Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Udp Port 8881 Virus Or Bd2011?

Options

We are encountering a lot of UDP port 8881 traffic since installing BD 2011. I blogged about it starting last week. Its at bobdavis321.blogspot.com This virus or whatever it is appears to go to the web and download various pictures. Then many web sites attempt to contact the computer by using a UDP on port 8881. The firewall blocks some of them saying that the destination is unreachable. Is this BitDefender or a virus?

I have reformatted and reinstalled Windows on the computer 3 times, it happens again shortly after installing BD. I installed BD on another computer and only got two destination unreachable messages in the firewall log.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I am dealing with a 'frimware' virus?

Comments

• Appears to be BD2011 opens many connections to many locations mostly on port 8881 It just showed up on a second computer that I installed BD2011 on. I will try to upload a picture of the IPCop firewall connections report.

post-38095-1287502698_thumb.jpg

• breadncheese
    edited October 2010
    Options

I had a similar issue and solved it by doing the following:-

Open BitDefender / Update / Settings and ensure the following "tick" boxes are UNTICKED:-

Enable update sharing (P2P)

Upload BitDefender files from this pc

Do this on each computer on the network.

For me this reduced the port activity.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks that works, here is a screen shot on how to disable P2P in Bitdefender 2011

post-38095-1287511149_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello,

I can confirm that indeed the BitDefender P2P update feature is using the UDP port 8881. If you need any further clarification on this matter please do not hesitate to contact us at any time!

Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.