Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• Looks like they should be looking for a new job

• I had I'm guessing 2000 files get quarantined.

I can't restore them either, when I click restore, it says a file with the same name already exists, if I press apply to all to replace it and click okay, another box pops up saying it couldn't find the path, to review the operation and try again, the path it shows is System32.

Any ideas?

• Okay, but what about your windows 'seems' to be still working, but you can't launch BitDefender, and therefore grab the fix ?

Hi there,

I cant answer because I dont know what files Bitdefender has swallowed up (quarantined or already deleted) before it swallowed itself up and stopped working for you. I would suggest looking in your programData folder and seeing what and how many files are in your Quarantine folder there. I would suggest to you now that on reboot - you'd be up the creek without a paddle if it has indeed swallowed up important booting files. (important to boot may not effect currently running - so it could be bad on reboot only and NOT show you any probs right now)

If all your programs are fully working and you are not receiving ANY errors when trying to open things - Personally - I would download the weekly.exe update file and then try a "repair or uninstall" from your program files options under Bitdefender and then immediately install the weekly.exe.

This however MAY REQUIRE safe mode to do these things and yes, you think correctly - that REQUIRES a reboot anyway! so its a crap shoot my friend! Back up what you can, try it in safe mode and be prepared to do a repair install.

Good luck my friend - I feel for you!

• I just wanna ask what strain of weed they were smoking when they did the update...

LMAO :)) OMFG What the ###### r u on? what kind of crack is that ?

I LOVE YOU LMAO

• Due to a recent update it is possible that BitDefender detects several Windows and BitDefender files as infected with Trojan.FakeAlert.5 .

In order to solve this issue you will have to perform these steps:

- open the BitDefender interface in Expert Mode

- go to the Antivirus tab and disable the Realtime Protection permanently.

- go to the Quarantine tab and restore all items that are detected as Trojan.FakeAlert.5.

-----Hows about a little help when you can't perform step 3? Now what?

Hello Daktari,

For this situation you need to repair BitDefender.

Go to Start->All Programs ->BitDefender 2010-> Repair or Remove.

During this process the quarantined files won't be removed.

Cristi.

• Hmm, I just tried that, but when I hit "Cancel", it dropped me back in the quarantine list with all of the same files there. I double-checked, just trying to restore one file, and found that it remained in the list. So it looks like the "Cancel" button (understandably) cancels the restore process. So it looks like the suggested fix doesn't work, at least for me.

The fix did work for you: It's normal to see these duplicate file entries in the list after you cancel. The files listed should have been properly restored already, by Windows or BD quarantine restore. You can either delete these entries (I haven't checked how), or leave them be, they should be automatically deleted after 30 days.

I think.

^-^

Thanks! I hope you're right :-) I guess it's just best to check that a few of them are actually there in the place where they're meant to be, then reboot...

• The funniest part is the ad banner above: Tren Micro Antivirus ;)

• How on earth can I do all the fixes in the trial version? the menus aren't the same!!

Ouch, the trial version seems to have only the "Novice" User Interface mode.

What's the good of a trial version if it's different from the licensed one (and if it lets you "try" the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 bug), it is usually different by its trial period.

Press BD for a command line solution, several other users with licensed versions but no Windows UI or no bootable/repairable Windows need such a command line or bootable CD/USB stick solution.

• Update Post from the Bitdefender Team on their Knowledge Base. Only new information, besides the apology, is the official statement that a patch is coming. Like I said earlier, though, patches don't pop out of the sky or grow on trees. They have to be written/coded and they have to be tested to make sure they do what they're written to do without doing anything negative in the process (unlike this update that brought us all here in the first place.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the patch didn't come out until tomorrow or even Monday just from how long it would take them to create said patch. Meanwhile, tech sites from all across the web are reporting the story all over the world and their reputation is sinking down the toilet & the best fixes for the issue are coming from us, the users that know how to restore a computer from such a situation WITHOUT sacrificing our files from the quarantine in the process (if quarantine can't be restored.)

