Unlocking file

Hi. I have no idea if this is the correct forum, so move this if required.

I have a problem with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017 (paid version) where it "locks" a file until reboot.

The file is protected with a program named "ConfuserEX" which "protects" and/or "obfuscates" .NET files, making it probably look like malware.

BD then decides to "lock" the file, even if I have excluded the folder AND filename from being "scanned". It is not moved to quarantined files, so I can't restore it. It's just locked.

This is pretty annoying as this often happens with other files aswell. Is there any way of unlocking a file without restarting my whole computer which takes several minutes?

I attached a picture of one of the messages I get while trying to modify (copy/cut/etc) the file from windows explorer. Opening a cmd window as admin (or even as nt/system) does NOT give me permission to the file either.

Capture.PNG

Comments

• Hello,

Please follow the steps in the article below to add the file to the exception list.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-add-exclusions-(exceptions)-in-bitdefender-2017-1784.html

If you have the Ransomware protection enabled on that location, please add the application to the whitelist.

• The file and folder is in the exception list

• Hello  HoverCatz. 

I haven`t heard for ConfuserEX yet, but have you tried to add it to BD exclusions list, the program itself?

Cheers default_happy.png

• Hi,

I'm having similar issue as /index.php?/profile/208937-hovercatz/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208937" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208937-hovercatz/" rel="">@HoverCatz, I installed a program which I know is safe. Bitdefender decided to remove the executable from the installation directory, I then added the folder to exclusions and recovered the removed executable. But for some reason either Bitdefender did not recover the file or removed it again. I tried to manually add the executable back into the folder and it gave me similar message as seen in HoverCatz image.

"You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from ComputerName/User to make changes to this file"

I am the User, I tried to change the permissions on the folder, but no luck. I then tried to install the software again into the same folder, but it failed when it came to the executable. A popup came with saying it did not have access to that file.

Lastly I tried to install it into a new directory, and exactly the same thing happened. Bitdefender removed the executable, I recovered and excluded it, the file was still not recovered and I have no way to add it back again. I can add any other file into the folder where I've installed the software, but if the file name is exactly the same as the executable, it won't allow it. I also have no way to exclude only the executable anymore since it does not exist in the folder.

Have wasted 2 days on this, really annoying issue. Has anyone got a solution to this?

Using Windows 10 and Total Security 2017.

• Can't edit posts here?

Anyway, found a solution where it does not "lock" the file.

Created a empty folder first where I would install the software, then went into Bitdefender and excluded that folder right away instead of after installation. Have had no issues so far by doing it like this.

But parts of the last post still stand, where Bitdefender removes a file which it thinks is a virus without being able to restore it properly. Did click on restore in Bitdefender where it notified me it had removed it, it seemed to have restored it for a second but shorty after removed it again completely without any notice. Running the installation again or adding back the removed file manually will give you an error message saying you don't have permission to do that (even tho i'm the admin).