BD Vulnerability scan has always show skype but i don't even have it?

As long as i can remember every time i do a Vulnerability scan is shows straight away that skype is vulnerable but i don't even have it installed on my laptop, not sure why this hasn't ever been fixed as an issue if its not installed?

Would i have to install skype to get the message to go away?

Thanks

James

Best Answer

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓

If you have uninstalled it, kindly check if the below stated registry entry has been removed.

Press Windows Key + R and type regedit ,click ok. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Skype and delete the entire folder. Also in the registry editor press Ctrl + F and type skype and checkmark match whole strings only. Search whole registry for any skype entry and delete. Continue searching registry and deleting skype entries until find option shows up no registry entry/ key found.

Also, on the search bar of your C: drive (drive where your windows/ program files are stored) kindly search for the name skype & delete all the folder & files which show up with the same name. Chances are some files may not get deleted for which you will have to go into safe mode and follow the same procedure.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@james_uk

If you have Windows 10, Skype is installed as a part of Windows 10 by default. It does not appear on your list of installed programs, but unless you removed Skype from Windows 10, it should appear on the Start menu list of programs. You can uninstall Skype from Windows 10.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I have uninstalled it :)

But it still shows in BD as needing to be updated

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@james_uk

I can't help you any further. I have Skype installed on my computers and a Vulnerability Scan does not reveal any Skype issues.

You will probably have to email Bitdefender Tech Support at "bitsy@bitdefender.com.

Good luck and have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Thanks for your help to both, Flexx i removed all terms of skype from reg and c: as suggested as skpye no longer shows up in the vulnerability scan now.

Thanks