have access to any Bitdefender's logs since I performed a complete removal and System Restore.

Right now both SFC and DISM run just fine and find no issues with Windows.

However the exact error code DISM gave out was the following:

"Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

Attached you will find a zip file (renamed into .log to fool the attachment system) including the SFC (cbs) and DISM (dism) logs detailing all my attempts at repairing the corruption. Hopefully some might be relevant but I must warn you that it includes more than a dozen checks and is rather lengthy.

Concerning the message "The source files could not be found", that could easily be replicated by simply depriving the system access to the "Windows Update" servers since that is what DISM uses by default to get the correct files when using the /online parameter.

However, as I stated in my previous post, even when using the command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:esd:D:\x64\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

which specifically tells DISM to disregard Windows Update and instead get the files from the local "sources" folder failed by returning the exact same error message, prompting me to realize it was not a matter of the command being unable to contact Windows Update but of detecting the correct build in order to fetch the correct files.

In contrast, the command:

Dism /image:G:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:esd:D:\x64\sources\install.esd:1 /scratchdir:D:\scratch

that is ran from outside the windows we're trying to repair (be it from the PE environment or a 2nd windows installation) succeeded in repairing all corruptions. Subsequent use of the command:

SFC /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\Windows

showed no corruption.

One last interesting piece of information is that in one instance I tried to run "System Restore" (RstrUI) with Bitdefender still installed and it failed citing locked access to files from an antivirus program.

Disabling Bitdefender without uninstalling it did NOT solve the problem. Again, running RstrUI from Windows PE functioned correctly and returned my system to the intended restore point.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14375" data-fileid="14375" rel="">Logs.zip.log

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    edited December 2015

Not sure if its the latest BD update --> 20.0.24.1290 or anything else but the DISM and SFC commands ran successfully and fixed the errors for me..

I extracted "install.esd" to a seperate folder in the system drive and used it as source file..

But the DISM command failed again to retreive source file via windows update

• mirage22
    edited December 2015

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - wasn't working earlier, nor now.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess - wasn't working earlier, but it worked now after the latest BD update.

sfc /scannow reports no errors either.

• @mirage22, @Keyper of the 7

Please send us the data requested here if the DISM command still fails with Bitdefender build version 20.0.24.1290 (right click on the B icon from system tray and choose About to see the build number):

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=247282

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia:

I had occasion today to run a "dism" command, as specified (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth). It worked perfectly with the current build of BDTS2016, and fixed the errors that sfc had found. I am really glad that bug has been fixed. Thank you.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• That's terrific, Phil! Thanks for posting back. I will now close this topic.

This discussion has been closed.