Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Notepad Crashes Bd-related?

Options

Since upgrading to BD Internet Security 2010 from 2009, I am seeing Windows Notepad (on WinXP SP3) crash with an error message for the first time in my many years as a Windows user. I'm sorry, but I haven't noted the error number yet.

I remember seeing a BD forum post about this very problem but can't find it now. I don't remember which product it concerned, but I am using BDIS version 13.0.15. As I recall, BD support replied that the problem would be addressed in an update.

Is there a fix available for this problem now? I've been running regular updates of BD, including an apparently major one today that required two reboots. I haven't seen the crash since then, but it was erratic in the first place.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hello debitto,

Posting the exact error text/code (and maybe a screenshot) would be very helpful to know if it is a known (and/or fixed) issue or not. So if it happens again, please note all details that you can (as I said, a screenshot would be nice also) and post them back here.

I've never experienced Notepad crashes on my system, using BD TS 2010.

Cris.

• Cris,

Thanks for your attention to this. It just happened again, and I'm attaching three screenshots of the error dialogue. Parts are in Japanese, but I know you'll be most interested in the technical data.

At the moment the error appeared, Notepad was in the background and I was starting to save a web page to my hard disk from Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3. As far as I can recall, none of that is a constant factor in the several crashes I've seen.

I hope this is useful.

post-14623-1253712003_thumb.png

post-14623-1253712028_thumb.png

post-14623-1253712038_thumb.png

• Since you said that you're running WinXp SP3, I'm assuming it's 32bit, right? (since, as far as I know, XP x64 was never upgraded to SP3)

The only topic presenting access violation errors caused by BitDefender 2010 is this: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=15079 but those problems were only on x64 bit systems and, as far as I understood, they were fixed.

Nevertheless, please try to disable IDS (uncheck BitDefender Security Center -> Firewall -> Advanced settings -> Enable IDS) and also AVC (uncheck BD Security Center -> Antivirus -> Shield -> Advanced settings -> Active virus control is enabled) and see if the problem re-appears.

Post back the result.

Cris.

• Since you said that you're running WinXp SP3, I'm assuming it's 32bit, right? (since, as far as I know, XP x64 was never upgraded to SP3)

Nevertheless, please try to disable IDS (uncheck BitDefender Security Center -> Firewall -> Advanced settings -> Enable IDS) and also AVC (uncheck BD Security Center -> Antivirus -> Shield -> Advanced settings -> Active virus control is enabled) and see if the problem re-appears.

Post back the result.

Cris.

Cris,

That's right, it's 32bit WinXP SP3.

I followed your advice and found that IDS was already unchecked. I don't remember doing anything to it myself.

I did disable Active virus control the day you posted that advice (three days ago), and the problem has not re-appeared although my usage of Notepad has been as usual.

Regards,

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited September 2009
    Options

OK. I will try to talk to someone, to find out if there are any known issues on Windows XP SP3 in Japanese. Thank you for reporting it.

Cris.

• Thanks, Cris.

I'm just following up to confirm that I continue to see no recurrence of the problem with active virus control disabled, although I keep Notepad open constantly.

Thanks.

• dhl
    Options

Hi debitto,

We tried to reproduce your issue in our in-lab environment (XP SP3 in Japanese), but on a clean install notepad worked just fine. So we need some more info about your system. Please access the page http://www.bitdefender.com/KB389 , use the sysdump and FileInfo tools and upload the reports on rapidshare (or anywhere you like) and reply with the upload link.

Thanks,

DHL