Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Access Violation After Bdis2011 Update

Options
dmayo
edited November 2010 in Old topics

For the past few days, updating BD Internet Security 2011 and then rebooting throws an access violation error (see screenshot). The last time this did not occur was after the major new build on 3 Nov. (update size: 39MB+). It has occurred after subsequent updates, and I have been unable to get rid of it without restoring either a complete boot drive image with Norton Ghost or a Fix-It Utilities recovery checkpoint; and the second method failed, once. Some details:

• Hardware: Lenovo ThinkPad X61
  • Applications Event Log shows an error in Windows Search Service
  • Fix-It recovery checkpoint made immediately before BD update shows various differences (see screenshot)

I have again restored my boot drive image and would rather not mess it up for the sake of troubleshooting. I hope you can get something useful out of this information.

Regards,

David

post-14623-1289106243_thumb.png

post-14623-1289106258_thumb.png

Comments

• Hello,

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello,

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

Daniel,

I sent the requested PM to your message box on Monday. Should I have sent it to the tech support e-mail address?

Debitto

• No, sending the PM to DanyDan was the correct way to do it.

Regards,

• Hi David,

I have found the following:

- SpywareBlaster 4.4

- TuneUp Utilities 2011 with the driver running: \??\C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2011\TuneUpUtilitiesDriver32.sys

Uninstall both of the above software and restart the PC. Also I noticed you have entries from the 2010 version of BitDefender: the update registry key and the FileVault one are still present in your PC.

1. Save the file below WITHOUT running it yet:

http://www.BitDefender.com/uninstall

2. Right click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator" - only for Windows Vista/7

3. Click on the "Uninstall" button then WAIT TO BE ASKED to restart the PC. Please do so when prompted

4. Save the file below WITHOUT running it yet:

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup236.exe

5. Install CCleaner then open it

6. Perform both types of cleaning: Temporary files(first icon on the left hand - the blue paintbrush) and Windows Registry cleaning

Do NOT backup the entries before removing them !

7. Restart the PC again

8. Download the file below (depending on your PC architecture) but don't open it yet:

BitDefender Internet Security 2011:

32bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_32b.exe

64bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_64b.exe

• Daniel,

Let me think about that. It's a lot to do, in view of the following:

• SpywareBlaster has been there all along, even when we worked on a earlier problem and you asked me to remove other things. That problem was resolved without removing SpywareBlaster, and the current problem did not occur till lately.
    • TuneUp Utilities was there during several updates of BDIS2011 including the big new build without causing trouble. I removed an earlier version of TuneUp at your request but wanted to try the new one and installed it recently. As I say, there was no sign of conflict with several updates of BD after that.
    Is it really likely that these things are causing the trouble in question, or are we just removing other security solutions and system utilities as a matter of principle?

If it turns out that there is indeed a conflict between a very recent update of BDIS2011 and either of the products you've mentioned, which were already there and working with BDIS2011, will BD respond by resolving the conflict in its own updates?

Regards,

David

• Daniel,

A little more.

At the end of your instructions, you tell me to download the BDIS2011 installation file but not open it yet. I assume I should wait to hear from you again before carrying out the step before that: running the uninstall tool. Is that right, or did you mean to end with a line telling me to do the reinstallation? I don't want to be without protection while I wait for your next post.

As I reported at the top of this thread, Application Event Log shows an error in Windows Search Service. There is no such error when my PC does not contain one of the recent BD updates I've mentioned. Doesn't that suggest that you should be looking at your updates in relation to Windows Search Service, and not just seeing what will happen if the user uninstalls other products?

Regards,

David

• The instructions were how to completely and correctly re-install BitDefender. You should follow each step carefully and, if you need further assistance please let me know.

You should uninstall the other 2 security solution you have on your PC then perform the cleaning using CCleaner follow by a second PC restart. Everything is explained in details in my email.

What I mean by 'do not open it yet' is to be sure that you haven't used the option to OPEN the file instead of saving it to disk. When the download is complete you should right click on the saved file and select 'Run as Administrator'. That only applies for Windows Vista / Windows 7.

Cleaning the registry with CCleaner / Argente or other POWERFUL registry cleaner it's a must to be done before the second restart and before re-installing BitDefender.

Hope the above clears the things you did not understood. If you need any other info feel free to post or to email me.

• Daniel,

Thanks for answering one of my questions. However, I'd still like answers to the others, since they will shed light on the validity of the approach you're taking. Here they are again, in full.

