Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Incompatibility And Crashes

Options

The Ultimate Trouble Shooter http://www.answersthatwork.com/TUT_pages/TUT_information.htm will not run in either WinXP or Win7 with Bitdefender 2011 installed even if I add it to the exclusions list in AVC. BD causes Access violation errors in TUT. As soon as BDAV is uninstalled WALLAH, TUT works. TUT also works in safe mode. TUT works fine with BD 2010 products.

PCTools Firewall will not work with BDAV Pro 2011 in Win7 (In fact crashes the computer every time) but does work with WinXP. The firewall in BDIS is painfully complicated and inadequate and I really dislike that BD isn't far more compatible with other programs. I use firewalls to block programs from connecting to the internet without my knowledge and BDIS is really inadequate when it comes to that.

Whenever I deal with Bitdefender it costs me money. Every install comes with, how many more times will I have to install and uninstall, send stuff to support and what programs won't work.. etc etc. I got in trouble because I recommended the program to some of my customers (I repair computers) and now I have to deal with all their questions because many of them or 70 - 80 years old and just don't know or want to come to a forum like this to resolve problems that shouldn't be happening in the first place....never again will I recommend BD anything to anyone else.

Your marketing department seems to think incompatibility works to lock customers into a full security solution, but in my case it has a directly opposite effect, it drives people away. If your going to block other programs make yours better than theirs.

I hope to see a friendlier BD in the future. I was hoping 2011 was it, but it is even worse than ever before and that's bad.

Comments

• Hello Shpshftr,

I understand your frustration however you should also keep in mind that what you describe in your topic is normal to happen. You mentioned in the first place TUT. That software will try tweak your PC and make some changes into the System files so I find it normal to crash as BitDefender will consider it as bad behavior.

Regarding the PCTools Firewall, do you use BitDefender Internet Security, right ? Those two programs have a Firewall module and, even with the risk of repeating myself, having two firewalls installed on the same PC is NOT a good idea if you do not master both software and know exactly how to set each of them. Even so, you may still encounter connectivity issues.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

My best wishes,

• Hello Shpshftr,

I understand your frustration however you should also keep in mind that what you describe in your topic is normal to happen. You mentioned in the first place TUT. That software will try tweak your PC and make some changes into the System files so I find it normal to crash as BitDefender will consider it as bad behavior.

Regarding the PCTools Firewall, do you use BitDefender Internet Security, right ? Those two programs have a Firewall module and, even with the risk of repeating myself, having two firewalls installed on the same PC is NOT a good idea if you do not master both software and know exactly how to set each of them. Even so, you may still encounter connectivity issues.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

My best wishes,

So what you are saying is that if I tweak my computer so that unnecessary programs don't run at start up BD will stop the program. Then if that is true then why doesn't BD block the system configuration utility because that's all TUT is doing? It is an extension of windows programs, it simply explains what you are turning off, if you should turn it off, and a description of what you are turning off. It is benign in every way except for how BD 2011 arbitrarily decides. Besides TUT is a ligit program, it is not a virus, so you are saying if you don't like a program you will block it even if it is known to be a valid program. I find that arrogant and chea.p.

I am using BDAV 2011 and ONLY BDAV 2011. I tried the BDIS 2011 trial by itself (without any other firewall) and found it to be inadequate for my needs. At the risk of repeating myself, "The firewall in BDIS is painfully complicated and inadequate" ALSO, why will BDAV 2011 run fine in XP with PCtools and not in Win7? Your program seems to be inconsistent. BDIS 2011 is overkill for me as I already have a hardware firewall. I simply want an easy program that watches connections to the internet from programs installed on my computer and asks me if it's OK to connect and will block them if I say so. PCtools firewall has a very nice interface for exactly that, however, I am not sure I like it because it still lets some connections through. So my quest for a better application blocker is ongoing.

I am used to BD support clumping me in with all the other people that run multiple conflicting programs but I accept that most BD employees and volunteers are mostly those same kind of people. I only post here because sometimes I get someone that actually knows what they are talking about. You are not one of them. You tell me there is no solution and I know there is always a solution, it's just whether I get a wimp or a real tech agent that knows his shyt.

I don't want your apologies, I want solutions. Talking to you is like talking to Dell support. Give me a break!

• One more thing. I assume by your response that the AVC (Active Virus Control) is nonfictional?

I also find it interesting that Win7 sees BDAV 2011 as having a firewall when it doesn't. I wonder if that's why it won't work with other firewalls because BDAV is taking control of the Firewall module and blocking access to it unless you buy the BDIS. During the install BDAV 2011 insists on turning off the windows firewall but then won't let me turn it back on after install.

To me it is clear what you are doing, the question is, why do you think you can do it then justify it with BS and sleep at night? I think it's because you don't have a clue. Please find me someone that does.

Thanks.

• I meant to say: One more thing. I assume by your response that the AVC (Active Virus Control Exclusion List) is nonfictional?

• You misunderstood me. Also I do find myself disappointed for the lack of confidence that you show me. As you requested to speak with someone else, I have escalated your request and my colleague, Carmen Cernev, that works with me on the Tier 2 Technical Team will assist you.

One last thought: if I do not have a clue, why do I have all the positive comments in my profile and I only get positive feedback from user that were assisted by me ? I do feel offended by accusing me of BS and, furthermore, for your knowledge, I barely sleep at night. Not cause of BS'ing users on this forum but because of the lack of time.

Topic closed. Check your email for further information that you will receive from my colleague, Carmen.

This discussion has been closed.