Bdservicehost consistently averaging 20% CPU

Hi, I've noticed that whenever I startup my PC and check task manager, I see bdservicehost (the virus shield) using 18-22% CPU very consistently. When I launch a game or something and the CPU is high, the service drops to 10-13% CPU usage and goes back up to 20%. I've just noticed as I am writing this that it stopped and have noticed in the past couple days it stops after a while. I don't really want to reinstall so is this usual behaviour and if not does anyone know a fix?

Best Answer

• Takend
    Takend ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello, after some thinking, I've figured out it's probably due to Razer Synapse updating (my mouse/keyboard software). I no longer use razer products and after uninstalling it seems that the cpu usage is much better.

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hi @Takend

Are you running Windows 11? As for myself, the same thing happened with their 22H2 update(s). BD Total Security was using 12-23% CPU, even after 3 restarts and waiting 5 minutes for it to settle down, which it didn't. My poor little notebook has been through some high CPU issues in the past, so I uninstalled BD for now until a BD update or Windows follow-up update. I'm not saying you should do that, as you could contact support and submit a log file as per their request, but since I have a license for another AV, I just installed that until things get resolved. :)

Cheers :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi @Scott, I am running Windows 10 21H2 with Bitdefender Free. I just tried a restart and this time it only took a couple minutes for bdservicehost to calm down. Not really sure why this happens but if it starts again I might contact support.

• Scott

If it eventually settles down, I wouldn't worry too much about it. @Nunzio d'Abbruzzo used the free version for a while, so I'm not sure of his experience and what version of Windows he was using or its build number, but maybe he will have an observation or two?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 mod
    edited October 2022

I've honestly never noticed such high CPU usage in a long time since that process. When starting up for 1 or 2 minutes I think it is also normal because it analyzes the various processes that start and if you have many starting I think it is normal. I had also noticed this behavior in Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and also every time Chrome is opened, programs are started etc ... With Bitdefender in normal use, I don't know abnormal CPU usage. Only the RAM goes from moments in which it is at 80/90% to 300 / 350Mb, a behavior that I have not yet understood and we are waiting for any optimizations by Bitdefender. How long have you installed it? Did you do a full scan?

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Scott

Helpful post, thank you for answering my shout-out @Nunzio d'Abbruzzo :)

• Thanks @Scott 🙂😉👍🔝

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• mijn CPU werkt ook steeds op 70+ tot 95 % op de geheugen

wat kunnen we hier aan doen ?

we draaien op windows 10 Home versie 22H2

64 bit

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx   2.10 GHz

Ram geheugen : 8,00 GB (5,88 GB beschikbaar)

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@The-Bossss-Of-Solutions

Hallo.

Neem contact op met de consumentenondersteuning van Bitdefender:

Bitdefender Belgie - Nederlands

chat: 24/7

tel.: Netherlands (+31) 208084508, (+31) 203690744 (In het Engels 24/7)

tel.: Belgie +32 28 80 71 70 (Francais - du lundi au vendredi de 9h a 17h)

Bitdefender Nederland - Nederlands

chat: 24/7

tel.: Netherlands (+31) 208084508, (+31) 203690744 (In het Engels 24/7)

tel.: Belgie +32 28 80 71 70 (Francais - du lundi au vendredi de 9h a 17h)

OPMERKING: De telefonische ondersteuning van Bitdefender is niet gratis!

Vriendelijke groeten.

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Ik denk niet dat het de schuld is van Bitdefender maar eerder van de browser(s) met meerdere tabbladen die open staan,....

Mvg,