Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Total Security 2011 Update Error -1011

Options

Hello folks,

I've gotten -1011 error while attempting to run update and have not seen any search results which might help me resolve this. The machine which gets this error may have vestiges of built in security from mfg. and windows login is attempting to enforce a password change regieme with 5 days left in the countdown.

Comments

• Welcome! We need more detail. What make/brand PC? Laptop/desktop? What Windows OS? What update - Windows, BitDefender, some other update.

What is the name of the security software?

Can you post a screenshot of the error message in your next reply.

Regards,

• Thanks for replying.

The machine is a refurb HP/Compaq nc6400 laptop, XP pro (sp3)the failing update is with Total Security 2011 Sorry the fn prt sc wouldn't bring you a screen shot nor have I been able to copy/paste to this message. You'd have to walk me through that one having never made a screenshot. It shows under Bitdefender Update (complete) 0 kb Red exclamation point, An error occurred during the update: (-1011) If the problem persists please check our online website at http://www.bitdefender.com. The machine had something called built in security which I had removed through program add remove section of the Control panel, in order to get the program(Bitdefender) to function. The current ISP has a free on offer Norton security product which I'm ignoring for now. The browser is IE8 with the Qwest/Windows Live Messenger. The Windows Security Center recognizes Bitdefender Firewall and shows Antivirus Installed (all green lighted)

Welcome! We need more detail. What make/brand PC? Laptop/desktop? What Windows OS? What update - Windows, BitDefender, some other update.

What is the name of the security software?

Can you post a screenshot of the error message in your next reply.

Regards,

• Thanks for posting back with the additional information. To have BD tech support investigate your problem further, please follow the procedure below.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

How to take a Screenshot:

1. When the window is on the screen please press the "PrintScreen" key ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

2. Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start > Program > Accessories > Paint));

3. Paste the picture in a new Paint document;

4. Save the file in JPEG format.

5. Upload the file to the BD forum when you post your reply.

Regards,

• vpijoan@msn.com
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks for posting back with the additional information. To have BD tech support investigate your problem further, please follow the procedure below.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

How to take a Screenshot:

1. When the window is on the screen please press the "PrintScreen" key ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

2. Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start > Program > Accessories > Paint));

3. Paste the picture in a new Paint document;

4. Save the file in JPEG format.

5. Upload the file to the BD forum when you post your reply.

Regards,

• post-38197-1290915836_thumb.jpg B)

OK I've

snapped a screenshot

uploaded created file

PM'ed <DanyDan>

cannot bring the screenshot here or there,

Just inept I guess.

Hope this all works out soon.

BigBadBrad

• You got the screenshot posted just fine - thanks. :)

Give Daniel some time to look at the files you submitted and he'll respond with whatever he finds.

Regards,

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hello Brad,

I have re-open the ticket with ID: 201011101011158. I have sent you instructions on how to further investigate as I need additional log files from you. Check your MSN email and send me the requested files for analysis.

Thank you and looking forward to your answer!

P.S. Nice username :D

• post-38197-1290992794_thumb.jpg

Hello Brad,

I have re-open the ticket with ID: 201011101011158. I have sent you instructions on how to further investigate as I need additional log files from you. Check your MSN email and send me the requested files for analysis.

Thank you and looking forward to your answer!

P.S. Nice username :D

Autoruns attached?upload fails not permitted

Screenshot

failed(wrong filetype)post-38197-1290992794_thumb.jpg better now.

Won't allow the Autoruns to be uploaded.

BigBadBrad

• mnsaadeh
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hello their,

I got same error -1011 but I am using Internet Security 2011 64x.

I tried to install weekly 2011 64x but it also failed...

I also tried reinstalling Win7 64x and the error remains!

I guess by now it is a fatal error in Bitdefender 2011 software and I hope they will solve it so soon or we will shift to competitors -_-

• Hello their,

I got same error -1011 but I am using Internet Security 2011 64x.

I tried to install weekly 2011 64x but it also failed...

I also tried reinstalling Win7 64x and the error remains!

I guess by now it is a fatal error in Bitdefender 2011 software and I hope they will solve it so soon or we will shift to competitors -_-

While not being expert, my opinion is that there will be a solution to this error forthcoming. Meanwhile You can use a free tool to detect Malware from techspot.com it is called malwarebytes. This comes recommended from a trusted software engineer, if it is good enough for him it's good enough for me. Patience, not as fatal as it feels.

