Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vsserv.exe Was Causing Computer To Download Data Constantly

Options

Hi recently i uncovered a major problem with vsserv.exe.

the problem is this we just received our internet bill for the month of october witch is costing us $3200.00 because of excess data that we apparently downloaded. as you can assume my boss wasn't happy so i set out to find where all this data was downloaded from so i put a bandwidth monitor on all the pc's we have in the office and found one pc was downloading chunks of data constantly of about 200 kb/s for about 5 seconds then would stop for about another 5 seconds then download again and was doing this constantly so i opened up task manager and noticed that when the chunks of data where being downloaded vsserv.exe was using a fair bit of cpu at the same time so i tracked vsserv.exe back to bitdefender uninstalled bitdefender and the downloading stopped.

I also looked at our ISP usage meter and on the exact day that we put bitdefender on our computers the excessive downloading started.

I have also rang up bitdefender support Australia they took my details and said they would get back to me and they have not.

now i see a few problems with this

1. bitdefender has cost us a lot of money in internet bills

2. it may have been a virus but why didn't bitdefender stop the virus? that's what we brought it for!.. altho i have scanned the computers with 3 different virus scanners and have not found a virus on any of our pc's

3. until this is resolved i don't have a virus scanner on our computers because of my boss is to scared it will happen again

i guess what im getting at is i really need someone from bitdefender to help us out and see what we can do about the problem

Comments

• nikki605
    edited November 2010
    Options

phil82 - this issue was discussed in this topic and in the topic that it links to. First, make sure that BD is fully updated - right-click the BD icon in the System Tray and select Update Now. Then try some of the workarounds in the linked topic.

Also, please provide more information about the PC configuration like which BD product are you using - Antivirus, Internet Security, Total Security. Which Windows OS - Xp, Vista, Windows 7 and is it 32-bit or 64-bit. What is the CPU type and speed? Amount of RAM?

Finally, is you want to have BD tech support investigate further, please follow the procedure below and submit the generated log files:

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• i applied a fix from the supplied link u gave me and thought i had it fixed but after coming back in this morning the affected computers was back to downloading data for no reason 400MB worth to be exact so i had to again uninstall the software.

software i have is BD 2011 antivirus package

pc specs are

windows xp 32 bit

CPU is a Pentium E5300 Dual core 2.60 Ghz

2 GIG of ram

i would like a solution to this problem as we paid for a product that seems faulty and we cant use

• Then the next step would be to run the SupportTool and submit the generated log files to BD tech support as I outlined in the 10 step procedure above.

Regards,

• I believe the issue is not actually an issue. Check to see if you have under the Update tab in BitDefender enabled the sharing of updates files:

1. Open Bitdefender Security Center;

2. Switch to Expert View from the Options button;

3. go to the Update tab then to Settings;

4. Uncheck the following options:

- Enable update sharing (P2P)

- Upload BitDefender files from this PC

5. Check to see if the issue is now resolved.

Looking forward to your answer!

This discussion has been closed.