Bitdefender box 2 Ethernet devices

Newbitphil
edited October 2019 in Bitdefender box

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I believe my box 2 has been setup correctly and I have been using it for a while now. I am using an ISP supplied router to which the box 2 has created a clone of my existing network and same passwords etc. The issue I am having is that none of my Ethernet devices show up as connected devices in the central app or have even been discovered but I have no problems with WiFi connected devices. I am a bit confused as I would of thought they should show up or is it that they are bypassing the box and are not currently being protected? For example my Ethernet devices include sky q, playstation 4, hue bridge, lg smart tv, devolo magic 2, pc. Apart from PC which says outside of network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• Michael_BD
    Michael_BD Technical Support Manager BD Staff

Hi,

For BOX to display devices, they need to be connected to its network and receive an IP from it (BOX). If those devises are connected to the ISP router, they are are not connected to BOX and cannot appear in the Central app. I would recommend connecting a network switch to the BOX LAN port and then connect all those devices to it.

• Just joined the forum

Seriously considering the BOX2

You seem to suggest that the box 2 will protect both wired and wireless traffic

What is the configuration for this.

I have a netgear n600 adsl modem/router

Thank you

Mike

On 10/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Michael Bitdefender BOX said:

Hi,

For BOX to display devices, they need to be connected to its network and receive an IP from it (BOX). If those devises are connected to the ISP router, they are are not connected to BOX and cannot appear in the Central app. I would recommend connecting a network switch to the BOX LAN port and then connect all those devices to it.

New to the forum

Seriously considering the BOX 2

You seem to be suggesting that the box 2 will protect both wired and wireless devices?

Is this simple to setup?

Thank you

Mike

• My configuration is using it with my ISP provider modem/router which cloned my wireless network and switched off the wireless on the ISP router. From that I have a network switch to manage the wired connection which connects to the lan port on the box 2. Prior to the network switch I had the wired connections going directly to ISP router which obviously didn’t work but for some reason I thought it would as I had linked the BOX 2 and router. All now shows in the Central app and it is pretty simple to set up but a few minor queries that weren’t answered in the instruction guide. Overall I really like it but the reason I purchased was the growing smart tech that is being added to the home such as hue bulbs etc... I wanted to add a layer of protection. 

• 3 hours ago, Newbitphil said:

My configuration is using it with my ISP provider modem/router which cloned my wireless network and switched off the wireless on the ISP router. From that I have a network switch to manage the wired connection which connects to the lan port on the box 2. Prior to the network switch I had the wired connections going directly to ISP router which obviously didn’t work but for some reason I thought it would as I had linked the BOX 2 and router. All now shows in the Central app and it is pretty simple to set up but a few minor queries that weren’t answered in the instruction guide. Overall I really like it but the reason I purchased was the growing smart tech that is being added to the home such as hue bulbs etc... I wanted to add a layer of protection. 

So you had to purchase an additional switch?

I wonder how I would configure the BOX for DSL?

Seems that I would need to use my existing modem/router for the DSL connection?

Wonder if anyone has done this and how?

Mike

• That's right - you need to use your existing router for the DSL connection, with a single wired connection to the BOX. Since the BOX only has two ports, you need to buy a switch if you have more than one Ethernet device. Wireless needs to be switched off on the router or devices will be able to connect directly to it, which will leave them unprotected. You can have more complicated stuff downstream of the BOX - for example, I have a mesh network with three nodes. The master node has a wired connection to the BOX (via the switch), the other two connect to the master node wirelessly and one of them has another switch attached to it for wired connections to other devices. Seems to work - at least, the BOX detects all devices and claims to be protecting them. Not sure how you'd know if it wasn't...

• Custer
    edited January 2020

When a device is connected to Box it will show an assigned IP Address beginning with 172.X.X.X. Without being connected, devices have IP Address beginning with 192.X.X.X.

Also there are sites to test protection for both Windows and Android devices like "AMTSO" https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/ (AMTSO is the Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization) and "Eicar" https://www.eicar.org/ 

Note: Depending on a vendors participation, the results may vary.