Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2011 Internet Security

Options

Dear Sirs,

I have installed BD Internet Security 2011 on a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit. It was installed immediately after the operating system was installed before any other software. The same issue was present before the OS was clean installed which was done due to that issue alone. Everytime the OS was rebooted I would face the following issues:

1. The firewall gets disabled and communications with it fails.

2. The network tab of the firewall does not show any adapter.

3. The protection level of the antivirus tab gets stuck on Custom level and no settings can be changed. The slider would be dimmed and not available.

4. Email scanning is completely disabled.

Once the troubleshoot button is pressed under the firewall tab, I get a screen stating that vsserv.exe service has stopped functioning and then the troubleshooter starts searching for drivers and ends up repairing the driver. Thereafter, the firewall and network adapter are restored and the protection level under the virus tab can be accessed normally with email scanning enabled.

I had BD total security 2010 installed on the same machine which is a Toshiba A500 notebook and it was functioning very good. I have tried all possible steps to troubleshoot this problem but nothing worked. Hence, i have to keep going into the firewall tab each time i reboot and hit the troubleshoot button there to activate all disabled functions.

I look forward to your assistance in resolving this problem very soon.

Best Regards.

Comments

• nikki605
    edited October 2010
    Options

What brand & model wireless card is in your Toshiba? Is it Atheros, by chance? I am asking because I have read about conflicts between antivirus/firewall programs and some of the 'manufacturer' software included with laptops.

Is the fresh install of win7 x64 a retail Microsoft version, or Toshiba branded recovery disk? For example, my Lenovo Thinkpad is loaded with unique ThinkVantage software - wireless, Toolbox, Lenove Enhanced Experience, etc. If I were to reload Win7 x64 with the Lenovo recovery disks, all of those unique utility programs would be reloaded.

Awaiting your reply,

• Prime 09, I've had the exact same problem since I renewed to Bitdefender Total Security 2011 last month and still don't have a fix for this. DanyDan had me uninstall software, uninstall and reinstall Bidefender which I did twice and no change. They had me upload Teamviewer software and are supposed to look at my PC but as of yet nothing has been done. Please let me know if you get a fix for this and what it is ... thanks.

• What brand & model wireless card is in your Toshiba? Is it Atheros, by chance? I am asking because I have read about conflicts between antivirus/firewall programs and some of the 'manufacturer' software included with laptops.

Is the fresh install of win7 x64 a retail Microsoft version, or Toshiba branded recovery disk? For example, my Lenovo Thinkpad is loaded with unique ThinkVantage software - wireless, Toolbox, Lenove Enhanced Experience, etc. If I were to reload Win7 x64 with the Lenovo recovery disks, all of those unique utility programs would be reloaded.

Awaiting your reply,

Hello Nikki,

Thank you for your response.

YES the wireless adapter is Atheros AR9285. The win7 x64 is a Toshiba branded recovery disk. I feel you are going in the right direction in troubleshooting the issue.

I don't think the problem is with the Athero wireless adapter, but more likely with the branded OS. I have seen the same BD 2011 software running smoothly and error free on a toshiba laptop equipped with an Athero adapter BUT the win7 x64 was not a branded one. The OS is a retail version purchased separately!

Any Ideas?

• P.S. I tired two different network adapters, the internal one and an external USB adapter and the problem was the same with both adapters.

• Prime 09, I've had the exact same problem since I renewed to Bitdefender Total Security 2011 last month and still don't have a fix for this. DanyDan had me uninstall software, uninstall and reinstall Bidefender which I did twice and no change. They had me upload Teamviewer software and are supposed to look at my PC but as of yet nothing has been done. Please let me know if you get a fix for this and what it is ... thanks.

Hello Franco,

I have also done all the steps you did to try and resolve the issue and more. I am positive that the problem lies with a hardware driver and has nothing to do with win7 x64. I have seen other machines running the same software on the same OS without any problem. Its worthless to install and uninstall BD. I did a fresh install of the OS and immediately installed BD 2011 but the problem remained. So, I am almost positive that there is a conflicting driver or hardware with the BD firewall aside from the adapter and the OS.

I beleive that BD support should look into the hardware configurations of both of our machines and see if there is a certain hardware or driver in common that might be causing this problem and then provide a fix for it.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards.

• Hello Nikki,

Thank you for your response.

YES the wireless adapter is Atheros AR9285. The win7 x64 is a Toshiba branded recovery disk. I feel you are going in the right direction in troubleshooting the issue.

I don't think the problem is with the Athero wireless adapter, but more likely with the branded OS. I have seen the same BD 2011 software running smoothly and error free on a toshiba laptop equipped with an Athero adapter BUT the win7 x64 was not a branded one. The OS is a retail version purchased separately!

Any Ideas?

Prime09,

Is there a program on the Toshiba laptop called Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or some similar name? It's used to set up wireless security features, but is not needed for the basic operation of the wireless card.

I don't have a Toshiba laptop so I can't give you the exact steps, but you need to try uninstalling the Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup program (or similar) if it is there.

