Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdav 2011 Slow Startup

Options

I recently upgraded to bdav2011 from bdav2008. First 2 days my pc started fine but today after desktop appeared, bdav froze on 'bitdefender services are loading...please wait'. After 15 minutes I was able to use pc. During that time I could not start any apps or do anything. Bitdefender still gives same message and never shows 'Protected...'. XP 64bit SP2, 4GB mem, quad core cpu.

Hope someone can help.

IanA

If this post appears twice, my apologies.

Comments

• Hi IanA,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. First please unplug the internet cable from your computer or disable your Wireless Adapter, if you are connected to a wireless network.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select "Run as Administrator"

5. Check the box to "Agree and allow BitDefender to gather related information from your computer" and click on the Next button

6. In the next window enter your email address, select the problem type and enter a description of the issue you encounter

7. Check the box next to "Try to reproduce the problem before submitting" and hit the Next button

8. Choose the issue type and again hit Next

9. When asking to enable additional logging (a pop-up message will appear when you click on the Next button at step 8) please save all open Documents and hit the Yes button to restart the PC

10. After the restart, a new window will pop-up where you will be asked to reproduce the issue you encounter. If you have already done that please check the box next to "I have reproduced the issue" and hit the Next button

11. Wait for the tool to generate the logs then click on Finish. You will be asked to restart the PC again to disable the logging options of BitDefender.

12. After restart look on your Desktop for the created SupportTool file. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

13. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

14. Send us in reply to this email the file created.

15. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

[How to capture a screenshot]

- When the error message is on your screen press the "PrintScreen" key on your keyboard ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right; At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

- Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation from Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint);

- Paste the picture in a new Paint document (using Edit > Paste);

- Save the file in JPEG format (as BMP format is too big to send by e-mail) and attach it to the reply to this email.

We will analyze the information you sent and then reply with a possible solution in the shortest time.

• Hi Daniel

Thank u for your response.

This problem only occurs when I am connected to internet at startup.

I have attached support file.

• ianaston
    edited September 2010
    Options

Not sure if I uploaded file correctly so I will upload again.

• Daniel

14. Send us in reply to this EMAIL the file created.

I have not received an email from you. Did you mean '...reply to this POST..."

I have uploaded the files you wanted by replying to your post. Did you receive my upload?

IanA

• UPDATE

My problem only occurs when I am connected to network. If I disconnect network cable from PC or disable Local Area Connection in control panel, I do not have any problems. If I only disconnect modem cable from router I still have problem. Seems to be a slow network at startup perhaps?

IanA

• Similar symptoms. With BD 2010 time from login to toolbar present and taskbar apps starting ~20 seconds.

With BD 2011 with wireless enabled somewhere between 14 and 90 minutes (left it to it after 14 minutes, was up when I came back)

With BD 2011 and wireless disabled, about the same as BD 2010.

System dump after slow boot with wireless enabled is currently being produced.

• Okay, I was requested to report my problem and follow IanA's suggestion of disabling my Network connection/unplug the cable to see if it helps speed up Windows login.

I'll also follow DanyDan's steps and send an email of the report.

My system runs Windows Xp 32 with 2gb RAM.

Hope there's a solution to this problem.

• Daniel,

I have created the report file. Where do I send it?

Also, I unplugged the network cable and tried disabling network connections but experienced Windows login slowdown both times.

So, the issue might have a different cause in my case.

• To clarify I needed to disable my wireless adaptor and my Sonicwall Virtual Adaptor to allow the system to reboot quickly. Could then renable both and work normally. The Sonicwall virtual adaptor is part of my VPN client.

During this afternoon this has been a reliable workaround but....

There was a BitDefender update sometime in the last hour or so that requested a reboot. Since then the workaround has not worked.

The login is slower in that now I do not get my desktop background displayed either, the login prompt just disappears.

Have not waited for an hour, will do so now. In order to get back in had to resort to msconfig in safe mode and disable BD services and startups.

:-(

• 15 minutes after login:- Still loading personal settings.

30 minutes after login:- System appears up.

Could then enable wireless and VPN adaptor.

• I have sent my log files to support. I am waiting on a response from them. I will post any solution here if they find one.

• Hello,

IanA: please check your email associated with the ticket ID 201009051002913. Your Windows version is not on the list of compatible OS for the installation of BitDefender therefore you may encounter some issues with BitDefender.

TheMouse: What Operating System are you using ? What BitDefender product ? What workaround are you referring to ? Please provide me with more details !

Rustom: You can upload the file HERE then send me a PM with the download link. If you already have a ticket created with us please include the ticket ID along with the topic link.

Kind regards,

• TheMouse: What Operating System are you using ? What BitDefender product ? What workaround are you referring to ? Please provide me with more details !

Sorry, I started on another thread.

BD2011 Total Security, on WinXP Pro + SP3 + updates. The workaround is mentioned earlier in this thread, if I disabled the wireless adaptor and VPN adaptor before any restart, system was logging in quickly. I could then enable wireless & vpn adaptors & use the system normally.

