bdagentd and BDLDaemon takes high CPU usage

13»

Comments

• ron70
    edited September 2018

Hi!

Thanks for the info! As far as I know scanning backups IS already excluded. The latest adventure turned out to  be preparing for an update, combined with some form of scanning. What is left over is the Time Machine-interference. Everytime it stopped backups when it found ancient malware in ancient mail archives in my excluded mail folder. Or actually: for now that is solved by removing the folder I wanted to exclude and instead add all its files and subfolders. That made the problem (knock knock knock) go away for the last couple of days. I really hope that this bug or behavior did not affect my Time Machine copies in any way. According to Apple I am fine as long as Time Machine didn’t generate any errors, which it didn’t. For me it’s strange though that Bitdefender can stop the back-up process without any warning though. That should never be the case. I discovered t just in time, otherwise I would have missed MANY hourly backups. Anyway, it’s in the hands of support now, tomorrow I will send a required report. Hopefully that will lead to some clarification.

I think - wrapping up the problems encountered by Bitdefender lately - that consistency and information is the key to success. In other words: Bitdefender should behave consistent, also after updates. IF there are new options or changes in behavior, it should inform about that. For example, I never look in the history logs of Bitdefender normally, but started doing so some time ago because of problems encountered. In the past, sometimes in those logs was mentions Autopilot switched on. After one update, this message dissappeared completely (while the scanner was working fine). After the latest update it is always mentioned after starting. I would say: make a definitive choice so we all know what is standard. Just an example.

With communication I mean that in the main Windows information should appear of what Bitdefender is doing. In case of no activity ‘protected’ will do. If a (background) scan is going on, it should be mentioned there also, preferably with a progress indicator and info of what exactly it is scanning. Notifications are not necessary, such info should just be visble when opening the main window. Also a cancel-button for processes that are safe to cancel should be available. I have had some occasions that Bitdefender was doing ‘something’ without informing. I have no clue if it is safe to shutdown my computer then. It could have been preparing for updating, or just a background scan. What happens when I shut down a system when something essential is going on etc? Right now, before shutting down I check running processes just to be sure Bitdefender isn’t doing something. Not practical.

I don’t mean this as offensive critics, but I hope it will be concstructive. In essence, Bitdefender is a good product, but it’s - as said - lacking information and consistency. Also I fear that there are some function standard switched on, that might give trouble down the line. It’s not for nothimg support told me to switch off Time Machine Protection, although I am not sure anymore if it has anything to do with my problem. Those should be offered as options that COULD give users in SOME scenarios (with weird behaving software) some extra protection. But in most situations it’s not needed. The same for VPN. Great idea, even very chea.p what I understood. But inform users and let them choose. I know how I can not make it start after logging in, but many users don’t know and get irritated. That’s sad.

Greetings,

Ron.

PS Talking about information: Mojave is around the corner. Is Bitdefender compatible with that or will it be at release date? The advice of Apple is to uninstall it before upgrading and then afterwards reinstalling it. But ONLY if it is compatible... 

• Hi Ron,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have replied on your personal email.

• Hi,

I just did an upgrade from MacOS Sierra to MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and I see again an abnormal high cpu consumption from BDLDaemon.

This happens when I'm doing a simple request on Safari, for example refreshing the google.fr page. BDLDaemon suddenly takes 90% cpu for 5-10 seconds. In the Bitdefender icon it says that it's doing a analysis of new files in background.

I tried to un-install and re-install Bitdefender but it doesn't solve the problem.

On the console I can see a lot of message, I attached a text file with a selection of these messages.

For now I will stop Bitdefender to preserve by battery.

Rgds

BDLDaemon console.rtf

• That’s normal behavior, sometimes Bitdefender really has to check some files. Keep in mind that whatever page you open, lots of files are stored locally. And those are scanned. A few seconds is not a problem, in my opinion...

• On 9/4/2018 at 3:39 PM, Roxana G said:

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have replied on your personal email.

:)

• I don't think so. 90% during more than 5 seconds for a single access is not normal at all. It means that while I'm browsing on the web BDLDaemon will empty my battery...

I have another mac where BDLDaemon is constantly at 80% without any active app.

I started a full scan on my 2 computers to see if the internal database will be updated an if the "new files" will be correctly detected. 

• After the 2 full scan the result is the following :

The problem is still present on the 1st mac, a MacbookPro MacOS 10.13.6 with APFS encrypted disk. 

On the 2nd mac, no problem anymore : iMac MacOS 10.13.6 with HFS+ disk (not encrypted).

• 1 hour ago, kekule said:

After the 2 full scan the result is the following :

The problem is still present on the 1st mac, a MacbookPro MacOS 10.13.6 with APFS encrypted disk. 

On the 2nd mac, no problem anymore : iMac MacOS 10.13.6 with HFS+ disk (not encrypted).

Hm, maybe the key is the encryption. I do not have any knowledge about that however, maybe contact support...?

• On 9/8/2018 at 12:44 AM, kekule said:

After the 2 full scan the result is the following :

Hello Kekule,

We recommend you to contact us as bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs required in this article:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1728/

• Bitdefender Central is a fresh out of the plastic new security center point, which enables you to deal with your Bitdefender items from a solitary.

Bitdefender Central

Bitdefender Central

Bitdefender Central

Bitdefender Central

TrendMicro.com/download

TrendMicro.com/bestbuy

Top 10 Bikes In India

• just a quick update for those following my issue....i haven't called AppleCare yet.  having some health issues and not up to the lengthy/involved call i assume it will be...but i will let everyone know what i find out or happens...

/index.php?/profile/214530-ron70/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214530" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214530-ron70/" rel="">@ron70 glad you got straightened out for the most part! and thanks for writing that excellent note to support! 

• 42 minutes ago, corneredcat said:

just a quick update for those following my issue....i haven't called AppleCare yet.  having some health issues and not up to the lengthy/involved call i assume it will be...but i will let everyone know what i find out or happens...

/index.php?/profile/214530-ron70/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214530" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214530-ron70/" rel="">@ron70 glad you got straightened out for the most part! and thanks for writing that excellent note to support! 

No thanks & get well soon ! ;-)

• :( the problem returned in its full ugliness after being away for some weeks.

• oh noooo! what a bummer...but good that you are posting this info. if nothing else..it will keep me from ever buying their products again. 

p.s. i still haven't done anything with apple care...