Might my home netowork have a virus in it?

I downloaded bitdefender like 2 weeks ago or so cause i didn't trust windows antivirus even when it said it detected malware on my pc after getting rid of the virus then changing ssd and reinstalling widnows twice alongside with bitdefender again it said my device was clean but now when i try playing online games they lag all the time although when I do a wifi speed test it comes out fine plus I tried making sure all of my pc components were in place and even got a new wifi adapter and nothing changes should I contact my service provider about this concern? Also bitdefender says that it has blocked threat and exploit attempts from my own ip address

Answers

• Hello @Nova5381,

Bitdefender can sometimes interfere with online games due to its real-time protection and firewall settings. Try temporarily disabling these features while playing games to see if performance improves. Be cautious when doing this and re-enable them after testing. You can temporarily disable the security modules in Bitdefender by following the steps described in this article:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28557/

You can check how the online game performs after turning OFF the Firewall and Advanced Threat Defense, as these are most likely to interfere. When gaming it is also recommended to enable the Game Profile, as this enhances visual effects and eliminates interruptions when playing games. Here's a guideline on how to configure this:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2066/

Also, make sure your game settings are optimized for your hardware. Sometimes, lowering in-game settings can significantly improve performance without a noticeable drop in visual quality.

Contacting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can be a good idea, especially if you notice the lag at specific times of the day, which might indicate network congestion.
    If Bitdefender is blocking attempts from your own IP address, it might indicate a misconfiguration or false positive. Check the Firewall settings in Bitdefender. You can whitelist your IP address or identify what is being blocked.

If after trying these steps the issue persists, it might be worthwhile to contact your ISP to see if there are any known issues or additional troubleshooting they can provide. Additionally, you might want to reach out to Bitdefender support for more specific advice on configuring the software for optimal gaming performance.
    Should you require to reach out to the Support teams, head to the link below to choose from the available contact channels:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

I hope the information is helpful and please do let us know what worked for you.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user