• Hello,

Brad:

Mohammed Saadeh:

In order to solve the update issue go to: Start->Run->type: ncpa.cpl ->OK

1. Right click on your Local Area Connection;

2. Go to Properties;

3. Next,double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and in the new window put a checkmark under: Obtain DNS server address automatically and hit OK. After updating your BitDefender please run a deep system scan to make sure the system is clean.

Please let me know if everything is OK now.

• Hello,

Brad:

Mohammed Saadeh:

In order to solve the update issue go to: Start->Run->type: ncpa.cpl ->OK

1. Right click on your Local Area Connection;

2. Go to Properties;

3. Next,double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and in the new window put a checkmark under: Obtain DNS server address automatically and hit OK. After updating your BitDefender please run a deep system scan to make sure the system is clean.

Please let me know if everything is OK now.

DanyDan,

Following above steps, settings were already <obtain DNS server automatically>

Update ran with no new files although statistics showed files updated today, probably while online earlier.

After or during deep scan windows crashed and Msft error reporting picked it up as a possible processor/BIOS mismatch. No problems reported by deep scan (clean)

So for now this would be a resolved issue and I thank you for helping bring it to that.

BigBadBrad

• Dear DanyDan,

Thanks for your support.

Yesterday I followed your procedures and update was successfully done! Also deep scan followed and system is clean.

Anyhow, today I got same old update error -1011 knowing that DNS Server already obtained automatically before.

So I guess the problem after all is not solved as it should be!

Waiting for final solution from Bitdefender staff...

Yours,

Mohammed

• Hi,

Mohammed I have created a ticket on your behalf with the ID: 201012021023976. Please check your email and send me the requested Update logs. Also please specify what is your Internet Connection type and if you are using any routers and to what network are you connected when the DNS issue occur.

Looking forward to your answer!

• post-38197-1291304363_thumb.jpgDanyDan,

OK the (-1011) error has resurfaced, The taskbar/toolbar icon right click>update resulted in no activity, Running update now from the main BitDefender screen brought me back to the error condition even though there were supposedly 764kB files downloaded.

I'm willing to continue to track this down if you can help.

• Hello,

Brad:

Mohammed:

I need more details and to investigate deeper the cause of the Update issue you currently encounter. Please follow the instructions below then send me via PM ONLY the requested information:

If you would agree, we would like to connect remotely to your computer and troubleshoot this issue. The working hours when we would be able to connect to your computer are between 09:00 -> 18:00 GMT (Monday -> Friday).

If you agree with this and if the hours are suitable, please send us a reply and tell us when you would like us to run the remote session. Provide me with the exact hour, date along with a phone number where we can reach you.

You will have to install the team-viewer application from the link below:

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

Install TeamViewer and set a password.

After this, include in the email reply the TeamViewer ID and the password you set for it.

• Hi,

Mohammed I have created a ticket on your behalf with the ID: 201012021023976. Please check your email and send me the requested Update logs. Also please specify what is your Internet Connection type and if you are using any routers and to what network are you connected when the DNS issue occur.

Dear DanyDan,

Thanks for your concern...

Now, I guess the issue is solved and I believe it was a DNS issue after all. I downloaded program called NameBench from http://code.google.com/p/namebench/ and I run and it gave me best DNS server for my location. After I applied the new DNS values which are:

Primary Server: 192.168.1.254

Secondary Server: 217.144.6.6

I went to update section in BD Internet Security 2011 and run it and it worked fine and after the update ask me to reboot system...

My advice for whom facing same problem to use NameBench to get fastest DNS server for his connection...

Still, if the problem go live again I will surely inform you about it...

Thanks again for your kindness and support...

Mohammed Saadeh

• Hello,

Brad:

Mohammed:

I need more details and to investigate deeper the cause of the Update issue you currently encounter. Please follow the instructions below then send me via PM ONLY the requested information:

If you would agree, we would like to connect remotely to your computer and troubleshoot this issue. The working hours when we would be able to connect to your computer are between 09:00 -> 18:00 GMT (Monday -> Friday).

If you agree with this and if the hours are suitable, please send us a reply and tell us when you would like us to run the remote session. Provide me with the exact hour, date along with a phone number where we can reach you.

You will have to install the team-viewer application from the link below:

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

Install TeamViewer and set a password.

After this, include in the email reply the TeamViewer ID and the password you set for it.

Ok then GMT 14:00 will be 7:00 AM locally for me, I think, I can be up earlier if you wish but let's say you get my PM (email)@9:00 GMT,I'll be up and signed in to get full instructions before 14:00GMT and we'll take it from there.

BigBadBrad

This discussion has been closed.