Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Excessive Usage

On Sunday September 29th, I received a message that my hard drive was almost out of capacity. When I checked the Bitdefender program on my hard drive I found out that Bitdefender was using over 240 gig of file space. I called my local tech rep and we removed old logs as well as uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Security 2020. In the past two days it appears that Bitdefender program files have already consumed 670MB of storage. Is this normal or is something not programmed correctly?

Comments

• On 10/3/2019 at 2:40 AM, Lew 39 said:

On Sunday September 29th, I received a message that my hard drive was almost out of capacity. When I checked the Bitdefender program on my hard drive I found out that Bitdefender was using over 240 gig of file space. I called my local tech rep and we removed old logs as well as uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Security 2020. In the past two days it appears that Bitdefender program files have already consumed 670MB of storage. Is this normal or is something not programmed correctly?

Hello Lew 39,

Please let us know which Bitdefender file occupies now 670 Mb, so that we can say if the size is normal.

• Roxana,

I appreciate your response. I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Security. I am monitoring file size (excel daily spreadsheet) /applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=19526" data-fileext="xlsx" rel="">Bitdefender.xlsxBitdefender.xlsxBitdefender.xlsxand so far we are doing well!. I believe when I upgraded from Internet Security 2019 from to 2020 something must have happened. The file size in the Bitdefender Program files and Program Data files are well within 650MB. 

• Hi,

If the entire Bitdefender folder is 650 Mb, then the size is normal. The size before reinstalling Bitdefender was not normal and it might have been so large because there was a log activated.

• I had exactly the same problem some months ago and I traced it to the main Bitdefender service executable.  I sent all the evidence to Bitdefender support and they lazily told me to upgrade, which I did, to Bitdefender 2020.  The executable name has now changed to bdservicehost.exe (can't remember the previous name) but the problem of intermittent high memory usage remains. 

I suggest you monitor the working set of bdservicehost.exe and advise Bitdefender Support of the usage.

Good luck - when I get the time I will be logging another incident for the same problem.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214631" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/" rel="">@andrew558,

Thank you for the information provided so far. When possible, please provide us with a screenshot of the memory usage of bdservicehost.exe in order for us to further assess the situation.

• andrew558
    edited October 2019

Hello @Alex D.

please provide us with a screenshot of the memory usage of bdservicehost.exe in order for us to further assess the situation.

I can do much better than that - I can send you the monitoring statistics that clearly show how the memory utilisation of bdservicehost is practically unrestricted and I can illustrate a use case that causes the scenario to occur as well as a workaround.

What I want Bitdefender to do is to resolve the problem.  It is a severe performance issue and has been caused by a thoughtless coding decision.

What I ask is some time in which to do this - I have little free time during the week and will probably not be able to get the detail to you until the weekend.

Please reply.

• I have been experiencing problems over the past day, and bdservicehost.exe seems to be involved.

I first noticed that something was constantly accessing my hard drive every two to three seconds. I could hear it, "brrr......brrr....brrr....", ad infinitum, or at least for sixteen hours or so.

Then I noticed network activity that corresponded to the disk I/O. In the attached screen cap of Glasswire's 5 minute graph page filtered for bdservicehost, there are bursts of I/O every 2-3 sec. I watched as the peaks matched the audible disk chatter. On the 24hr graph it's apparent that bdservicehost had been behaving this way for eleven hours so far.

Today, I am having severe mouse lag and eventually the mouse freezes completely. I found that I have to cycle my KVM switch to get it back.

My system is busy and I/O activity makes the problem less obvious. I'm busy also and haven't looked more closely, but yesterday I was seeing bdservicehost.exe and svchost.exe (DcomLaunch) everyplace I looked (ResMon and Task Manager mainly, haven't had time for Process Monitor).

I don't know if this is related to the problems related by others in this post, but I wanted to share my experience and a couple of screen captures now, in case it helps.

Side note: how can I determine which version of Bitdefender Total Security I am running? I swear I was able to find this easily in the past!

Glasswire 5min Graph of bdservicehost network activity.png

Glasswire 24hr Graph of bdservicehost activity.png

• I should add that I have not noticed the full logs or memory bloat mentioned by others, but I haven't really looked too closely either.