• juvesteve
    edited March 2010

So what other AV software is everyone going for now??

I'm thinking of free edition for the time-being

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

The update was released so that no other computers be affected. However, for the users that have been affected, we will release a patch shortly that will solve the issue.

• So what other AV software is everyone going for now??

I'm thinking of AVG's free edition for the time-being

Still I think i'll stick with Bitdefender... ,,, I doubt they are gonna do this again but not sure if the others might not have false positive once I install the new choice of Antivirus :D

• For those who have restored to a previous config, and have installed the update... is it safe to empty the quarantine??

• I've got 38,000 infected files in the quarantine tab that won't restore - what do I do next?

I haven't updated yet, realtime protection is switched off.

• LMAO :)) OMFG What the ###### r u on? what kind of crack is that ?

I LOVE YOU LMAO

I just want the name of it lol

• I've got 38,000 infected files in the quarantine tab that won't restore - what do I do next?

I haven't updated yet, realtime protection is switched off.

I would assume wait for the patch that should restore them for you.

• Also loved that comment. im using a ubuntu live cd which is gathering my files. luckily i have this linux kernal option. its just an iso i boot from. whallah. i have my files again.

not looking forward to a refreshed windows 7... took me months to get it the way i like it.

BASTARDS!

Somebody post what lawsuit options we have? so i dont feel like ive wasted 3 months setting a pc up the way i exactly like it, registry edits to make it more friendly for me and such...

I want cake... Cake in the form of the red ball logo.

Good one .... I too laughed at the first reply but now I want cake ... our systems are messed up anyways and can you really trust your machine even if it "seems" to be working. .... so let's eat cake, check that we have backed up what we need and start the painful restore process. One thing I thought I would never say is MS certainly has come a long way with Windows 7 with its self repair utilities. Even BD didn't manage to totaly kill my machine. In the past I would breath and get blue screen of death or at least have to load a new OS.

• Noob question...

Is it safe to turn on real-time protection after restoring my comp to a previous config and installing the update?

• I am from Slovenia. And for all who don't know where that is - that's how far this BD sh*t came.

I don't care how you'll fix it. I don't care what the f*ck you all are doing to fix it and where or when you will let us know you fixed it or even if you ever will fix this (you won't, by the way). And words like "don't worry" are not as helpful as you think they are, so just stop.

This is the most stupid, stupid, stupid, IRRESPONSIBLE thing that could ever happen! I don't even know what to say, because I am shocked that you actually did this!

I hope that after this you will no longer exist. Just declare bankrupt or something.

• I've been reading this thread for the past few hours. I was lucky enough to work on my PC when it started screaming about this new "Trojan", and I was able to stop the real-time scanning before it did any real damage. Only two dll's were quarantined and Windows restored them by itself.

For the not-so-lucky ones, panicing is now the best choice right now. Your files are NOT lost, even if you can't boot your system. The worst choice would be to reformat your entire system, as you would lose your files this way. Please be patient until BD resease a patch. If they don't, you should call an expert to reinstall your system, AFTER they back-up your files from the affected computer (unless you are skilled enough to do it yourselves).

I've been using BitDefender for five-six years now and never had a problem such as this. Yes, it is a MAJOR screw-up, but I for one won't stop using it. It saved me severeal times from infections that other antiviruses (such as NOD32 or AVG) didn't even detect.

P.S.: Before you throw any rocks at me, I'm not working for BitDefender nor have any interests or relationships with any of their staff. However, I've been around computers for about 15 years, as a programmer, done my share of reinstalls and fixes on my own computer or on friends computers, so try to listen to what I said. I know it is hard, but the best choice right now if you're now skilled with computers is to DO NOTHING. DON'T REFORMAT YOUR DRIVE, DON'T TRY TO FIX THE SYSTEM ANY OTHER WAY, BUT WAIT FOR THE PATCH.