Without disabling adaptors on logging in after a restart it would take ~30 minutes for windows to be available with BD2011.

Now behaviour has changed in that disabling the adaptors appears to have no effect, I simply have to take the hit of the increased login time.

Some further info just in case it is of any use, it doesn't matter whether I use wireless or straight ethernet connection, secondly the delay is not actually due to something starting at login, if I start the machine, walk way for 30 minutes then login it is back to ~20 seconds.

• Rustom: You can upload the file HERE then send me a PM with the download link. If you already have a ticket created with us please include the ticket ID along with the topic link.

I sent you a PM with the link. Thank you! Will await reply.

• Hi TheMouse,

Please follow the steps below and send us the result:

a) Please go to this page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

and download the autoruns file.

B) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want) and then upload it HERE

f) send me a PM with the download link.

Regards,

• Hello Rustom,

The reason for the slowdown at Windows login is because you have multiple security solutions installed and running at start-up.

Please uninstall:

- Windows Live Family Safety

- Ad-Aware SE Personal

Restart the PC after each uninstall. When both processes are complete reinstall BitDefender by following the instructions received in your email.

Kind regards,

• OK

I have got bd2011 working.

First I found that disconnecting the lan cable made it work.

Next I installed an old lan card I had lying around and used it for connection. It worked.

I have 3 hard drives on my pc.

Drive 1 had xp64

Drive 2 had xp32

Drive 3 had win7 x64

Next I removed all drives except drive 2 and did a bare install xp64 on it. Installed bd2011 and it worked.

I then reconnected all my drives and the bare install did NOT work.

I booted back into drive1 and deleted the primary partition on drive 2. Rebooted into drive 1 and it did not work.

I then deleted all partitions on drive 2 and everything works including win7.

I will leave it like this for a couple of days to see it any issues return.

I don't know what removing partitions on the HD has to do with my LAN connection!!

I wonder if there is an issue with having two xp installations.

All these installations were done independently so there is not multi-boot.

Later I will reinstall onto drive 2 and see if bd2011 stops working.

Interestingly bd2010 worked fine.

IanA

• Hmm, I have a 2nd XP installation also.

• OK, I have wiped the 2nd XP installation, but I still get a delay between login and windows actually available, which does not happen with BD2010.

If I disable the wireless adaptor before shutdown then it is probable but not guaranteed that the system will start normally, it seems to be about 80% of attempts are OK.

So provided I remember to always disable the wireless I only have to wait 30 minutes 1 time in 5 restarts :-)

• TheMouse

I repartitioned drive2 from xp disk management and problem returned. I then deleted partitions again and installed win7 on drive. My pc now boot_s up normally for both xp and win7. Maybe it is xp partitions that are the problem.

Do you have your xp installs on seperate physical drives, if so you must delete all partitions on 2nd drive. Try repartitioning with win7 or perhaps other partitioning software.

• Hi,

@TheMouse: try to rename seccenter.exe in Windows Safe Mode then restart the PC with the Wireless adapter enabled. Let me know if the issue still persist.

You can find Seccenter.exe file into BitDefender folder:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

If you wish to restart the PC to test several times please do the following:

1. Set the Update into BitDefender to Prompt before downloading updates under Updates Settings in BitDefender Security Center in Expert View.

2. Restart the PC in Safe Mode

3. Rename the seccenter file

4. Restart the PC again.

5. Test to see if the issue still occurs.

Regards,

• OK, renamed seccenter.exe, restarted with wireless enabled, repeated test 4 times. In each case I ended up resetting the machine as it was not starting up after a couple of minutes, compared to 20-30 seconds with wireless disabled.

Therefore disabling seccenter in this way does not appear to have affected the issue.

FYI I tried disabling both BD update services, leaving the virus scan service. That didn't improve the login time either.

• Hello TheMouse,

Please check your ursine email for instructions on how to further investigate this matter.

Thank you!

Regards,

• OK, have replied via email noting location of dmp file.

• I have noticed one thing. I use MySQL in product development, if the MySQL instance is shutdown then the machine login to windows available time _with wireless enabled_ is around 3~4 minutes. Poor compared to the normal 20~30 seconds but a significant improvement on +30 minutes. I need to look somemore but probably will not have time until the weekend.

• Are you referring to the MySQL server ? Please define 'MySQL instance'. Check the start-up entry and disable the MySQL server from start-up and see if the issue still occurs.

• Hello Rustom,

The reason for the slowdown at Windows login is because you have multiple security solutions installed and running at start-up.

Please uninstall:

- Windows Live Family Safety

- Ad-Aware SE Personal

Restart the PC after each uninstall. When both processes are complete reinstall BitDefender by following the instructions received in your email.

Kind regards,

I'm afraid there's bad news, Daniel. I uninstalled both those applications and followed the steps sent to my e-mail to unistall and then re-install BitDefender Total Security 2011.

