Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Unified wintun PUBLIC network

Options

When using BD's VPN, my internet is plugged in by ethernet to my computer. It shows Unified wintun PUBLIC network when the VPN is on. Questions… Is this a type of tunneling? The word PUBLIC bothers me, should I be worried? Can I just turn off the VPN when I'm having problems with it, or what should I do?

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @RanMan_29,

Unified Wintun is the name of the VPN adapter and it's perfectly normal to be displayed like that.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• GaryP
    GaryP BSIT, MPW
    Options

I just reinstalled windows 10 as well as renstalling BD. The UNIFIED WINTUN adapter started appearing subsequent.

I never saw the WINTUN adapter beforem and when it is present the WIFI symbol in the taskbar is not present, although I am connected to the network, so no problem right?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Yeah, that sounds about right. 🙂

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• abuislam
    Options

It's understandable to have questions and concerns when you notice unfamiliar network names, especially when using a VPN. Let me address your queries:

1. Unified wintun PUBLIC network: Yes, this is indeed a type of tunneling facilitated by the VPN. Tunneling allows your data to be securely transmitted over the internet by encapsulating it within a private, encrypted connection. The term "PUBLIC" indicates that the network is operating in a public environment, such as the internet.
    2. Should I be worried about "PUBLIC": The term "PUBLIC" simply denotes that the network is operating in a public environment, which is typical for VPN connections. As long as you're using a reputable VPN service like Bitdefender, your data should be encrypted and secure, even when connected to a public network.
    3. Can I turn off the VPN when having problems: If you encounter issues with the VPN, such as slow speeds or connectivity issues, you can certainly try turning it off temporarily to see if that resolves the problem. However, if you're concerned about security, it's generally advisable to keep the VPN enabled, especially when accessing sensitive information or using public Wi-Fi networks.

If you continue to experience issues with the VPN, I recommend reaching out to Bitdefender support for assistance. They can provide personalized troubleshooting and help ensure that your VPN is functioning correctly and securely.