• Phrea
    edited March 2010
    Vista 64 / BD TS 2010.

Don't know the precise version of my BD TS, because, obviously, it isn't working at this point.

Update:

Vista 64bits and up to date

BD TS 2010 version 13.0.19

Engine version 7.30848

[luckily for me, I solved my problem, and it's up and running again]

Devvers: remember, check your work twice !

• At last, Trojan.FakeAlert.5 is mentioned in the Press Center section of http://www.bitdefender.com/:

Trojan.FakeAlert.5 Update issue

We apologize for the issues that you are experiencing on behalf of the BitDefender update released today for Windows 64-bit systems.

The faulty update has been removed and we are quickly working on a fix for the issues experienced by the users that downloaded this update.Here is some background information on this problem:

Today (morning PST) we had an update for 64-bit systems (available on our servers between 8 AM and 11 30 AM PST) that caused multiple Windows and BitDefender files to be quarantined. We are creating a patch that will restore all quarantined files. The patch will be available shortly. We apologize for this error and we will work to prevent this from occurring again in the future.

• There we go for me.

around 7 hours fixing this complete **** up from bit defender.

Ive lost files. because you guys quarentined a file which then corrupted my Boot.ini and then ultimatly, ###### up my entire boot up and therefore. corrupted a annual report for my company. are you going to compensate. dear god, i hope so.

Please. Assist us.

I wont be using BD again for this lack of care.

We are sorry for this situation and we are doing our best to fix it.

In your case a Startup Repair is necessary to restore the Boot.ini file.

For this you need to use your Windows disc.Full instructions are available at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ns-in-Windows-7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Cristi

• Listen people - I know there are a lot of newbies on here and they are lost as to how to "fix" this. There are some things you need to realise NOW!

I have now sorted mine! Im a very experienced user and virtually the same second I seen this "alert", I switched off my anitvirus, Restored 5 files that it quarantined and waited for the update - I WAS LUCKY. Just experience I guess.

If YOU weren't as lucky and bitdefender is no longer working for you, no longer accessible or otherwise out of your reach - you need to realise something.......

BITDEFENDER PEOPLE CANNOT FIX YOUR WINDOWS!!!!!

The people at Bitdefender ARE NOT capable (or in ANY position) to fix your windows installation! You need to realise this now! There WILL NOT be a fix FROM Bitdefender for your windows installation. THEY CAN ONLY CORRECT THEIR INITIAL MISTAKE on their OWN program. They have admitted this already by posting their "solution"

You have to either restore your windows by using a restore point.

Re-install Windows from a back up (if you are lucky enough to have MADE YOUR OWN backup using your own backup software)

repair windows by running the repair console on boot up (by booting from your windows install disc)

Get someone who "knows how" to come round and do it for you etc.

Listen people - these are solutions to ANY messed up windows system. Their solution is the solution to ANY MAJOR problem that windows comes up against. They have seriously messed up here and there will be no FIX, No PATCH or anything else FROM Bitdefender to "fix" your now FUNKED windows installation.

You need to start looking into re-installing/repairing windows in the usual ways you have to whenever windows is this messed up.

You might have to get someone to help you with this (this WONT be bitdefender)

You then need to get back up running, get yourself another AV program and then start to focus your anger on these complete ******!

Refunds? Compensation? I dunno - I can see that everyone has there own story. My own girlfriend rebooted mid ###### and is currently re-installing windows. No restore point for her either *sigh* - GONE!

Anyway - LEAVE here!! You are wasting energy and time! Bitdefender CANNOT help your now funked windows installation. Go research if you need to, repair your windows and then come back here and give these ****** ######!

Im only posting this coz I see so many on here now hopelessly waiting for bitdefender to make everything all right again - It's NOT coming people. Go try sort yourselves out!

Good Luck to all!