- Uninstall the Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup program using an uninstall tool from Atheros if one exists, or from Add/Remove programs, or from the program's uninstall Start Menu-->All Programs entry

- Uninstall BD using the Uninstall Tool.

- Reboot the laptop

- I would suggest using a program like CCleaner to remove temp files and also use the Registry cleaner section to remove any Registry entries related to either of these 2 programs. Let CCleaner save backups of the Registry entries to be removed in case you need to restore them later

- Reboot the laptop

- Download and install the full version of BDIS 2011 x64 from HERE

If you want more information on the problem, do a web search for atheros wi-fi protected setup software conflict for other users experience.

Let us know if this helps,

• Hisham
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Prime09,

Is there a program on the Toshiba laptop called Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or some similar name? It's used to set up wireless security features, but is not needed for the basic operation of the wireless card.

I don't have a Toshiba laptop so I can't give you the exact steps, but you need to try uninstalling the Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup program (or similar) if it is there.

- Uninstall the Atheros Wi-Fi Protected Setup program using an uninstall tool from Atheros if one exists, or from Add/Remove programs, or from the program's uninstall Start Menu-->All Programs entry

- Uninstall BD using the Uninstall Tool.

- Reboot the laptop

- I would suggest using a program like CCleaner to remove temp files and also use the Registry cleaner section to remove any Registry entries related to either of these 2 programs. Let CCleaner save backups of the Registry entries to be removed in case you need to restore them later

- Reboot the laptop

- Download and install the full version of BDIS 2011 x64 from HERE

If you want more information on the problem, do a web search for atheros wi-fi protected setup software conflict for other users experience.

Let us know if this helps,

Hi Again,

I searched for the Atheros WIFI protected setup on my Toshiba Laptop but it doesn't look to be there. I downloaded the BD 2011 software and will install it again in a minute.

I have done further investigation into the problem and revealed the hidden items in the device manager. Surprisingly, I found a bitdefender system driver for the firewall as being disabled and its called "bdfwfpf.sys". Its listed under the non-plug and play section of the device manager. I tried starting the driver but it didn't.

Somehow, I have a strong feeling that this system driver have something related to the firewall issue we are discussing here. I believe it should be running instead of being disabled. I have another toshiba laptop with a retail version of windows 7 X64 and it has the same atheros adapter, but it works like a charm. So, somehow I don't feel that the wireless adapter is a cause for the problem especially that there is no WPS driver installed on the system.

I have attached a set of images for the "bdfwfpf" error and another set for the error of the software firewall that happens at each reboot for your reference.

Thank you.

post-38202-1287856228_thumb.png

post-38202-1287856244_thumb.png

post-38202-1287856267_thumb.png

post-38202-1287856318_thumb.png

post-38202-1287856331_thumb.png

post-38202-1287856809_thumb.png

• Hello,

First of all please mention: the driver version and the network adapter you are currently using and causing the issue you described. Next follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello,

First of all please mention: the driver version and the network adapter you are currently using and causing the issue you described. Next follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

Dear Daniel,

The network adapter is the wireless Atheros AR9285 and the driver version is 8.0.0.258

I have followed the steps you mentioned and a report was submitted as instructed by you.

Regards.

• Dear Daniel,

The network adapter is the wireless Atheros AR9285 and the driver version is 8.0.0.258

I have followed the steps you mentioned and a report was submitted as instructed by you.

Regards.

Sirs,

I have noticed a very important issue with the problem that could narrow your troubleshooting the firewall error and solve it. When the the machine starts and the firewal as usual is disabled, and prior to pressing the troubleshoot button, I checked the device manager tab under non-plug and play items and found the "bdfwfpf.sys" item listed as having an error and thus disabled. HOWEVER, only when I close the device manager tab and press the troubleshoot button under the firewall tab where the driver gets repaired and functional, I check the same item under device manager and it is gone and not available anymore. Please note that the troubleshoot button won't fix the driver and restore functionality to the firewall unless the device manager tab is closed.

THEREFORE, PLEASE CONSIDER THIS ISSUE WITH "bdfwfpf.sys" SINCE ITS LISTED WHEN THE PROBLEM IS PRESENT AND ONCE THE FIREWALL IS RESTORED, VIA PRESSING TROUBLESHOOT, THE ITEM DISAPPEARS FROM DEVICE MANAGER AND THEN THINGS ARE OKAY WITH BITDEFENDER.

I hope that this narrows the problem solving and help speed up the fix for it.

Regards.

• Hisham
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi,

Today I received another error message when I tried to manually start the "bdfwfpf.sys" service through Device Manager. It states that "the system encountered an error while attempting to start the service and that an object with the same GUID or LUID already exists". A screenshot of the error is attached herein for your review.

Also, I noticed that the "bdfwfpf.sys" service should remain visible in device manager when it starts normally with the system boot. This was noted today on my other toshiba laptop, whereas, the service disappears on my troubled laptop from Device Manager when the firewall troubleshoot button is pressed and the driver repaired.

Hence, the issue seems to be strongly related to "bdfwfpf.sys" service.