• Is it really likely that these things are causing the trouble in question, or are we just removing other security solutions and system utilities as a matter of principle?
    • If it turns out that there is indeed a conflict between a very recent update of BDIS2011 and either of the products you've mentioned, which were already there and working with BDIS2011, will BD respond by resolving the conflict in its own updates?
    • As I reported at the top of this thread, Application Event Log shows an error in Windows Search Service. There is no such error when my PC does not contain one of the recent BD updates I've mentioned. Doesn't that suggest that you should be looking at your updates in relation to Windows Search Service, and not just seeing what will happen if the user uninstalls other products?

I know you're not running the business, but I assume you can respond in some way. Please note (I'm anticipating you a bit, here) that I am not asking you to take responsibility for the behavior of other products. The other products were playing nicely with BDIS2011, and then trouble started with an update of the BD product. I'd like you to focus on the nature of the problem at hand, and not simply make a practice of telling the user to remove other products before you can be responsible for yours. If there is a recognizable conflict between your product and the others, please provide a rough description of it. I don't mind if it's technically over my head.

If it would be better for someone in the business office to answer this, that's fine; but it's an issue that other users have raised on this forum many times.

Regards,

David

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi David,

First of all I would like to impress on you the fact that I am not uninstalling other security products just to see what happens. There are known compatibility issues with some of these software. Furthermore, I do sense from your e-mail that you do not trust me, still I can't really understand what you mean by: "someone from the Business office to answer this" - mind elaborate ? I am one of the Tier 2 Engineers and the person in charge for the entire BitDefender forum. You are using a Desktop product so you will get support from the End-User Support Team, not the Business one.

To answer the above 3 questions you pointed out:

- No, I don't advise users to remove the software in question just as a matter of principle, is because they need to remove it in order for BD to work properly or use a secondary security solution that does not have any real time protection (enabled or disabled).

- will BD respond by resolving the conflict in its own updates ? Depends on the software. We will never resolve a compatibility issue between BD and another security solution. However, if any of the software a user is using can't be open anymore after installing BD, then YES, we will make the necessary changes so the software will be compatible with BD.

- but it's an issue that other users have raised on this forum many times. Are you talking about the Access violation error message ? I haven't seen it posted anywhere else except this post - with all the respect but please try to be certain before writing something, as you may confuse the others reading this topic.

I have provided over and over the explanation of the conflicts between BD and other security solutions: The software that have a real time protection module (Malwarebytes, Norton, KS, Ad-Aware etc) WILL CONFLICT with the BitDefender real time protection. The same thing happens with any Firewall (including the Windows Firewall) if you are using other product than BitDefender Antivirus, product that doesn't have a stand-along Firewall module.

Furthermore you mention that the issue occurs after a BD update however keep in mind that also the other products are updating too so the issue may be caused by one of those updates also.

Regarding the Windows Search issue, Gary (Nikki605) already escalated it to me and I am currently gathering the info and logs I need to pass it to my colleagues from the Developing team. Please provide me with the errors you see in the Windows EventViewer along with a FRESH Support Tool log ( send me via PM the download link). From what I understood is that the Error in the first screenshot occurs after you install the latest build 14.0.24.330 ? If you don't make the update after the installation, no error appears at PC start-up ?

• Daniel,

No distrust intended. I thought I might be wrongly burdening you, a tech spet, with my persistent questioning about the policy of recommending the removal of other products. If you had been directed to take that line, I thought you might prefer to let the people responsible answer me.

We've been discussing two particular products: SpywareBlaster and TuneUp Utilities. SpywareBlaster is of course another security solution, but I'm not aware that TuneUp Utilities contains any security features at all. It's a suite of utilities for optimizing system performance. Removing the one product makes sense to me, but not the other. That's why I asked you to explain.

When I said an issue that other users have raised, I meant the seemingly generic instructions to remove other products, not the access violation. I apologize for not connecting my meanings very well.

I think I keep the tone of my posts pretty calm and businesslike, especially in comparison with some that you get. There's no anger on my side, and I hope none on yours. However, during the time since I last wrote, I've decided to switch to another Internet security suite (which I'll have the good manners not to advertise here) on my main machine while running out the BD license on the other two. Who knows, I may come back to BD. I'm not going away in a huff. It's just that I'd like to find a solution that doesn't require me to rip out various things including itself from time to time. If I do come back, I'll try what you've suggested. I'm not seeing problems on the other machines, where I'm running BDIS2011 and BDIS2010.

Regards,

David

• Hey David,

First of all I would like to Thank you for your kind and direct post. I have advised you in removing Tune-Up Utilities as that software has indeed a driver for protecting the registry and certain entries not to be added at PC start-up. I am sorry to hear you removed BitDefender from some of the PC you are using, hope to change your mind soon. If there is any info I can help you with feel free to ask at any time.

Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.