Bitdefender is finished as a company now! They deserve nothing less.

So right. Bitdefender can only fix their program, they can't fix Windows. And each PC with the problem will have to be visted by a tech for the non-tech users out there. Even a restore from a restore point is WAY to complicated for many PC users.

I just read a post from a someone at a small computer consulting company that tends PCs at small businesses. He has about 150 PCs at several clients that are running 64bit Windows and Bitdefender. He's gonna be a busy guy. And there will be lots of very angry people when they show up to work Monday morning and find their PCs toast.

Most large corporations run business or corporate versions of AV and deploy updates only after testing them. It'll be felt in many small businesses that generally install consumer Virus Scan and set it to update automatically.

• Hello Daktari,

Cristi.

I repaired my Bitdefender, I don't know if I did something wrong but my quarantined files were deleted during the process. Fortunately, I had kept a copy of the Quarantine folder.

After the repair, my computer rebooted, then I disconnected my network cable, applied the weekly.exe update file, rebooted again.

I put back my copy of the Quarantine folder in ProgramData\Bitdefender\Desktop then rebooted.

After all these steps, I was able to open the quarantine tab in the Bitdefender gui and restore my files (~700 files).

For the moment, I disabled the real time protection, my computer seems to work. It may not work for everyone, HTH.

• I have W7 Home, 64 bit, and current engine version 7.30843 (which some people mention not being the latest one, however I can't update it any higher manually or auto).

When it first appeared, I did a scan and when it hit 6K infected files I shut down my laptop. Luckily, I had the Window System Recovery which sort of fix it (?). My firefox is all crazy now, can't download nor save images and my adobe flash is not working. I have to uninstall to see if I can get it to work again, but that's not the point. Someone mention the correction engine version is xxx56 instead of xxx43 so I tried to update it, which failed on both auto and manually. Follow a member advice and repair BD, but all my quarantine's files disappear don't know if that's good or bad. Still stuck on engine 43 and don't know if that is the correct one. Hope someone can clear it up. Thanks.

• flandrei

@juvesteve - if there are no personal files in the quarantine you can empty it. And, if you have the latest update, you should turn on the Realtime Protection.

@WhiteRabbit Creative - is the update module still working? If not, keep the RTP disabled, go to the Quarantine tab and try to restore the livesrv.exe process. Go to Start->Run, type regedit and hit Enter. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and delete this entry. Attention -> Do not delete any other key than this one. Then, reboot and try to update

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited March 2010
    Can you tell us if you have a clean engine yet and give us the version #.

Virus signatures: 5474032

Engine version: 7.30848

This is the last update I received about 5 hours ago. Since then, this detection was not triggered anymore on my system. So YES, the engines are OK.

However, the engine version is lower than some users might have. This is because the problematic update was reverted to an older version (which was pushed on the update servers). So, basically, users which can't make the update (and still experience the detection problems) will have a higher engine version. Users which got the reverted update (which doesn't include the faulty detection) will have a lower engine version.

Cris.

• So what caused this issue anyway? Just bad code or something on that line? I've been happy with this product for years and it has its occasional buggy update, but never one as serious as this one. I'll still continue to use this product, but I really hope this kind of thing doesn't happen ever again.

• hey, when i go to the quarantine tab there is nothing there!!!!

AND I KNOW that my files were quarantined!!!!!!

Where are they located on my desktop???????

are they in a folder or are they specifically associated with the software!!!!!

I can't open certain things, including iTunes, and it is botherring me big time!!!!!!

Will someone please help me!!!!!

Oh and I have restored my computer.

• @Florin Andrie .... Thanks :)

• Time2End
    edited March 2010

I am very angry. My two desktop and laptop all running Windows 7 x64 need to do repair. I did a F8 > Repair my computer > System Restore

I just register just now to complain.

• there is nothing in my quarantine folder!!!!!!!!!1

PLEASE help me!!!!!!

where are they located on my desktop!!