My ticket # Ticket ID:201009121006085

The issue still exists and while it took only a couple of minutes to login Windows after uninstalling Bitdefender and then logging in Safe mode was quick as well, the issue has returned after re-install.

It took me 25 minutes just to get past the login screen.

What is this problem? :wacko:

I hope there's some solution to this.

Best,

Rustom

• Re: post #26. Yes, with the MySQL service set to manual the system restarts with the service stopped, the MySQL System Tray monitor then shows 'MySQL stopped' with an option to 'Start Instance' i.e. start the service.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the quicker startup now :(

Wireless was definitely enabled, MySQL was definitely stopped and the system did reboot 4 consecutive times with login to windows available time around 3~4 minutes.

Since then however the only system change that has a positive effect is disabling wireless before shutdown, then when rebooting next login and enable wireless once the system is up. Basically back where I started.

I suppose it could simply be some weird timing issue i.e. not directly related to any other service/application.

For info this is a quad core 2.66GHz machine, 3.5G ram usable. I would compare with my other machine but currently cannot get that working at all with BD2011 :(

• Hi,

@Rustom: please check your email.

@TheMouse: perform a clean boot as explained below and let me know the results:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

currently cannot get that working at all with BD2011

Any details? Can you generate the sysdump for that PC ?

Regards,

• First I'm going to retract the 'cannot reproduce the quick startup' statement, post #29.

Currently if I leave everything else alone and simply set MySQL service to manual then the system is starting pretty reliably with a 3~4 minute delay from login to windows being active, which is a definite improvement.

@TheMouse: perform a clean boot as explained below and let me know the results:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Any details? Can you generate the sysdump for that PC ?

Will post results of clean boot a little later, I assume that results of a totally clean boot _and_ a clean boot but with BD2011 enabled would be useful.

The other problem is already subject to a ticket, same symptoms as a the forum topic "Invalid license key - your system is no longer protected".

• Will post results of clean boot a little later, I assume that results of a totally clean boot _and_ a clean boot but with BD2011 enabled would be useful.

1st runs with clean boot, timed from 'windows has finished checking the disk' (I run with SOS set in boot.ini) up to the point at which the msconfig prompt is first displayed (mm:ss):-

1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 0:55

2nd runs with BD services and startup items enabled, timed between the same points:-

11:04, 5:30, 9:40

3rd runs with everything enabled again but mysql set to manual, timed from finished check disk to my jabber client starting:-

8:55, 6:50, 6:52

4th runs with everything enabled but BD2011 uninstalled:-

2:23, 2:06

The 3rd runs were disappointing, as I know I timed them at around 3:30 the night before.

Now about to reinstall BD2011 again, then go for a beer, life is too short to time system startups on a Saturday night ^_^

• stuartjl
    edited September 2010
    Options

A couple of times now BD has started without the Update service being available. Looked at the event logs and now variable services are not starting correctly, including BD services. This might explain the variable startup times I'm seeing. I have screen shots of the first reboot issue, together with the event log.

post-36632-1285534824_thumb.jpg

post-36632-1285534833_thumb.jpg

post-36632-1285534840_thumb.jpg

post-36632-1285534849_thumb.jpg

post-36632-1285534861_thumb.jpg

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=6842" data-fileid="6842" rel="">EvtTxt.txt

• Hi Stuart,

First of all thanks for the detailed info you posted. I have noticed "Symantec Real Time Storage Protection Component" being installed on your PC.

Remove it from Add/Remove Programs then restart the PC. Reinstall BitDefender AFTER you clean your Windows registry using CCleaner as explained below:

1. Uninstall Symantec Real Time Storage Protection;

2. Restart the PC;

3. Uninstall BitDefender using THIS tool;

4. Click on the Uninstall button and wait to be asked to restart the PC

5. After restart use CCleaner to remove any traces still left in your PC from the previous installation of BitDefender

6. Restart the PC;

7. Open regedit from the RUN dialog (Start menu button) and search for 'BitDefender': remove all found keys by right click and select 'Delete'

8. Restart the PC again

9. Save the file below according to your computer architecture in a NEW FOLDER just created.

32bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_32b.exe

64bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_64b.exe

Let me know via email if the issue was resolved.

• stuartjl
    edited September 2010
    Options

I think that must be on my other machine and therefore related to BD2011 'no longer protected', rather than this slow down topic, will check tomorrow but I 'removed' Symantec software about 2 years ago so must be some dross left behind....

However good news! I don't know if a recent BD2011 update has fixed it but at this moment my machine is starting as quick as it did with BD2010 even with MySQL service running at startup. Since it has varied I would like a few more restarts before I am convinced but at the moment it would appear the problem as gone away.

The only actions I have taken is to remove MSXML 4.0, simply because MS are incapable of releasing patches for their own products that actually install & also removed wireshark as I don't need it anymore, one less thing in the network stack.

• Indeed, the slowdown at startup should be resolved. A product update was released yesterday. If you have any further queries send me a PM or create a new topic.

This discussion has been closed.