Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Real Vnc S-l-o-o-w W/2011 Total

Options
jobewan
edited December 2010 in Old topics

My VNC connection(s) has/have gone from speedy to completely unusable since upgrading from 2010 Total to 2011 Total. Both my viewer PC and host PC were using the older product, and are now using the new product.

My host is running Windows XP, and my remote is running 64 bit W7.

I can connect from both the inside trusted network, and the outside, as before. When I left the office yesterday, the inside trusted network connection seemed to be going well, although I have had it go s-l-o-w as well before reinstalling 2011 Total. Connecting from the outside clears the name/password hurdle, and that's about it. ?!?

I don't see any obvious reasoning in the firewall settings on either machine. The host has everything disabled except for basic firewall and antivirus - any more disabled and the 2011 Total would not actually do anything.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Experimentation reveals that rebooting the XP host machine allows VNC to connect and function normally - at first. It is only on subsequent connections that things become unusable.

Which of course makes no sense, unless there is a cumulative memory leak or somesuch.

• I may have happened upon a fix at this point:

- I originally installed 2011 Total directly over 2010 Total; several uninstall sessions using [apparently] differing versions of the currently available uninstall tool were used to wipe out both installs, followed by manual deletions in both the registry and file system.

- Reinstalling 2011 generates two or three tiny dialog boxes early on in the install process to the effect of "installation failed".

- Re-running yet another flavor of the uninstall tool from a link in a forum message manages to kill off the faulty 2011 Total installation

- This time, I then re-run the 2011 Total installation, which generates "product already installed" messages time after time.

- Re-running even yet another flavor of the uninstall tool from a link in a forum message manages to kill off the faulty 2011 Total installation

- I then re-run the 2011 Total installation, which seems to work.

- Rebooting the computer generates a fatal boot error (miissing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\SYSTEM). This forces a "Repair" installation of the XP Pro (upgrade) CD/DVD, which after some significant time invested, returns the machine to its former bootable state.

- Reinstalling 2011 AGAIN generates two or three tiny dialog boxes early on in the install process to the effect of "installation failed". However, this 2011 Total installation seems to actually function regardless.

EPILOGUE

It seems that the BitDefender Support unit has beaucoup versions of the uninstall tool, and that perhaps no one version is capable of doing everything necessary to effect a "clean slate" condition on which a new install can be made. This is a symptom of a faulty customer service perspective and focus, which I have found common amongst European IT groups, particularly those of Germanic origins. I do not pretend to understand this tendency to be stuck in the mid 1990's customer-service-wise, only to make note of it.

PERSONALLY, I would find the person or persons responsible for this unacceptable mess, and make them suffer through several faulty uninstall scenarios, in order that they might see exactly why they are being fired. I would then task one (and only one) individual with collapsing the various uninstall tools into one, fully functional version, while eradicating as many of the old crappy versions from the Web as possible. Even better would be for the "perfected" uninstall tool to be part of the new software pack, eliminating the need to perform a separate process.

Other than that, I find BitDefender to be a delightful product.

My VNC connection(s) has/have gone from speedy to completely unusable since upgrading from 2010 Total to 2011 Total. Both my viewer PC and host PC were using the older product, and are now using the new product.

My host is running Windows XP, and my remote is running 64 bit W7.

I can connect from both the inside trusted network, and the outside, as before. When I left the office yesterday, the inside trusted network connection seemed to be going well, although I have had it go s-l-o-w as well before reinstalling 2011 Total. Connecting from the outside clears the name/password hurdle, and that's about it. ?!?

I don't see any obvious reasoning in the firewall settings on either machine. The host has everything disabled except for basic firewall and antivirus - any more disabled and the 2011 Total would not actually do anything.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.