I need those files that were quarantined!!!

• flandrei

@ Mike B. - > This kind of event provides a great insight on what not to, so I'm pretty sure that something like this will not happen again.

• where do we find the link for the update that is supposed to restore our files?

• So what caused this issue anyway? Just bad code or something on that line? I've been happy with this product for years and it has its occasional buggy update, but never one as serious as this one. I'll still continue to use this product, but I really hope this kind of thing doesn't happen ever again.

The situation was caused due to one of our updates that identified clean Windows files as infected on x64 bit operating systems.

A few hours ago an update was released to fix this situation and the clean files are no longer detected.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Cristi.

• Negura
    edited March 2010

And...another one bites the dust, and that one is me and my gfriend, both of us not proud at all owners of Bitdefender Internet Security 2010. But very proud owners (and i mean it) of windows 7 x64.

Just today my AV starts going berzerk, trojan fake alert this, trojan fake alert that. WTF, i was thinking, how, when, who...did i download somthing from somewhere ? i did'n have a virus on my PC since CIH...maybe my stick was infected from work or....but, well, no problem, i'll JUST SCAN MY ENTIRE HDD, and clean up the mess, and in the mean time i'll eat something, watch tv, u know...Bad f... mistake, 15 min later i was looking mesmerized as my whole Windows 7 x64 was slowly sucked into quarantine, bit by bit... lol.

Me: "Hun, please try and take a look at "network and sharing center"...

Hun: "Well, hun, my Bitdefender saiz that i have 10 trojans...."

Me: "Oh ######...wth....maybe someone's atacking bitdefender's site, couse i see that the site is not working too..." and so on and on...oh, sweet naivity...

And than, u know, try to restore the files from the quarantine, didn't work (could not find the path), than try and restart, didn't work, my windows keeps on trying to repair and all, blah, blah.

Well, to cut the story short....i've reinstall my windows, as for my full-of-very-important-work'-gfriend-laptop, the fix was a system restore, as nothing else worked. 5 hours spent for nothing.

Right now, i'm using another AV (trial), and it's working just fine. No more memory spikes. No more CPU spikes. No more slowing downs. So i'm gonna buy me a full one.

One more thing to say here: i used to love Bitdefender 2010. Well, not any more, this is a HUGE f..ed up, and btw, the support stuff respond was crappy.

• what is a "TrayApp" I started up again and it wanted to install this. It says its not available. So clicked ok and now its searching and it isn't working. TrayApp.msi

• Demoblaster
    edited March 2010
    Virus signatures: 5474032

Engine version: 7.30848

This is the last update I received about 5 hours ago. Since then, this detection was not triggered anymore on my system. So YES, the engines are OK.

However, the engine version is lower than some users might have. This is because the problematic update was reverted to an older version (which was pushed on the update servers). So, basically, users which can't make the update (and still experience the detection problems) will have a higher engine version. Users which got the reverted update (which doesn't include the faulty detection) will have a lower engine version.

Cris.

Thank you very much for that explanation. I was wondering about that because my laptop which uses Windows XP is using the higher version and the affected desktop is still on the lower version and, for the life of me, I didn't understand why it wouldn't update. It would just say that an error occured during the update. I guess I'll stick with the roll back version for now. I've just finished restoring all the files quarantined that would allow me to restore. The rest stated that they were already in the folders and couldn't overwrite them so I think I'm good for now.

Exactly what caused this in the first place? Is the source of this issue being investigated yet because a lot of companies are starting to ask the bigger questions though I am glad that you guys have finally stepped up your focus on helping people here in the forum just like the person that's on the twitter feed has been.

EDit: Saw the response to Mike. Thanks.

• I have to agree, this did mess up my installation because BD quarantined system files rendering my system in its the most unstable state ever. Luckily, Startup Repair was able to repair the Windows installation and bring my system back into a bootable state. But since the damage had already been done, half my applications would not run because the necessary files were missing. A system restore fixed that and now everything is back into place.