Regards.

post-38202-1287912259_thumb.png

• How you doing guy, I think your on the right track with the bdwfpf driver being the culprit here. When I changed it's start up type from "system" to "automatic" in the device manager drive tab and reboot it shows the driver working properly and loaded and the firewall and email scanning load in bitdefender. However I can't access the internet with it set to automatic vs system.

• How you doing guy, I think your on the right track with the bdwfpf driver being the culprit here. When I changed it's start up type from "system" to "automatic" in the device manager drive tab and reboot it shows the driver working properly and loaded and the firewall and email scanning load in bitdefender. However I can't access the internet with it set to automatic vs system.

Hello Franco,

It looks like we're going to solve the error on our own. I too have set the bdwfpf.sys to automatic AND the issue is SOLVED. The firewall loads up and email scanning is enabled at boot up. I can also access the net with no problems and I don't know why you can't.

I would like to ask Bitdefender support if setting the service to AUTOMATIC is fine and if they agree with such solution or they have another way of doing it while maintaining the default setting of SYSTEM.

Good help Franco! Thanks.

I look forward to Support's response to all this.

• Alright!, glad to hear yours is up and running Prime09. I might have had an interruption in my DSL service at the time of the first testing as now I can also access the net with the bdfwfpf set to automatic and bitdefender loads properly. I don't see why keeping it set to automatic would be a problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good find on the bdfwfpf.sys being the culprit and many thanks for helping me get this annoying problem solved :D

• GREAT!! I am very happy that your suffering and mine have hopefully come to an end with this issue. I hope this post would help many others who might end up facing the same problem on their machines.

I am glad to have been of service to you.

Regards.

• I would still like to get Support's feedback about their agreement with the solution adopted to resolve the firewall issue. Please confirm.

Regards.

• Hello Franco,

It looks like we're going to solve the error on our own. I too have set the bdwfpf.sys to automatic AND the issue is SOLVED. The firewall loads up and email scanning is enabled at boot up. I can also access the net with no problems and I don't know why you can't.

I would like to ask Bitdefender support if setting the service to AUTOMATIC is fine and if they agree with such solution or they have another way of doing it while maintaining the default setting of SYSTEM.

Good help Franco! Thanks.

I look forward to Support's response to all this.

Hello!

Just wanted to let You know that this issue also appeared on my SONY VAIO vpceb2s1e with Intel wireless chipset.

As You suggested I modified bdwfpf.sys to be running in automatic mode and it worked!

My OS is Win7 Home Premium x64 with BDIS2011 x64 on board.

Thank You both Franco and Prime09 for working out this solution!

I also would like to see a comment from BD Staff Member on this ^^

Best wishes,

Lucas

• Hey there Lucas, glad the automatic setting worked for you also. I haven't had any further problems since switching to the auto setting. I use an Acer desktop with wired DSL service so this doesn't seem to be PC or network card specific but maybe Win7 64 bit specific.

Take Care

• Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for the feedback and the information you provided so far. Using the info you gave me I was able to pinpoint the issue and address it. I am pleased to announce you that we are working on a fix, the resolution will be available with the release of the new build 14.0.24, build that will be release in the next few days.

I will post in the forums as soon as the build will be available for download via automatic updates.

Kind regards,

• Hello DanyDan,

Thank you for your reply. Still waiting on the update to solve the issue of the firewall.

Regards.

• Hi Prime,

Hasn't the issue been resolved with the installation of the new BitDefender build ?

Indeed setting the Firewall driver on automatic will resolve the issue. A resolution should be available soon, the issue is currently work on by my colleagues from the Dev. team.

I have created a ticket on your behalf with the ID: 201011271017821. As soon as the resolution will be available I will let everyone know via email and, of course, via the Forum.

• I have read this thread with attention since I ahve the exact same issue (No adapters shown FIREwALL - Network Tab, and impossible to have the Antivirus scan my emails (when I select the options and click on apply-ok, it doesn't stick, if I go back in there, it's unchecked.

The issue I have compared to you guys, is that I don't have the bdfwfpf.sys service in DEVICE MANAGER! The only one I have that is disabled (after clicking on "showing hidden devices) in "non plug'n play drivers", is "Bitdefender Firewall NDIS 6 Filter Driver". It is the only one in the list that is disabled. Is this one enabled for you guys please?

Also, I changed the "startup type" to AUTOMATIC (it sticked) but can't start it even after PC restart. Error message: "A device attached to this system is not functionning".

Is it normal I do not have the bdfwfpf.sys in the list (whether enabled or not)?

• Hey there Tierix, just noticed your having problems with this issue now. FYI, my Bitdefender Firewall NDIS 6 Filter Driver is enabled and the startup type is set to system for both my PC's. Also I checked my bdfwfpf.sys after installing the latest Bitdefender ver 14.0.24.330 and it is still set to automatic to load the firewall and email antivirus on the Acer PC that had the problem but it works fine on my second PC with it set to system. I'm assuming your running 14.0.24.330 now. Wish I could be of more help but Prime 09 may check in with more insight for you since it was his expert troubleshooting that spotted the bdfwfpf.sys being the source of the problems ... good luck.

• ok thanks for this. I don't think it's a good sign I don't even have that bdfwfpf crap in the list! Thanks anyway

This discussion has been closed.