Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Exlusions Not Working

Options
coolcool1227
coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Antivirus

The Exclusion for Files and Folder is not working. Actually I intentionally keep some infected files in a folder, kept them in archive and add it the exclusion list, but Bitdefender still detect the infected files in it.

Kindly note that the infection was found by Auto Scan and there appear no pop-up for detection although Auto-Pilot is turned OFF. It seems that Exclusions are not working for Auto scan.

Comments

• Hello,

You are partially right regarding the issue. Only the exclusions by path are not correctly working with Auto Scan. The exclusions by extensions are working properly.

The issue has been escalated to Dev. and a fix is expected soon, I believe with the next product update. I will post an announcement when it will be release.

Best regards,

• coolcool1227
    Options

The said issue remains. I have added a folder on USB Stick to Exclusions, but it is still scanned during Device Detection Scan.

• The said issue remains. I have added a folder on USB Stick to Exclusions, but it is still scanned during Device Detection Scan.

Yeap same here

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

I have fresh information about this.

Auto Scan uses the settings from On-access. However, it uses the exclusions set for the On-demand scan when connecting and USB stick.

Take care.

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Auto Scan uses the settings from On-access. However, it uses the exclusions set for the On-demand scan when connecting and USB stick.

But I excluded the folder on the USB stick from both On-Access and On-Demand Scan and Bitdefender still scanning it.

• coolcool1227
    Options

I have faced the same issue on another system with updated Bitdefender Total Security 2012 installed.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi Omer

Let's try something else.

Disable Autoscan USB media from Exclusions tab.

Connect the USB stick. Remake those exclusions. Now open (My) Computer, right click on the USB partition made by the stick and run a contextual scan. Let me know if Bitdefender scans those files/folders.

Thank you.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Did accordingly but the issue remains even after updating to the latest Build 15.0.35.1486

• rootkit
    Options

Hello ONT

I just talked to our testing team and the behavior is normal.

Exclusions are not taken in consideration in Contextual scans.

Also, this is considered also a security breach: Windows is allocating in some cases the same drive letter for different devices. In this case, if you set an exclusion for a file on an USB drive and after a while you plug in another USB stick with the same file in the same location, but this time infected, that machine will be infected.

So, as a conclusion, the module is working properly for the current case.

Thank you for your time. Take care.

• USB devices have unique device identifiers, the exclusions should store that information together with the drive letter and use only the device identifier internally, as the USB device can be assigned a different drive letter dynamically, depending on the devices already connected.

Even Symantec supports this, Bitdefender should implement proper USB device support that is not based on drive letters.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello guys :)

After analyzing the last post, I've decided to make a feature request.

This will be on the table on our next meeting with our developers.

Thank you for your support. Happy Holidays!

• Nice. The unique device ID could also be used to disable the pop-up for specific trusted devices, instead of disabling scanning for all "USB media." I've got SD cards that contain my camera's pictures and videos only, backup drives that are the mirror of my already scanned internal drives, flash drives that I sometimes use to transfer movies, none of which is infected.

I trust that even if they were infected and if USB scanning was disabled, Bitdefender would still attempt to scan them if I were running them or copying them to the internal drives.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

I will post here fresh news when I will receive a feedback from our developers.

Have a nice day.

• Hello

I will post here fresh news when I will receive a feedback from our developers.

Have a nice day.

Great stuff , as have tried everything , as listed above in the comments and getting frustrated by the exclusions not working as it should. Look forward to hearing the developers reply .

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hello ONT

Also, this is considered also a security breach: Windows is allocating in some cases the same drive letter for different devices. In this case, if you set an exclusion for a file on an USB drive and after a while you plug in another USB stick with the same file in the same location, but this time infected, that machine will be infected.

So, as a conclusion, the module is working properly for the current case.

Thank you for your time. Take care.

This situation can also be overcome by using the option "On-Demand" available only for USB Devices and not "On-Access", so that even if the infected files are accessed or execute either automatically or manually, the Real Time Protection takes action on it.

The user can also do this practice, but it would be better that Bitdefender has only one option available for USB Devices. i.e "On-Demand".

I have Kingston USB Stick with pre-installed "Kingston UrDrive" software and I want to exclude it from "On-Demand" Scan (Device Detection and Contextual Scan or Custom Scans). Then how would I exclude it?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Omer :)

Why do you need to exclude that software? It is flagged by Bitdefender?

Could you please send me a sample via PM?

Take care.

• writhziden
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hello Omer :)

Why do you need to exclude that software? It is flagged by Bitdefender?

Could you please send me a sample via PM?

Take care.

I am having a similar problem. It is related to the problem I posted in my thread about the false positive (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=33417), but it is related more so to the topic of this thread with USB flash drives and their files being scanned even if those files/directories are set to be excluded. If I turn off on-demand scanning/turn off all features of Bitdefender available to turn off, I would think I could then plug in my USB flash drive without it being scanned. Unfortunately, this is not the case. As soon as the USB flash drive is plugged in, the on-demand scanning turns itself back on and begins scanning the USB flash drive.

I was trying to get a clean file uploaded to Bitdefender's technical support team for analysis to prevent the false positive, but the above behavior prevented me from doing so no matter what I tried for over an hour and a half. I finally resorted to other means. Is the above behavior intentional, or is it a bug? Is there a way to prevent Bitdefender from scanning a USB flash drive that I know is clean by turning off certain features in Bitdefender?

• coolcool1227
    Options

Its Kingston UrDrive software and you can download it from Kingston website.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Some changes will be made to Exclusions and the Auto Scan feature for external devices.

You will see them in the next Bitdefender version, 2013.

I can not reveal them, but please be patient.

The Beta Campaign will be launched soon.

Have a great weekend!