Windows Recovery Discs for Windows Vista & Windows 7 are available for free & legally at NeoSmart through the BitTorrent protocol.

• The update was released so that no other computers be affected. However, for the users that have been affected, we will release a patch shortly that will solve the issue.

Shortly??? How soon??? This is an urgent matter, BD !! The problem has been going on for hours now! Wake up the entire staff at BD and put even your CEO to work on this!! People´s work and important files are in jeopardy!

You should release a full, comprehensive document that contains at least the following information:

1. An explanation of what really happened and when.

2. If the troja.fakealert.5 is really a virus or not

3. What should not be done

4. What should be done once you have the problem (this should be addressed in different ways, in order to comply with all levels of damage done)

5. What is the correct amount of virus definitions one should have once everything is corrected, as well as the correct, final engine version

6. Create a special downloadable update (apart from the regular update), as well as the patch to fix this.

7. Your website homepage should have a big banner warning about this. I am sure there are still lots of users who have not opened their laptops or desktops yet, and are unaware of this.

8. You should be emailing all your users about this and the measures you are taking.

Please consider that phrases such as: "the update is there now", "a patch will be released shortly", etc. are so vague that they do not help in any way. We are in despair, specially the non-techie regular guys.

Inform, please!!! An treat this as a REAL emergency!!! Sound the bells!!! Wake the whole town!!! PLEASE

• Everything is working fine for me now but I must say, as we do in Australia....

"NOT HAPPY JAN!!!"

• Hello Daktari,

Cristi.

Start> All programs> Bitdefender 2010> = "Cant start because bdutils.dll is missing from your computer" ....OR.... "the item seccenter.exe has been changed or moved", do you want to delete shortcut? It has quarantined itself most likely.

So does a person uninstall and reinstall, or does that toss away the quarantined files?

The quarantined files should still be on the PC as I see it. ... We need that patch to get the quarantined BD files, and put them back where they belong.... I'm not buying that a clean install is the ticket here, and if it is.... .... I can't even go there.

• For the not-so-lucky ones, panicing is now the best choice right now. Your files are NOT lost, even if you can't boot your system. The worst choice would be to reformat your entire system, as you would lose your files this way. Please be patient until BD resease a patch. If they don't, you should call an expert to reinstall your system, AFTER they back-up your files from the affected computer (unless you are skilled enough to do it yourselves).

I got an expert in and now I am seeking compensation. Again how do I claim for it? Do I need to make a small claim at my local court or does BitDefender actually have a section for claims?

It seems since news articles are popping up on the matter BitDefender are now replying. What about the dark period when people's computers were dying?!

• Mandraek
    edited March 2010

I had to reinstall BD, but backed up the installation, does anybody know where the quarantined files are kept?

I fear they are inaccessible as otherwise they would reinfect the system once BD had been uninstalled.... hey ho

thanks

• WHERE IS THE UPDATE FIX ANY LINK we spen hours and hours on screen ... i cant see anythink ...

• I'm not sure what they update is going to fix other than removing the false detections and making it so you can un-quarantine files.

Are you guys working on a "fix Windows" update as well because only the tech savvie are going to survive this mess.

• Noob question...

Is it safe to turn on real-time protection after restoring my comp to a previous config and installing the update?

Hello juvesteve,

As long as BitDefender is up to date,you don't need to worry.

Cristi.

• I've been one of the very fortunate ones to manage to get out of all this without serious issues.

Some of my control panel programs were quarantined and I managed to restore them BUT the large icons are now missing.

Rebuilding the icon cash didn't do anything - is there a way I can get them back?

iconso.jpg

• Jorge Medina, as I stated way earlier in my thread, malwarebytes came up clean. There was NO infection.

Malwarebytes is one of the top scanners out right now for malware etc.