New Install, Scan, Files Deleted.

Hi,

I just installed 2011 and did a scan. I have the "Alert me before taking action" box checked,. However it seems that BD is still deleting files it consider virus without prompting me first. Is there anyway to just make BD move suspected files to quarantine so I can inspect later?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi,

I just installed 2011 and did a scan. I have the "Alert me before taking action" box checked,. However it seems that BD is still deleting files it consider virus without prompting me first. Is there anyway to just make BD move suspected files to quarantine so I can inspect later?

Thanks in advance.

Try this: Click on shield then click on custom. Two line deal with: 1) what to do with infected files 2) what to do with suspected files. Set both to move to Move to Quarantined. Feature worked on 2011, not sure of 2011. If it doesn't BD will control your machine. Have a scheduled scan coming up, will know shortly.

'm still looking for the "Tune Up" tab that is referred to. Cannot find such. Perha0s old stuff in the "help" section.

• Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Move to Quarantine feature does not work.

• Unknown
    edited October 2010

You need to do the above checking in the Scan options not in the Real Time protection (Antivirus options). Right click on the type of scan you wish to run then select Properties. There you will see the options set for both infected and suspicious files found at scan.

I have attached two screenshots for you to better understand my above explanation.

Regards,

post-20064-1288364827_thumb.jpg

post-20064-1288364954_thumb.png

• You need to do the above checking in the Scan options not in the Real Time protection (Antivirus options). Right click on the type of scan you wish to run then select Properties. There you will see the options set for both infected and suspicious files found at scan.

I have attached two screenshots for you to better understand my above explanation.

Regards,

Attached snapshots of what I'm showing. Note: Properties function works for Deep Scan and quick scan. Nothing as far as Full System Scan.

Despite having the settings set as shown in the snapshots, BD deletes automatically infected/suspected files automatically.

Scan - Depicts settings for scan

Scan 1 - Displays what BD Tab Displays. Please not bottom two lines regarding action to be taken by default.

Quick Scan - Self explanatory.

Note: Nothing available for Full System Scan.

Three occasions (2 Quick Scans and 1 Full System Scan) were items automatically deleted. Thank goodness all items were cookies.

• The snapshot is for the Full scan options ?

• You need to do the above checking in the Scan options not in the Real Time protection (Antivirus options). Right click on the type of scan you wish to run then select Properties. There you will see the options set for both infected and suspicious files found at scan.

Regards,

Attached snapshots of what I'm showing. Note: Properties function works for Deep Scan and quick scan. Nothing as far as Full System Scan.

Despite having the settings set as shown in the snapshots, BD deletes automatically infected/suspected files automatically.

Scan - Depicts settings for scan

Scan 1 - Displays what BD Tab Displays. Please not bottom two lines regarding action to be taken by default.

Quick Scan - Self explanatory.

Note: Nothing available for Full System Scan.

Three occasions (2 Quick Scans and 1 Full System Scan) were items automatically deleted. Thank goodness all items were cookies.

post-35768-1288366135_thumb.jpg

post-35768-1288366683_thumb.jpg

post-35768-1288366789_thumb.jpg

• What you mean by Note: Nothing available for Full System Scan. ?

Also you haven't mentioned what type of scan are those Custom Options for ? Deep, Full, Quick ?

• What you mean by Note: Nothing available for Full System Scan. ?

Also you haven't mentioned what type of scan are those Custom Options for ? Deep, Full, Quick ?

Is the second question for me?

If so, the type of scan I did is the initial scan you do after installing BD. I just accessed the scan properties like you've suggested in reply #2, but all of my options are already "move to quarantine". And this is the default settings since I have never access this option before.

• mmdmmd
    edited October 2010

OK here is what I did,

Opened Custom Option for Full sys scan.

settings:

Infected:

First Action: Disinfect

second action: Quarantine

Suspect file:

First Action: Quarantine

Then performed a Full system scan. But files are still getting deleted without my permission. :(

• Cristi Raducu
    edited October 2010

Please post the results of the scan (the entire scan log).

On what type of files are you running the scan and they are deleted?

• If an infected file is detected, BitDefender will automatically attempt to disinfect it. If disinfection fails, the file is moved to quarantine in order to contain the infection.

For particular types of malware, disinfection is not possible because the detected file is entirely malicious. In such cases, the infected file is deleted from the disk.

This is usually the case with installation files that are downloaded from untrustworthy websites. If you find yourself in such a situation, download the installation file from the manufacturer's website or other trusted website.

• If an infected file is detected, BitDefender will automatically attempt to disinfect it. If disinfection fails, the file is moved to quarantine in order to contain the infection.

For particular types of malware, disinfection is not possible because the detected file is entirely malicious. In such cases, the infected file is deleted from the disk.

This is usually the case with installation files that are downloaded from untrustworthy websites. If you find yourself in such a situation, download the installation file from the manufacturer's website or other trusted website.

So does this means if I have "disinfect" as an option, it will cause BD to delete the file even if there are no second action selected? I've first encountered this problem with a fresh installation of Windows 7(system has 2 hard drives) and BD. When the BD offered me an option to scan after installation, it just said 18 files infected and was deleted. And just to clarify, these 18 files are indeed viruses. I have them on system for testing purpose.

I would like to know what really happened in the first scan that caused the deletion. Was BD set to delete as default?

• Unknown
    edited November 2010

No,

BitDefender is not set by default to delete files. Allow me to explain my previous post. Imagine you have a bad apple. Only a small part of the apple is bad so you can cut it off and eat the rest of the apple. However, if the entire apple is bad then you need to throw it away. The same thing happen when BitDefender find an infected files: there are files that can be cleaned by reconstructing the file and there are files damaged by viruses that can't be used anymore so BitDefender deletes them.

• For particular types of malware, disinfection is not possible because the detected file is entirely malicious. In such cases, the infected file is deleted from the disk.

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that if I have "disinfect" as an option, BD will always delete the file if disinfection failed? Even if I had selected a second action?

This discussion has been closed.