Samsung data breach July 2022

Did anyone else receive an email from Samsung about this breach? This email hit my inbox at 11:00 a.m. Friday September 2nd. I'll start taking steps to mitigate the damage, and hopefully prevent further spread. Besides taking advantage of the resources Samsung has described in the email, are there any other steps I can take to button this up? I'm curious if this breach is related to the large uptick in spam emails and SMS pishing expidetion messages that I've been receiving over the past month?

My thanks goes out to the community members who spend their time helping others with their excellent posts. You're working effort has really made things easier for me when I need answer. Also, I want to say thanks to the employees of Bitdefender for keeping us safe.

- S. S.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2022

No, I had not seen or received that one, yet. Thank you for the heads up S.S., and for the kind words :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

As i can see from the e-mail, it seems that only US citizens are affected by the data breach.

I do own a Samsung Galaxy mobile, but never received this kind of an e-mail. Maybe because i don't live in the US.

You should contact the official Samsung US support.

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

SS, I received it right about the time I was posting.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• SS
    SS
    edited September 2022

Scott, you're welcome. Hopefully the fallout won't be too problematic for everyone involved. Fingers crossed..

• Gjoksi,

Thanks for the advice. I will contact Samsung. I'm glad it wasn't Samsung customers globally who were affected.

• Hello @SS,

Thank you very much for the heads-up and appreciation. It means a lot for everyone here, to know that our work does make a difference and the content we post is helpful. We have such great people here on these forums and I never miss a chance to tell them how purposeful their actions are.

I have sent your feedback to our teams, I'm sure it will put a smile on their faces 😊

I'm using an iPhone so I'm not really aware of this, but when it comes to data breaches, that's something that no company wants to hear, it's one of the worst case scenarios that may happen, as they involve negative consequences ranging from fines to broken consumer trust, loss of new business or existing and so on. Fortunately, there are ways to mitigate the aftermath and usually this involves transparency about their efforts to contain the leak and stop additional data loss by identifying and addressing existing vulnerabilities. Communication is of utmost importance and we have seen that companies that try to bury the extent of their breach often experience much worse consequences in customer backlash.

Prevention is key and as users, we should always ensure that we are doing our very best to protect our personal information and take the necessary measures to create strong and resilient defences. Keeping our apps up to date is probably one of the first steps to take, as in many cases, cybercriminals are looking for vulnerabilities that can be exploited. Having the right password length and complexity combined with 2FA when possible will boost security.

But of course, it's not much we can do if someone else spilled the pot.

I truly hope the damage is minimal in this case and I would advise to change any passwords and e-mail addresses that might be linked to your account and could be affected by the said breach.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi, @Alexandru_BD,

Thank you for the positive reinforcement and valuable guidance you have given to me. I will secure all email accounts connected to this leak. I feel very happy to be a Bitdefender customer. The service and products that BD provides to their users is stellar. I hope you are having a good day.