Here are some screen caps of Resmon page, filtered for bdservicehost.

Resmon memory page filtered to show bdservicehost.png

Resmon network page filtered to show bdservicehost.png

Resmon overview filtered to show bdservicehost.png

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214631" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/" rel="">@andrew558 and /index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="189819" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/" rel="">@foyle,

Please reach us at bitsy@bitdefender.com in order for us to further assist you. Once you have emailed us with the description of the situation (you can copy it from your posts here), reply to this thread with your ticket number. You will receive an email informing you that a support ticket was opened.

Thank you!

• Alex D,

I had some time to look more closely at this situation today and I think I found the cause, at least for my particular problem.

I realized how often I had mentioned my stuttering mouse in the problem report and I had thought it was a victim, but it looks like it was the cause of the problem.

I replaced the mouse and the problem went away! No more stuttering or "laggy" feel to my PC's performance.

I guess that the issues I had on 10/29 where bdservicehost was acting strangely may have been the result of a malfunctioning mouse.

I'm very sorry that I took up your time with a mouse problem that I tried to blame on Bitdefender!

• Hi /index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="189819" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/" rel="">@foyle

A dodgy mouse does not cause crippling memory utilisation.

I will provide the evidence tomorrow evening.

regards

andrew558

• The problem can be clearly seen in the chart in the uploaded xlsx, which is based on captured Windows performance counter data.

Periodically throughout the day, the memory utilisation of bdservicehost.exe increased hugely from a c. 1.5 GB virtual memory address space usage to c. 25-33 GB within the space of a few minutes.

The data resident in the spreadsheet was not the only data that I captured throughout the day.  However, by the time I believe it was during this session that I had discovered the specific scenario that, in this case, was causing the problem.  Hence, I was able to reproduce the problem at will.

I had been tidying up my file system and was deleting old and unused files - some of them large and related to software installation, i.e. self-extracing executables or archives of setup files. When trying to delete these files from explorer , the memory utilisation of bdservicehost increased hugely (as far as I can recall, the combined size of the files was c. 5.5 GB).

As you can imagine, the symptoms are severe: disk activity is high (presumably due to high amounts of paging, which I didn't capture) and the machine comes to a standstill due to all other processes being starved of memory; explorer.exe eventually crashes and has to be started manually or the machine must be restarted. You will also notice by looking at the chart that the paging file does not increase much in size, presumably because the working set of bdservicehost when this behaviour occurs is mostly non-pageable.

I am upset about this for the following reasons:

1. This is an appalling inefficient antivirus program, i.e the method used to scan files has been coded with no thought whatsoever to the performance impact.

2. There should be no need to scan files that are being deleted - the shell will not even open the files!

3. I raised this issue way back in July (ticket no: 2019071120320003) but was dismissed with a "try upgrading to Bitdefender 2020" line, which clearly indicates that BD Support did not even try to investigate the problem.

4. It cost me the price of a replacement hard disk and the time required to install it (due to the high disk activity, I wrongly assumed the disk was failing so I replaced it).

5. All your Total Security customers (and perhaps more) are affected.

Needless to say, I regret my decision to renew last month.

Could you please do your customers the courtesy of resolving this problem as a high priority item.

P.S.

There is, of course, a workaround (not a fix), which cannot be recommended as it exposes the user to a higher risk of virus infection:

Protection -> ANTIVIRUS Settings -> Advanced antivirus settings -> Scan only applications

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=19584" data-fileExt='xlsx' data-fileid='19584'>USER-PC_20191027-000016.xlsx

• If there is such a problem with the software, the support team should send the situation to the development department. We are waiting for a response regarding this situation. Thank you!

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214631" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214631-andrew558/" rel="">@andrew558,

Currently we are waiting for your reply via email to the aforementioned support ticket number. Our last suggestion was by no means dismissive, however, at that point an upgrade to the latest version of the software would've been recommended.  After our latest email we did not receive a reply for 3 months, hence why we could no longer further investigate and assist you with this matter. As soon as we will receive the requested logs we will gladly continue the troubleshooting process.

/index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="189819" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/189819-foyle/" rel="">@foyle - Glad to hear you got it solved. Cheers!