Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How do I prevent Bitdefender from cleaning out the 'hosts' file?

Options

I've newly installed Bitdefender (having previously used a competitor product). Ever since I find that my 'hosts' file is being cleaned out. Not deleted, the file is still there, but empty.

I have read that this can be prevented. There's a string of instructions starting with 'Click on the human icon...', but I think this is for an earlier version of BD, as I do not see the same screens, and there are no options concerning the 'hosts' file in 'Settings Advanced'.

I have now tried making the 'hosts' file read-only (as suggested), but this is an awkward solution as I now have to take extra steps if I need to edit it. Nor have I tested whether this actually works.

Is there a real solution to this problem, please?

Best Answer

Answers

• ramasaig
    Options

Thank you. That discussion was obviously started by someone who had found the same earlier link (no longer valid) as I had. I have now disabled 'Scan hosts file'; it remains to be seen what happens when I re-start my computer. I remain puzzled, because scanning the hosts file shouldn't result in it being emptied of all content, surely?

I have a local server for testing web sites, and my hosts file is vital for accessing those sites from my browser. I cannot allow it to be emptied all the time.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @ramasaig,

Normally, the hosts file shouldn't be modified. Are you still encountering this situation after disabling the "Scan hosts file" option and restarting the device? Kindly let us know.

Thanks!

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• ramasaig
    Options

After a bit of experimentation, a few days ago I switched the 'Scan hosts file' option ON again, and so far all has been OK. I've made a separate backup copy just in case...

The previous hosts file contained some stuff that had been inserted (automatically) by some other program (name lost), and it may have been this that Bitdefender objected to. Having removed it, all seems well.

I would still argue that Bitdefender shouldn't just empty the hosts file without issuing some warning?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@ramasaig thank you for following up on this matter.

There are very rare cases where hosts file would require any modifications, but generally speaking it's pretty dodgy to tamper with. Just in case this resurfaces, I would advise to get in touch with our engineers for further advice. You can reach them by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Best regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• ramasaig
    Options

That doesn't accord with my experience. I run a local Apache server on my computer for web site development. In order to display the local sites in my browser I have to list them in the hosts file (as well as configuring Apache v-hosts).

So my hosts file looks like this (first five lines):

127.0.0.1   localhost

127.0.0.1   mullbed2

127.0.0.1   mullbed3

127.0.0.1   gigaplus2

127.0.0.1   mullbed

127.0.0.1   creichhall

To show those sites in my browser I type (e.g.) 'http://mullbed2

Bitdefender was deleting all those lines. But it's OK now that I've removed the other stuff that was added automatically by some other program. I've lost the name of that program, but I think it was one that claimed to reset all links to 'unread'. Possibly called 'Unchecky' ?

Of course, once I've made those entries 'hosts' doesn't require further alteration, which is perhaps what you meant?

Regards,

Tim Dawson