Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved]Bdf Total Security 2011& Ids Settings

Options

I am trying to learn so much I can about my total security 2011. I could find this setting called IDS. It was under antivirus/advanced settings. Intrusion Detection System is made for detecting "new zero day malware" and blocking it from infecting my system. Why is this off by default? Is it considered to be surplus to the requirements? If not, why is it not turned on as it would be extra good for the protection of my computer?

What is the better option for IDS when turning it on? Permissive og medium? I understand that if I turn it to aggressive then I could be some false positives and more alerts. But permissive and medium. What would be the best choice?

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Samen,

IDS is part of the Behavioral Scanner included in BitDefender products. However, since this module is not based on definitions, but relies solely on application behavior, it might shows alerts for clean applications. And those alerts might be confusing especially for novice users, which is why it is disabled by default (AVC, the other behavioral component, it's enabled).

You can enable it and test each level of security. It's true that the higher the level, the higher the risk of alerts for clean applications. But I have it on Critical for 2 days and I had no alerts. If you do notice too many alerts, you can lower the level at any time.

Cris.

• Samen
    Options
    Hello Samen,

IDS is part of the Behavioral Scanner included in BitDefender products. However, since this module is not based on definitions, but relies solely on application behavior, it might shows alerts for clean applications. And those alerts might be confusing especially for novice users, which is why it is disabled by default (AVC, the other behavioral component, it's enabled).

You can enable it and test each level of security. It's true that the higher the level, the higher the risk of alerts for clean applications. But I have it on Critical for 2 days and I had no alerts. If you do notice too many alerts, you can lower the level at any time.

Cris.

Thank you Chris! I do understand how it works, but I did not understand why it was not activated by default. I think it should since it is a massive boost to the overall security nowadays with all this strange viruses, trojan etc which is created every second we speak. I agree that for novice users it is like understanding the meaning of live. But I still belive that bitdefender would benefit from having this on by default if there was a way to ensure that it did not have an impact on a normal day use of the computer. But that is maybe something that will come in the future.

Thank you for your answer and have a nice day :D

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Samen keep in mind that having both AVC and IDS enabled will have your computer at a very high security level. Many of the safe legit applications may trigger a pop-up asking you if you wish to allow/block it. For most users this may become frustrating that's why the IDS it is by default disabled.

Thank you for the feedback, I will pass it to the respectful department to be taken care of.

Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.