Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

System Slowdown/constant Hard Disk Access

Options

I've recently purchased Bitdefender Total Security after falling out with McAfee. Since installing it I have noticed a huge problem that seems to be related to web browsing (Firefox) and/or using a CPU intensive applications.

After about 30 mins of browsing the broswer seems to stutter, with pages taking longer and longer to load, streaming eventually stops and the hard disk seems to be pagefiling everything. It's af if I am trying to run my system on 256Mb. This is speeded up if I try and use a processor intensive application. The only thing that corrects it is a re-boot, which sometimes requires a reset as it can take 5 mins to shut down. It didn't happen with McAfee and has only happened since installing Bitdefender.

Any clues would be greatly accepted.

I have a dual core Athlon (5800) and 3 Gig memory and around 500 gig of free hd space.

Comments

• How did you remove McAfee? Did you use their clean removal tool? If not, any leftover files/registry entries could be conflicting with BDTS.

If you didn't, first run the BD clean removal tool to uninstall BD. Second, download and run the McAfee clean removal tool - a link to that tool can be found in this topic. Finally, re-install BDTS and test.

Post back with your results.

Regards,

• Did as you say. I also did a full defrag on all my drives and a full system scan. Also turned off the P2P in settings. My machine is much better, but it still slows down after 30-60 minutes with apparently pointless drive activity. It means on-line gaming is a no-no as I get the stutters. And trying to download whilst doing another task is pointless. Can I have my money back?

• You certainly can request a refund, however there is still more troubleshooting we can do (if you are willing) to try and resolve your issue. The BD tech support group on this forum is very responsive and eager to help.

I would encourage you to follow these steps to submit dump files to tech support for investigation before abandoning BD and requesting a refund. But it's certainly your choice.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Aghh. For gods sake, give me my PC back. I have tried to download several files simultaneously tonight from a paid storage site I use regularly. 100 meg files each. It normally takes a few minutes on my connection (13meg actual). Tonight it took 45 minutes despite reporting download speeds of 300-400kb/s for each file. The hard drive has been churning away for almost 7 minutes and it's still at it. Web pages take an eternity to load and I cannot stream from half the sites I use. Bitdefener has taken over my machine and stripped it of about 95% or it's performance. Even my Daughter is complaining about her PC and connection and she doesn't know I've swapped McAfee for bitdefender.

Anyway, rant over, how do I get my money back?

• Hi Nomad,

Please make the following tests and let me know if the issue still reproduce:

1. Open BitDefender in Expert View (Go to Options in the upper part of the Window, select Expert View and click OK)

2. Go to the Antivirus tab.

3. Click on the Custom Level button, uncheck the Scan web (HTTP) traffic and check if the issue still occur.

4. Disable the Search Advisor module and check if the issue still occurs.

5. If it does, Disable the Antiphishing module on that browser and check if the issue still occurs.

6. If it still does, click on Advanced Settings and disable the AVC module and IDS module (by default IDS should be disabled).

If the issue persist after having all the above modules disabled please send me the following log file:

a) Please go to this page

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

and download the autoruns file.

B) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want) and then just upload it HERE.

Looking forward to your answer!

This discussion has been closed.